TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Stored Data Loss When Disconnecting Battery

maqueswell

Hello my fellow GT500 fans,

I purchased a new Billet Battery Cover. When I disconnect the battery will I lose everything that's stored in the Nav unit i.e. phone numbers and stored music?I cannot find in the owners manual if it'll happen.

Thanks in advance!

Mad Max

post-42721-0-01825200-1394485984_thumb.jpg

I purchased a new Billet Battery Cover. When I disconnect the battery will I lose everything that's stored in the Nav unit i.e. phone numbers and stored music?I cannot find in the owners manual if it'll happen.

Thanks in advance!

Mad Max

There is an easy way to prevent your loss of data anytime you have to disconnect the battery. Buy a jump starter with a 12 Volt outlet and male-to-male 12 Volt extension cord. Simply plug one end of the cord into the jump starter and the other into a power outlet in the car. To work, the power outlet you choose must be live with the vehicle turned off and the keys removed (on some vehicles they are not). The outlet in the middle of the dash on my 2012 works great for this purpose. The jump starter will keep current flowing to your electronic components with a memory. You will lose nothing with the battery disconnected. The unit I have is a Clore JNC660 "Jump-N-Carry" 1,700 peak amp jump starter. It is very powerful and the best such unit I have ever owned. As an added bonus, it can stay plugged into an AC wall socket to charge indefinitely without damaging the unit. It is always ready with a full charge when needed. http://www.amazon.com/Clore-JNC660-Jump-N-Carry-12-Volt-Starter/dp/B000JFJLP6

IngotSilverSnake

Thanks for the info, but I was wondering if by default the data stored is lost. I have a similar unit like that, I need to purchase the male to male extension cord.

If you mean is the data lost if you disconnect the battery, the answer is yes. I think that is the case with most late model cars. For example, if you change the battery on my wife's BMW, not only will the data be lost, but the new battery must be "registered" to the car with a special BMW scan tool or many of the electronic functions in the car will not work properly.

Hey MadLock,

This isn't a slip on cover, It's an actual tie down type that requires battery removal, it's really slick actually. I'm having a new sub & AMP installed in a few weeks and I'll install it during that time since the battery will have to be disconnected anyways. Oh and I think that since the car has the NAV/Entertainment package the data will (hopefully might) be stored 10 gig Hard Drive. Fingers crossed!

Thanks in advance!

Mad Max

I disconnect the battery on my 2010 all the time and NO, you don't lose memory to the Nav.

i can't remember if I have to resave my AM/FM/SAT memory or not but I don't ever remember having to reset them. Or the clock.

I *do* have to reset the power window memory *every* time I lose power to them though.

But that's the only thing I can think of that I have to reset. Well, that and the Idle Learn.

Phill

Phil,

YOU ARE THE MAN!!!

Thanks....Max

Naw, I'm just *A* man! <lol>

You're welcome,

Phill

• 2 weeks later...

I wondered if those were still around. You can make your own but be double sure to get the polarity correct.

Phill

Well Folks I managed to install the billet battery cover. FYI...no data was lost (i.e. downloaded music or phone list), The only thing that was lost was the time, once the GPS synced the time was set automatically AND to the military time. So the question has been answered!!

Now for the cover install, I really feel that the design could've been a tad bit better (i.e. how it actually connects to the battery tray), and the directions need to be re-written. Does anyone else who has installed the cover feel the same way? Or maybe I just need smaller hands!!!!

Mad Max

Max,

Agree, the install is not intuitive, but there's pretty much only one way to get everything lined up and pointed in the right direction. I don't know about smaller hands, but working back by the firewall was a bit of a challenge. Worth it, I think, for the finished look.

All the best,

Quinn

Quinn,

After the installation battle was "won", and I cleaned the cover off (my blood & battery grease)...It does look very nice. The Fuse Box cover looks damn good also and is a perfect fit. I don't think the 3M tape was necessary, but I did use it.

Great Weekend

Max

Archived