TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Gas Line Crease In Plastic Leader To Fuel Filter

I decided today that I would do a simple "maintenance" item to my Shelby...put in a new fuel filter. Well 3 hours later I am done BUT I noticed that the short plastic tube that connects to the fuel filter, on the gas tank, side had a "crease" in it. I put it all back together and there are not any leaks but I am concerned about a failure at the crease.

I attached one pic of the "possible problem" to this post.

The crease is in what looks like a piece of "heatshrink" that goes from the rear metal fuel line to the plastic push-on connector?

Can this short plastic tube be replaced? Or is a new fuel line required from the gas tank to the fuel filter?

Thanks Everyone.

MSB Mustang / Mark

post-8918-0-78409000-1394168505_thumb.png

Mark,

Looks like someone bent back or folded back the line when changing the filter. I would suggest replacing the line section from the tank to the filter. Trying to replace just the plastic portion is questionable at best. ( it's like asking someone if you can weld up a crack in a gas tank after fuel has been in it ) it can be done just not advised.

Well, you can only buy it in a bundle of parts, the plastic shield and various lines. The Part # for the bundle is 7R3Z9J279A and it costs $169 from Tousley Ford Parts (which is now called Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake). It may have been like this for the past 85K miles! Or it may have happened 35k or so ago when I had the filter replaced. Or maybe I made it worse when changing the filter this time.

I would really like to just glue/sealant something over the crease area but if everyone thinks buying a new line is the safest way to go then (even though I am still out of work) I will have to "Pony Up" the $170 plus shipping to buy the entire package of parts. But then the question is how hard is it to replace this entire line. Tousley said they think you have to pull the gas tank to do it! Grabber do you have the procedure on how to replace the gas line from the gas tank to the fuel filter.

I added a second closeup pic of the crease in the plastic line to this posting.

I am a little afraid to drive it now. Should I be?

Thanks Every Everyone,

Mark / MSB Mustang

Just called Ford Parts because Tousley said they did not know about shipping. Turns out Ford Parts says the kit of parts cannot be shipped. It must be picked up a local dealer! Which of course increases the price to $250 or so. Anyone have any other ideas? Gluing something over the crease" ? Hose Clamp? Is the plastic piece something that can be cut off and re-Heat-Shrinked? You can tell it was heatshrinked on by the way it conforms to the ridges in the push on connector on the left side.

Concerned about it starting to leak while I am driving? But then again it was probably there for the past 85K miles!

Thanks everyone for your help with this.

Mark / MSB Mustang

post-8918-0-87485100-1394225787_thumb.jpg

A company called Dorman makes fuel filter connectors with an 18" nylon pigtail and then they make a second pressure fit coupling that goes on the metal fuel line and heat connects to the nylon pigtail from the fuel filter connector. The two part #'s are Dorman 800-050 and 800-036. Looks like these will work just fine. Has anyone used these before?

Mark / MSB Mustang

I would not attempt a repair to this line. I'd replace the entire line. It probably runs from the outlet on the fuel tank to the inlet of the filter. You should be able to access the line at the tank from under the rear seat. Have you checked with your local ford dealer parts department to see how the part is available?

Go with the Dorman. They're a large replacement parts company and I've used them several times. If Ford heat shrunk it, so can you. There's nothing wrong with the rest of the stuff, so why replace it.

Good luck,
Steve

Late thought: If they make repair parts for this, you know it's a widespread problem and you know people are buying them. No news stories about Fords catching fire because of Dorman parts.

Edited by 54First

Thanks Steve I am going to go with the Dorman. The pressure fit metal connection (looks similar to what is used on a bare copper water line) to the metal gas line should be better than the original heatshrink/glue jobl Besides since the parts kit cannot be shipped (according to several sources) there is no other choice. I did find the Dorman parts in stock at Summit for $24 plus shipping. The Dorman solution looks like a better connection than the original setup! It was hard to figure out online just what I needed but I did the "online chat thing" with Dorman and they figured out exactly what I needed. I had never heard of Dorman until I had this problem.

Of course Steve you are also correct about us not hearing about Mustangs catching fire due to fuel line problems. All we hear about are Tesla's catching fire!

Thanks Everyone! This forum is the best!

Mark / MSB Mustang

Just called Ford Parts because Tousley said they did not know about shipping. Turns out Ford Parts says the kit of parts cannot be shipped. It must be picked up a local dealer! Which of course increases the price to $250 or so. Anyone have any other ideas? Gluing something over the crease" ? Hose Clamp? Is the plastic piece something that can be cut off and re-Heat-Shrinked? You can tell it was heatshrinked on by the way it conforms to the ridges in the push on connector on the left side.

Concerned about it starting to leak while I am driving? But then again it was probably there for the past 85K miles!

Thanks everyone for your help with this.

Mark / MSB Mustang

Mark,

You can try what I do with my local dealer - bring the price sheet from Tousley to your local dealer and ask if they'll match it. I've done that and they've matched it, no issue - in fact, I was going to offer they match the price of the part PLUS shipping, but I never even had to get that far - they just offered to match the actual price of the part!

Can't hurt to try, right? :)

Good luck!

Mark,

The fuel line section that you are looking at does go back to the front left side of the tank , takes a 90 degree turn then goes up the side of the tank , takes another 90 degrees turn then goes over to the outlet port on the top of the tank. The car will need to be in the air (use jack stands or have on a lift) First you must remove the fuel pump fuse and run down the pressure in the fuel line , remove the end from the fuel filter then remove the bottom section of your rear seat and the large rubber grommet to gain access to the fitting at the tank , push in on the side tab to remove the fitting off of the tank. Once you have both ends of the line section disconnected you can go under the car and remove the 2 torx (T-50) bolts which hold the tank in place ( you can actually leave the exhaust and drive shaft in the car because you only need to drop the tank down and back a little bit to pull out / feed back in the line ). There are some line clips along the side which are plastic and have a 10mm nut to hold them in place - remove the nut and push out the line from the clip. Once you have it out make the repair/replacement and feed the section back in place. then lift the tank back in place (remember to put blue lock tight on the threads of the torx bolts and tighten to required torque specs) . Once the tank is bolted back in - check the line (shake) to be sure it's not getting pinched , reconnect the ends and put the rest back together. HTH

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks HTH for the great procedure. It answers my question of just how much work is required to replace the entire gas line...and that answer sounds like a ton of work!

I am going to try the Dorman 800-050 and 800-036 repair fittings first and see how those work.

If the Dorman parts do not work as advertised then your procedure, which I just saved in my GT500 "repair file folder", will be the next step.

Thanks Again!

Mark / MSB Mustang

Thanks HTH for the great procedure. It answers my question of just how much work is required to replace the entire gas line...and that answer sounds like a ton of work!

I am going to try the Dorman 800-050 and 800-036 repair fittings first and see how those work.

If the Dorman parts do not work as advertised then your procedure, which I just saved in my GT500 "repair file folder", will be the next step.

Thanks Again!

Mark / MSB Mustang

Why don't you just replace the short piece of plastic tube between the line and the fitting?

I just replaced my fuel filter so i had a chance to take a good look at what your 'problem' is. It's only about 4" long and looks like it'd be pretty easy to replace.

Put one end of the tube into boiling water to get it soft then push onto the fitting. Take the hose & fitting out to the car with a pot of boiling hot water, put the other end in the water to soften it up then push it onto the fuel line. Done.

Me personally, after seeing your pics, I wouldn't be at all worried about that crease.

Phill