TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Gt350 Ordering/building Advice

RaisedOnFords

Hello folks. I just joined Team Shelby and I am looking for tips and advice on the order and building of your GT350. Anything you wish you would have ordered for options or is there anything you regretted ordering? Was anyone able to get photos of their vehicle being built? Did any of you make any types of requests of sales staff to make the process more memorable, ie sign your vehicle, build team photo with the vehicle, etc? Hopefully Shelby American will receive my GHIG mustang this month. Options ordered (so far) are polished S/C, interior upgrade with Recaros, spoiler, window block offs, car cover, and vintage emblem set.

They are done taking orders, I ordered before the end of the year. Shelby should be getting the donor car from Ford this month. I can still modify my order until they start the build and that is why I'm asking for advice.

Thanks.

Go for it all as it is the end of the production of this great Shelby. 624 HP, six piston brakes all around, watts link, Shelby Kicker stereo, cooling package.

AGREED.

Max it out - speak with Frankie in sales and get his take on some "Speed Shop" options.

The Sales Team will take photos for you during the build - all you have to do is ask.

Congrats!

Hello folks. I just joined Team Shelby and I am looking for tips and advice on the order and building of your GT350. Anything you wish you would have ordered for options or is there anything you regretted ordering? Was anyone able to get photos of their vehicle being built? Did any of you make any types of requests of sales staff to make the process more memorable, ie sign your vehicle, build team photo with the vehicle, etc? Hopefully Shelby American will receive my GHIG mustang this month. Options ordered (so far) are polished S/C, interior upgrade with Recaros, spoiler, window block offs, car cover, and vintage emblem set.

Hi

Congratulations on your purchase. I have a 2011 with 34k miles on it and really love it!

I have modified my car from what Shelby allowed in the first model year run for better ride and handling. I communicated my experiences with SAI and they now offer a lot of options like or similar to what I have done.

The big questions is what is your intended use? Driver, track, combo, collector, etc.

I drive my car, 10,000 miles are to events such as the Bashes. I also track it 4 to 5 times a year. I did daily drive it for two years, but I now only street drive occasionally.

My car came with the 624HP motor, watt's link and museum delivery.

Subsequently, I have removed the Eibach coil overs (boxed up and put away for the next owner to use in his restoration) Eibach was the only suspension option in the first 100 cars. The ride was terrible and not adjustable. It was also not really optimized for track performance either.

I replaced the Eibach set up with Ford Racing K springs, however I believe Shelby uses FRPP P springs as the standard fitment now. I chose Tokico D Specs for struts and shock, as they are adjustable and I have run them with great success in other Mustangs over the years. This mod allows for a very compliant street ride and when adjust to full hard, a killer track set up. I believe Shelby also has adjustable struts and shocks as an option.

I also removed the Eibach sway bars, as their shape caused them to bind. I replaced them with Saleen front and rear and the improvement was dramatic, both street and track. I believe Shelby offers Ford Racing sway bars, which are very close in size and shape to Saleen.

As I am probably the guy with the most miles, I have found the weakest link - the Getrag MT82 stock maul transmission. The stock trans is barely rated for the torque of the stock motor and if you google it, you will find a myriad of horror stories and failures from other Mustang owners. I installed an Tremec Magnum XL 6 spd, dual disc clutch/flywheel/bell housing kit from Modern Driveline. Shelby can also install this kit. Given you have the 624HP blower option, this will ultimately become a necessity unless you are a collector.

While the 624HP motor is amazing, it does have flaws that can be pretty economically corrected. The stock Ford Racing tune that come from SAI is adequate, but for less than a $1K, you can dramatically improve the overall performance - either on the boost or off. I went with a JLT cold air kit and an AED tune. I believe Shelby installs something very similar to mine. The big improvement comes from adding some variable exhaust cam timing back into the car. FRPP defeats the VVCT when to blower is installed. You may want to check with Gil on this, but I heard that Ford was modifying the tunes to add this feature and may also have done so by now. Dyno performance on my car improved from 531 RWHP with the stock 624HP to 620RWHP with JLT and the tune. Almost 100hp! and I have 19K miles on this set up without issue.

The last thing is tire choice, the Goodyear Supercar Gen IIs are horrible, spend the money with Shelby for the Michelins.

If you want to chat some more, send me private message and we can exchange telephone numbers.

Regards,

Michael

RaisedOnFords:

Listen to McGuirk!

He gave very sound advice.

Although I haven't his miles (9,400 as of last look) and I can't track the 'vert, every issue he raised (right down to the trans) has stared me right in the face.

Better to address things during the build than after - it's cheaper and far less stressful.

Hope to see you at the Bash and Mustang 50th in LV.

Welcome to the fraternity!

If it was me I would go for the gt500 ss . So as for the GT350 I would do 624 hp polished , brakes , cooling , suspension , driveshaft , interior and factory delivery . Have fun doing it don't cut cost spend :clapping:

What's that old phrase.... "go big or go home". Since they are not making anymore and you got in under the wire go as deep as you wallet will allow.

Congrats on your order! By all means get the painted stripes. I've had both vinyl and painted and I'd never consider anything but painted again.

John

Painted stripes not an option anymore

Even though I don't have one, my thought is that if you are ordering a car like this and spending thousands of $'s, might as well spend a few $'s more and get everything! You know how the old saying go's that its better to have too much than not enough. Like mentioned before, at least listen to MMcGuirk, he knows. Just my $.02

Archived