TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Brake Noise

Anybody have a set of the Baer 6 piston Extremes that are noisy when backing up? It only seems to happen when the car sits for awhile, when backing out of the driveway they kind of groan. Fine when moving forward, are they cleaning themselves? After driven for awhile they don't make noise forward or backward.

Yup. Happens to mine.

Jer

I only have the GT500 Brembo upgrade on my SGT and can get it too. However living in the Great Lakes we can be more likely to get. We have enough humidity for rotors to develop a fine layer of oxidation (rotor looks clear or red rust) that works with the higher friction pads. Backing slowly and probably down the driveway gets a low pressure critical friction couple that creates all sorts of potential noises.

Been working OE brakes for years and it is an extremely difficult task to prevent or eliminate. Common term we use is morning sickness. Rear drum brakes on trucks were notorious for vibration they could generate until enough heat was generated to dry out the interface. My wife's Club Wagon had case where it would actually trigger ABS cycling for two to four stops and only fix I could find was very light drag while on the throttle for the first 50 to 100 yards.

Manual transmission cars though are impossible to do that action. I find playing with speed of apply to the brake pedal can find a sweet spot to avoid if you get it all of the time. Random occurrence are much harder to find a fix.

DrKSGT

Brake rotors are bare metal, so they oxidize pretty fast. Some people see light rust on them after a rain or car wash!

Jer

Brake rotors are bare metal, so they oxidize pretty fast. Some people see light rust on them after a rain or car wash!

Jer

Jer,

To be correct it is bare cast iron, one grade above lowest grade cast iron available. It can rust in a heart beat. I have been lucky that I do not get major build up for the 5 to 6 months sitting in an un-heated garage.

Rotors in product I am working on now have a FNC (Ferretic Nitro Carburization) process being done to them to nearly stop this quick rusting condition. Very expensive when dealing with OE price structure but is proving to save large amounts of brake roughness warranty money generated by vehicles setting on Dealer lots for long periods. Somewhat doubt that aftermarket suppliers will quickly adapt to this process due to large capital investment needed to get started.

DrKSGT

Archived