TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Man... I'm An Idiot.

ViperNC

Ever have one of those days where you do something really stupid to your car? Just took the '09 out for lunch and found the coveted spot in the parking lot... you know the one: wide spot next to an island where no one can door ding you. So I park real close to the curb, make sure there is no way the big SUV next to me could possibly door ding me, and turn the ignition off. Everything is good... until I open the door. There is a "decorative rock" in the grass of the island and I didn't see it. And now I have a rock chip on the lower door panel. Man..... I'm an idiot. :gaah:

Ever have one of those days where you do something really stupid to your car? Just took the '09 out for lunch and found the coveted spot in the parking lot... you know the one: wide spot next to an island where no one can door ding you. So I park real close to the curb, make sure there is no way the big SUV next to me could possibly door ding me, and turn the ignition off. Everything is good... until I open the door. There is a "decorative rock" in the grass of the island and I didn't see it. And now I have a rock chip on the lower door panel. Man..... I'm an idiot. :gaah:

Wait until you ram your front splitter into a wheel stop....

Don't ask me how I know.

Phill

ViperNC, at least it just a chip and not a dent. Surely you know a good paint guy that can touch it up. You'll never know it happened once they fix it. Plus, you'll never do that again! That's why they say Sh*t Happens.

I pulled a totally stOOpid 'bozo no-no' with my car but it is SOOOO stOOpid, I'm ashamed to tell of it!

Maybe one day....

Phill (it has to do with letting the car roll off of the ramps!)

Wait until you ram your front splitter into a wheel stop....

Don't ask me how I know.

Phill

I feel your pain. Done that one before as well. Fortunately, the bumper cover allowed the splitter to "scrape over" the wheel stop and it did not crack. Got lucky on that one.

Is the chip on the door edge? If so, you may be able to cover it with some color coordinated door edge guards. I put some on my Shelby just to protect the edges. Check out this site. Note that they will send you a color sample card in advance for free so you can pick out the exact color match. http://www.brandsport.com/trimgard1.html

Door edge. I have the G9 touch up paint and a micro brush. Once complete, the only person that will ever know it is there is me.

I feel your pain, I have yet to spend the $300 plus to repair the damage to my left front rim from a peice of road debris. At least the damage is only visual and didn't bend/break the rim.

War wounds are part of the enjoyment of the ride. The alternative of keeping your ride in the garage and only for show trophies is not my idea of fun. I already have had to replace the front splitter on the GT350 once and expect to have to do it again so I ordered two replacements.

sorry Ingot........door edge guards? really? running up the whole vertical edge of the door?....... :drop:

Some of the cosmetic mods I see on member cars make their cars look really ugly IMO. For example, I think fake louvers and scoops make a Shelby, look, well --- fake. I also think a car covered with stickers and decals looks like crap. However, I withhold my opinion and let the members enjoy what they think looks good on their cars. Perhaps you should take a look at the guards (functional not fake) before you make fun of them. There are many varieties and they look really good. With the right color match you can hardly see them. As an added bonus they protect the door edge from chips in the paint. Had ViperNC had these installed, maybe there would have been no damage at all.

What about us :party:

DOH!

Some of the cosmetic mods I see on member cars make their cars look really ugly IMO. For example, I think fake louvers and scoops make a Shelby, look, well --- fake. I also think a car covered with stickers and decals looks like crap. However, I withhold my opinion and let the members enjoy what they think looks good on their cars. Perhaps you should take a look at the guards (functional not fake) before you make fun of them. There are many varieties and they really good. With the right color match you can hardly see them. As an added bonus they protect the door edge from chips in the paint. Had ViperNC had these installed, maybe there would have been no damage at all.

Yeah.... That would have saved the day. And so would a greater situational awareness on my part. Double DOH!

OUCH.......How about backing into a spot, drivers side next to the Curb, you get out with no problems at all. Then when you get ready to leave, you open the door all the way, then you drop down into the seat and the car drops down and "BANG" the door comes down on the Curb HARD, denting the lower edge the width of the Curb. That happened to a buddies Shelby while I was standing there..........the sound that door made.......... made my teeth hurt.

DOH!

Yeah.... That would have saved the day. And so would a greater situational awareness on my part. Double DOH!

You know,it always sucks when we seem to miss the obvious!!! If only hindsight was 20/20 eh!

I have had small chips in various places on my car,nailed my splitter countless times sometimes over the kerb,against the kerb and even bending it against it! (Boy am I glad I didn't put on a nice Carbon fibre one on!!!)

My last DOH was a couple of weeks ago just after I got my car shipped down to my winter home in Phoenix. I parked under the carport and didn't look too hard at is position under it. I parked just next to one of the aluminium support posts. Opened the door and just touched the post with the painted door handle,no problem I thought!!! Wrong,just in case you don't know(why would you!) I have Lambo doors on my car....so just as the door handle touched the metal it decided that it could also start its journey upwards as well!!! Arrrggghhh!

Yes,I caught it quick but not before it put 4or 5 nice little scratches all along part of it :(.

