TEAM SHELBY FORUM

So Now I'm Down A Different Super Snake Wheel Path............

When I first requested an replacement for the stub stem, SPP sent me the part in that link. Unfortunately, they had earlier installed the wrong TPMS with a longer stem. Finally they later sent me the correct stub stem in your link and the correct TPMS.

Ok, so you are saying that the SPP part that I linked is just a stub/holder for the TPMS sensor and not a "short TPMS" unit as it seems to indicate in the SPP title? it is only a holder for the TPMS and the sensor itself had to "also" be purchased?

Does this stub/holder also allow the cap to be unscrewed and air to be filled/check at this point?

I'm just trying to figure out exactly what that part does? There is not really any sort of description other than "Short TPMS".

R

You will need the part from the link you sent, but you will also need a TPMS. Best thing to do is call Jeremy at SPP and he will set you up with the exact parts I just ordered last week. Tell him you need the same part that "Austin" ordered for a 2013 SS wheel.

Everything I have on my 2013 wheels works fine, but the SPP link stubs look so much cleaner.

R

• 4 weeks later...

The 2012-2014Super Snake" wheels are manufactured by Modulare, H9, 3 piece.

^^^^Thanks, I was told Hyperstang made them. I went to the Modulare site and looked at the H9's, they look like my Super Snake wheels. Thanks again.

At first these wheels came out on the 2013, 2012 still had the Alcoa's. After the Alcoa's were discontinued and all stock was exhausted, I noticed that the 2007-2012 and the 2013/14 Super Snake brochures/flyers show the Modulare H9 wheels as standard install wheels in the bright and dark finish. I am not sure if they are still currently the standard install or if it has changed again? maybe similar to the wheel that is currently installed on the Mustang GT Super Snake?

R

​I picked up my 2012 Super Snake in July, 2013. Between the time I ordered and picked up the car, Shelby advised me that the wheels changed from Alcoa to the Modulare. I was happy to get the wider wheels even though SAI could have put wider tires on them! I received 255 tires in front, and 295 in the rear. A friend was able to fit 335 on the rear of his 2013 SS without a problem. I am not a fan of powder coated wheels; it takes a lot of time to get them looking good after cleaning. Haven't decided if/when I may have them refinished; Modulare will help with that if I pay for the change. Modulare does advise checking the wheel assembly bolts for the torque spec periodically. SAI has the tech bulletin; 18 foot pounds on the wheel assembly bolts. You have to skip the bold adjacent to the tire valve.

I had purchased a set of 50th Anniversary Alcoa wheels before I purchased the SS package. Nice wheels, but narrow for this car. I later traded them and bought a set of Jongbloed 305's for track days.

​It appears that SAI is using a different wheel on the current Super Snakes.

Thank you for the insight on the TPMS! I run the OEM TPMS/valve in the Jongbloed wheels and the car stays happy when I swap back and forth after being synchronized.

​I picked up my 2012 Super Snake in July, 2013. Between the time I ordered and picked up the car, Shelby advised me that the wheels changed from Alcoa to the Modulare. I was happy to get the wider wheels even though SAI could have put wider tires on them! I received 255 tires in front, and 295 in the rear. A friend was able to fit 335 on the rear of his 2013 SS without a problem. I am not a fan of powder coated wheels; it takes a lot of time to get them looking good after cleaning. Haven't decided if/when I may have them refinished; Modulare will help with that if I pay for the change. Modulare does advise checking the wheel assembly bolts for the torque spec periodically. SAI has the tech bulletin; 18 foot pounds on the wheel assembly bolts. You have to skip the bold adjacent to the tire valve.

I had purchased a set of 50th Anniversary Alcoa wheels before I purchased the SS package. Nice wheels, but narrow for this car. I later traded them and bought a set of Jongbloed 305's for track days.

​It appears that SAI is using a different wheel on the current Super Snakes.

Thank you for the insight on the TPMS! I run the OEM TPMS/valve in the Jongbloed wheels and the car stays happy when I swap back and forth after being synchronized.

I had a spare pair of Super Snake Alcoa's widened to 12" wayyyy back when people were first exploring wider Super Snake wheel options. I was one of the first (if not the first) to experiment and find that the 10" rear Alcoa's work/fit Great on the front, and also use the wider 275 rubber up front for better grip on an already heavy nosed GT500.

Shown below is my 325/30 12" rear and 275/35 10" front...........(and a KR splitter)

013_zpsrznssjzl.jpg

004_zpsyrjdflrk.jpg

^^^^Before these 325's I had a pair of 335/30 Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's, they fit the 12" Alcoa's, but stuck out beyond the rear wheel wells a little bit more than "the look" that I wanted.

Your mention of July 2013 indicates that any 2007-2012 Super Snake owner who sent their car to be upgraded was going to get the newer wheels, so that provides an approx. time period when this wheel change happened away from Alcoa's <<<Thank you for that info. and thank you again for the tip on Modulare as the maker of these wheels!!

R

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so you are saying that the SPP part that I linked is just a stub/holder for the TPMS sensor and not a "short TPMS" unit as it seems to indicate in the SPP title? it is only a holder for the TPMS and the sensor itself had to "also" be purchased?

Does this stub/holder also allow the cap to be unscrewed and air to be filled/check at this point?

I'm just trying to figure out exactly what that part does? There is not really any sort of description other than "Short TPMS".

R

The description is incorrect. It should be something like "Short TPMS Mounting Stud". It is not hollow, just a way to mount the TPMS. I bought the Shelby Parts studs (Short TPMS) and ordered TPMS sensors from Dorman that screwed to the Valve Stem they came with. I combined the Shelby studs with the Dorman sensors and was good to go.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

I actually installed the band TPMS on mine and used two flush valve stem kits on the inside wheel. New bands and mounting were $30 from American Muscle, and the flush valve stem packs (Gorilla Awsome) were $40 on Amazon. Reused old sensors. Absolutely no chance of rubbing anywere and you never see them. Worked out great.

I actually installed the band TPMS on mine and used two flush valve stem kits on the inside wheel. New bands and mounting were $30 from American Muscle, and the flush valve stem packs (Gorilla Awsome) were $40 on Amazon. Reused old sensors. Absolutely no chance of rubbing anywere and you never see them. Worked out great.

post-35652-0-19254200-1475620812_thumb.jpg

Archived