TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Spark Plugs / Coil Packs

I am a believer that stock ignitions generally can keep up with pretty much anything till you get to a dedicated race car status.... no reason to change other than cosmetics in most cases.

Good info and I trust what you have to say. I have seen a few advertisements which claim 2-3 HP gains but I would agree that appearance is the biggest benefit.

Absolutely agree to stick with the stock coil packs. I had to change mine with the new heads to the newer coil packs (2008+) so I though I would change to aftermarket since I had to change anyhow. I went with Granetelli's since I've always known them to be a good name in racing. Guess what, they were absolute junk. We couldn't get a good tune for nothing. Kept getting misfire codes, on and on. My tuner told me that the stock coil packs are good to well over 700 hp, probably over 900. So I ordered new Ford coil packs and the tune went clean. So yes, I have not heard of any aftermarket coil packs for the 3V motor which can even compare to stock. As far as plugs go, I had to go a range colder for the SC, but mainly, I would just change to a good one piece plug to help alieviate the possibility of breakage.

Probably also depends on the climate where you live and how well the car is taken care of, being in a garage, etc. I've only heard a couple of horror stories, but have never seen any problems myself. Mine came out like butter at 30K miles. I have a buddy who pulled his at 145K miles on his GT with no problems at all.

P.S. do you want a set of near new Granatelli coil packs? Only dyno time on them......! :hysterical:

• 2 weeks later...

My stock plugs are burning the electrode tips on my 2009 GT500. Everything is stock including the tune except for the Pype bombs axle back exhaust. I took it in to the local Ford dealer a few months ago and they replaced all the plugs with stock Autolite variety and replaced the fuel pump. Now about 4,000 mile later the plug tips are burning again. Has anyone else had this problem? Could just the exhaust cause it to lean out this much without throwing a code?

My stock plugs are burning the electrode tips on my 2009 GT500. Everything is stock including the tune except for the Pype bombs axle back exhaust. I took it in to the local Ford dealer a few months ago and they replaced all the plugs with stock Autolite variety and replaced the fuel pump. Now about 4,000 mile later the plug tips are burning again. Has anyone else had this problem? Could just the exhaust cause it to lean out this much without throwing a code?

Probably be better off asking that question in the GT500 tech section. You are in the Shelby GT/GT-H section.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would have a plug extractor kit handy. At 45k, following the Ford TSB instructions, I had 7 come out fine, one not. I used the NAPA extractor kit and getting the broken one out was not a problem. Scared the heck out of me at first though.

Good info and I trust what you have to say. I have seen a few advertisements which claim 2-3 HP gains.........

That is absolute bullshit. You will NOT gain any horsepower (or torque) with high performance coil packs or coils. Your ignition system only requires Nn KV and no amount of reserve voltage will force anything other than the required voltage for the engine.

If you require more voltage than what the coils can put out a hi-perf coil would be in order. But considering you typically have ~75% reserve voltage that would be pretty much impossible. You would have to increase boost by about 500% to require more voltage than a OEM coil pack is capable of producing.

It's marketing hype, as simple as that.

Phill

Archived