TEAM SHELBY FORUM

"colder" Plugs With A Super Charger Pulley Swap ??

cormy

Every pulley kit I have seen recommends getting away from the stock plugs. Since you have to tune anyway, might as well get it right the first time. Plugs are inexpensive relatively speaking.

i was told by a reputable tuner that they weren't necessary and i ran the same pulley with the OEM Eaton for 50k miles without any problems on stock plugs. have since upgraded to a TVS still with stock plugs and all is good at 60k+ miles. but as vipernc pointed out, it's relatively inexpensive to change them out.

At the very least you need to regap them ot .032. The increased boost has a tendency to blow out the spark. I would not leave my plugs in that long even though they say you can get 100,000 miles out of them. Carbon builds up on the end of the plug and not a good thing on alumnium heads

I too thought you needed colder plugs if you changed your supercharger pulley. The plugs that were recommended to me were a different brand, but the same heat range as stock. As mentioned, the gap it the only thing that really needed to be changed. If you are due for a new set of plugs, you you need to buy a set anyway, but if not, re-gaping the stock set should be fine.

Z-man

During WOT you can't hear pinging or detonation if your fuel or conditions aren't optimal. The colder plug recommendation could be a safeguard. The NGK TR6 plugs are about $2 a piece- cheap! Evolution Performance I believe did the initial tuning and testing with Ford for this mod and they recommend one step colder plug.

Edit: Changing the plugs are very easy on this motor. Takes about 20 minutes. See link above.

Archived