TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Seeking All Season Tire--Comments On Michelin A/s 3 Or Hankook Ventus S1?

svtkarma

I am looking for all season/3 season high performance tires for a 2010 GT500.

Does anyone have experience or comments about:

1. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3

2. Hankook Ventus S1.

These two tires were the recommended choices in Consumer Reports test of ultra high performance all season tires.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got the Michelin pilot sport a/s 3's (in oem sizes) on my 2010 right now and Hooper couldn't be farther from the truth.

If you're looking for daily driver tires (which I suspect you are) then the a/s3's are an amazing choice.

They stick better on normal roads than most summer tires, especially the stock goodyears. They're not track tires, but for all around driving they out perform anything else we've tried but the Michelin pilot super sports -- and they don't turn into hockey pucks on cold asphalt. And they have a 22.5k mile tread warranty (half the normal 45k since they can't rotate) which is unheard of in W/Y rated tires. They share most of the tech with the PSS's, just have a little less sticky rubber so they work better in wet and cold, but still are great in summer too.

I've got the Michelin pilot sport a/s 3's (in oem sizes) on my 2010 right now and Hooper couldn't be farther from the truth.

If you're looking for daily driver tires (which I suspect you are) then the a/s3's are an amazing choice.

They stick better on normal roads than most summer tires, especially the stock goodyears. They're not track tires, but for all around driving they out perform anything else we've tried but the Michelin pilot super sports -- and they don't turn into hockey pucks on cold asphalt. And they have a 22.5k mile tread warranty (half the normal 45k since they can't rotate) which is unheard of in W/Y rated tires. They share most of the tech with the PSS's, just have a little less sticky rubber so they work better in wet and cold, but still are great in summer too.

I am debating between the Michelin A/S 3's and PSS's myself. I had the Continentals DW's on my 2011 and loved them. The DW's were highly rated in the wet which is important to me and felt much better in all situations than the Goodyear F1's that came stock. Both Michelin's are rated slightly higher in the areas I find important than the DW's. Both Michelins are very close in most categories with the exception of the wear index. The A/S 3's are rated 500 vs the Super Sport's 300 rating. I'll probably ride out the upcoming summer on the stock Goodyear's but go with one or the other Michelin's this fall. I hear lot's of great things about the Super Sports but not much about the A/S 3's. Thanks for the input.

Glad to help. I can't speak to actual wear yet (we've only had them on since October) but I'm now also debating between the A/S3's and PSS's for the 2014 we just picked up. The other difference besides the wear rating is that I can't seem to find the A/S3's in oem sizes for the 2014 that are Y speed rated even though Michelin supposedly makes them. Will probably settle for W since i don't expect to top 186 any time soon, but it'd be nice to actually match oem tire specs.

The stock goodyears just are not confidence-inspiring when the car can easily break loose on them in normal highway driving if you get into the throttle a little hard on a dry, straight road.

• 5 weeks later...

+1 on all of the above. I had to replace the stock Goodyear crap on my '12 after an incident with a curb and not running over a neighborhood dog on the loose and either the front or rear PSS's were on backorder across the country. So put the a/s 3's on and couldn't be happier. Better than the stock F1s and unless you are throwing it around the race track are good for aggressive mountain roads driving.

-steve

Archived