TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Some Kinda Rattle I Can't Seem To Find...

OsirisGT500

Started tearing in to this thing....

TearDownWTFareyoudoing1.jpg

TearDownWTFareyoudoing2.jpg

TearDownWTFareyoudoing11.jpg

TearDownWTFareyoudoing15.jpg

No clue what it is still.... Let's break more crap...

TearDownWTFareyoudoing7.jpg

Something fell out...

TearDownWTFareyoudoing3.jpg

Meh lets ruin the whole thing!

TearDownWTFareyoudoing4.jpg

TearDownWTFareyoudoing10.jpg

TearDownWTFareyoudoing9.jpg

TearDownWTFareyoudoing13.jpg

TearDownWTFareyoudoing14.jpg

TearDownWTFareyoudoing19.jpg

TearDownWTFareyoudoing20.jpg

TearDownWTFareyoudoing16.jpg

TearDownWTFareyoudoing17.jpg

TearDownWTFareyoudoing18.jpg

Yeah, I dunno if I'll ever figure out what it rattling or making so much noise. I suck

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just wanted to share that I also ran into a similar situation with my 2007 SGT about a year ago. Don't give up hope ! Like you I just couldn't put up with it any longer. I like your approach and determination on finding the source/cause of the noise. All that I can tell you is after six months of exploration I came to the conclusion that most of the noise was due to a loose nut behind the wheel.

P.S. - If for some reason , when you put the car back together , there are some extra parts left over - don't worry , they probably didn't belong there in the first place.

HTH

:cool:

This is typical of what happens when you put cheap gas in a high performance vehicle. First the motor goes then the rest of the car deteriorates to almost nothing ! Just give it a good systems flushing and reassemble. Remember - don't use cheap gas next time ! JMO

Gonna try to make the car turn. Going for AIX. I prepped it for seam welding and full cage. The guy who did the Paul Brown Boss 302S GTS winning 2011 World Challenge car that was at the 2011 bash is building it. Wide body fenders are ordered and for some reason there are two more control arms up in the front....

The key problem that I found was somewhere between the steering wheel and drivers seat... I think, at least.

P.S. - If for some reason , when you put the car back together , there are some extra parts left over - don't worry , they probably didn't belong there in the first place.

Reminds me of when I worked as a apprentice at the City of Monterey Mechanical Dept.;

One of the mechanics (Bert Rhule) had a police car engine torn down for a rebuild with the parts strewn all over the floor in a 'exploded view' type of order. One of the other guys went over at lunch time and tossed in a handful of various nuts and bolts. I asked him what he was doing and he said he was messing with Bert and when he got done he would have a handful of various extra nuts & bolts to figure out where they came from!

Phill

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes the simplest explanation is the right one. Case in point - my brother's 2011 5.0 had a "rattle" in the rear trunk that we just couldn't find. Finally, we found out there was a screw running around inside the sheet metal of the trunk lid. The previous owner mounted the GTCS spoiler himself, and obviously lost a screw on the first try. Every now and then it would come lose and start rolling around in there. We did finally get it out and no issue ever since.

• 3 months later...

Nothing good to say so far. I'll let you guys know.... eventually I guess. Sold the Whipple and the stock motor with a stock blower that I got with the Whipple deal. Sold the BMR k member and a arms. Sold the guages, seats, MM cage, sold the open trailer... I have lots of funds waiting. I got a 5.0 motor that I am planning on building for high revs and boost.

Man... and I thought my project to make the car turn was a handful. Yours makes mine look like child's play! Look forward to watching it come together.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice cage layout - can't wait to see the drivers door bars. Are you going forward into the engine bay ? Looks nice and wide - allowing for some crush area - driver should feel pretty safe ! Good to see you test fitting the roof skin. :thumbsup:

Yes we are going forward to the engine bay. It's up in the air if it's to the shock towers or cut them out and down to the frame just in front of the where the towers were. Also going back to the trunk for a reverse 3rd link with adjustability like the drag guys. The door bars are going to be NASCAR sytle. I'm hoping the cage will be ready to burn in by end of week. They still need to seam weld as well. Wheel wells are coming too he says. We'll see.

?

He is using a "short-long arm" set up on the front suspension which is partially mounted on a bolt in cross member and partially mounted to the base of the front shock tower on the front frame rail. He needs to tie in the front suspension pick up point to the cage for rigidity (flex control) and will need to run tubing from top bracket of the front suspension (inside of the shock tower) to the "A" pillar/ dash bar and without adding a bunch of front percentage weight. So the question is how do you run tubing from the cage - through the firewall and get to the front upper suspension mount plate. Do you go through the stock shock tower or cut it out all together and do the rules permit you to remove the front shock towers? JMO

Also will need to plate the rear mount point (under the car) of the front cross member so it doesn't get crushed and tie it to the cage if permitted in the rules.

Archived