Oh well,as we all have those DOH moments!!!....thank heavens for touch-up paint!!!

at least you didn't walk into a swimming pool completely sober to play with your kids and one comes up with a pack of smokes out of the water...the pack that was in your pocket with your iPhone5....and before you mention it. NO rice bag does not work.

LOL...Good stories here. I still have a scar from that road trip from Vegas to Wisconsin last summer to a Rock Fest. The whole route was pre planned etc with scenery and all. Along the way i hit the detours in Wyoming around Casper. During rush hour i got turned around and had to make quick driving decisions and pulled over for a quick map look in a scrub gas station at a busy intersection. Did'nt see the 2 foot 45 degree drop back onto the road. Scrapes still visual :(

Then the bugs through the midwest and back. I washed the car about dozen times before i got back to Vegas and some remnants are still there. I'll see if Derek from Cali can take care of it during the 50th :)

The BEST thing for Bugs on the Car are "Bounce Dryer Sheets" (not the Foam Sheets). Hose the Bugs off as much as possible then use the Dryer Sheet like a wash cloth, they take the bugs off with very little effort.

Thanks fer the tip! I'll remember that for the next trip up there next year :)

The BEST thing for Bugs on the Car are "Bounce Dryer Sheets" (not the Foam Sheets). Hose the Bugs off as much as possible then use the Dryer Sheet like a wash cloth, they take the bugs off with very little effort.

LOL...Good stories here. I still have a scar from that road trip from Vegas to Wisconsin last summer to a Rock Fest. The whole route was pre planned etc with scenery and all. Along the way i hit the detours in Wyoming around Casper. During rush hour i got turned around and had to make quick driving decisions and pulled over for a quick map look in a scrub gas station at a busy intersection. Did'nt see the 2 foot 45 degree drop back onto the road. Scrapes still visual :(

Then the bugs through the midwest and back. I washed the car about dozen times before i got back to Vegas and some remnants are still there. I'll see if Derek from Cali can take care of it during the 50th :)

The dried on bugs are always a challenge! I use a proper Bug sponge and Mothers Showtime.

A quick spray,gently scrub them off and buff up the area..........no marking of the finish,easy and effective!

Of course you could go the route of one of my buddies on a road trip to a show,use Blue painters tape all across the front of his nice shiny black Saleen!!! Kept the bugs off but it took him years to live down the hard time we gave him!

Actually the simplest, easiest and best for your paint is to use a turkish wash cloth with cold RO water and make a paste on it of baking soda. Dab the wet baking soda on the bugs, do not scrub....let stand 2 minutes and power rinse off or go back over again with soft wet cloth softly.

What sticks to your car is the bugs fluids...that's 90% acid...baking soda neutralizes acid. Just give it a minute to work it's magic. It's also not near as abrasive as some of the scrubber sponges.

We all have those moments... I'll never forget parallel parking on the street in Carmel one night and all the sudden heard a horrid scrape... Turns out they have huge curbs that stick out into the street going around trees every 3 or so parking spots that we couldn't see with the nearby streetlight out. Fortunately it was just some curb rash on the rim and not any serious damage, but it nearly killed me. :drop:

Actually the simplest, easiest and best for your paint is to use a turkish wash cloth with cold RO water and make a paste on it of baking soda. Dab the wet baking soda on the bugs, do not scrub....let stand 2 minutes and power rinse off or go back over again with soft wet cloth softly.

What sticks to your car is the bugs fluids...that's 90% acid...baking soda neutralizes acid. Just give it a minute to work it's magic. It's also not near as abrasive as some of the scrubber sponges.

Another actuality is that the laundry products for pre-treating stains work by means of enzyme action. Used to be Spray-'n'-Wash, now some single word like Resolve, if sprayed liberally on a wetted, bug be-splattered area and allowed to stand renders the bugstuff soupy, so it can be rinsed off.

My car's front was purely caked with the Texas Lubber innards after Terlingua 2008. When I got home in the evening I water-sprayed it and Spray-'n'-Wash sprayed it. In the morning 99.999% washed off with a stream from the hose; the rest wiped off with a wet shop rag, no scrubbing.

2907366641_1ea4e3335a.jpg

No grill on the lower opening. This was a month after the trip. No telling how many had dried up and blown away.

3013610311_f5a0aca71d.jpg

The Texas Lubber - a BIG bug

TexasLubberGrasshopperCrop.jpg

Another actuality is that the laundry products for pre-treating stains work by means of enzyme action. Used to be Spray-'n'-Wash, now some single word like Resolve, if sprayed liberally on a wetted, bug be-splattered area and allowed to stand renders the bugstuff soupy, so it can be rinsed off.

My car's front was purely caked with the Texas Lubber innards after Terlingua 2008. When I got home in the evening I water-sprayed it and Spray-'n'-Wash sprayed it. In the morning 99.999% washed off with a stream from the hose; the rest wiped off with a wet shop rag, no scrubbing.

2907366641_1ea4e3335a.jpg

No grill on the lower opening. This was a month after the trip. No telling how many had dried up and blown away.

3013610311_f5a0aca71d.jpg

The Texas Lubber - a BIG bug

TexasLubberGrasshopperCrop.jpg

That's catfish bait! Grin.gif

Archived