TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Car Hit In Parking Lot, For Any Lawyers Here

First off, it wasn't my Shelby, this happened to my Mom. She was parked in the lot of the bank where she has done business for the last 50 years or so. When she exited the bank she noticed someone had backed into the driver's door on her car and left ($1300 damage). Seeing how there was only one other customer in the bank while she was inside (a man with a walker) and only one other car parked near hers in the handicapped spot, she figured it must have been him. She had held the door for him as she entered and he was leaving. When she went back into the bank and asked the teller for the man's name they said something about privacy and would not tell her who he was. Now, nobody actually witnessed this guy hitting her car, but the bank does have security camera footage that might show what happened. The police were called to the bank, an accident report was filed and they were informed about this guy that may have been the person who hit her car.

My question is this. Can the bank be forced to produce the name of the man in question or at least the video to see what happened? The officer who took the report wasn't much help answering my Mom's questions.

Stuff like this pisses me off big time. Both the man leaving the scene and the bank where my folks have done business for so long not even trying to help. I told my Mom if it were me I would withdraw every cent I had on deposit with that bank. Unreasonable? Are the bank's hands really tied like they say?

Your thoughts appreciated,

Thanks,

Chip

The Officer should have been allowed to viewed the Video for the investigation. This happened to a friend of mine at a Wal Mart. They would not let him see the Video but told him to call the Police and they will let the Officer view it. He was able to see the Construction Truck with the Name on the Door which was all that was needed.

Yup as a police officer, I've never had business including banks deny me access to surveillance video. The officer should be able to ID the other driver in his offense report. Once the investigation is complete, you can request the report through open records.

Also, it's really the insurance company's job to do all this for your mother, that's what we pay them for.

Thanks guys, my parents are getting on in years and they tend to believe whatever they are told. My siblings and I constantly keep an eye on them to make sure nobody scams them. It has been tough to watch such strong minded, strong willed, unflappable folks slowly turn into such passive, vulnerable and frail individuals. My sister has talked to their insurance company and provided them with information on how they may be able to figure out who hit mom's car, but she said they don't seem the slightest bit interested in taking it any further. Mom has already paid the deductible, but I am still going to give them a call to let them know that I think they should look into this further.

Thanks again,

Chip

Thanks guys, my parents are getting on in years and they tend to believe whatever they are told. My siblings and I constantly keep an eye on them to make sure nobody scams them. It has been tough to watch such strong minded, strong willed, unflappable folks slowly turn into such passive, vulnerable and frail individuals. My sister has talked to their insurance company and provided them with information on how they may be able to figure out who hit mom's car, but she said they don't seem the slightest bit interested in taking it any further. Mom has already paid the deductible, but I am still going to give them a call to let them know that I think they should look into this further.

Thanks again,

Chip

The insurance company has to figure their cost of recovering (including labor to investigate, the cost of subrogating against the other's insurance, etc). For this small amount it isn't worth it...

Concur, it is a crime, and the tape is evidence in a crime. Most entities will provide the tape to the police, especially a bank, upon request. At the most they would need a subpoena. I am sure the insurance company will want to recover the 1,300.00 rather than pay. And it is better for your mom to show that the company has paid less out for her as this effects future rates. There does not need to be a lawsuit to recover the video.

Update...........called my Mom's insurance company this afternoon and was surprised at what they told me. This is a small agent in a small town and it seems my Mom and the man that hit her car share the same insurance agent. Turns out the other guy filed a claim for damage to his vehicle as well. The insurance guy wouldn't tell me, but somehow he was able to figure out the two incidents were related. He did say the other driver thought he had backed into a snow drift and not another vehicle. Happy ending! Mom gets her deductible back, but it does suck her 16,000 mile 2003 Buick Lasabre limited won't be quite as perfect as it was.

Chip

Update...........called my Mom's insurance company this afternoon and was surprised at what they told me. This is a small agent in a small town and it seems my Mom and the man that hit her car share the same insurance agent. Turns out the other guy filed a claim for damage to his vehicle as well. The insurance guy wouldn't tell me, but somehow he was able to figure out the two incidents were related. He did say the other driver thought he had backed into a snow drift and not another vehicle. Happy ending! Mom gets her deductible back, but it does suck her 16,000 mile 2003 Buick Lasabre limited won't be quite as perfect as it was.

Chip

Good News! And a tip of the hat for your insurance agent for putting the puzzle together!

Archived