TEAM SHELBY FORUM

!!! Missing Black Trailer With Terlingua Inside !!!

dh777

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thieves had no idea what they had. Selling a Terlingua anywhere is like stealing the Mona Lisa and trying to sell it. Chances are the body parts that were labeled with Terlingua logos are in a landfill somewhere. The engine and rest are scattered hither and yon, most likely Central America, never to be seen again. If the car shows up on eBay then these thieves need to be shot to protect the gene pool because they are incredibly stupid.

• 4 months later...

Here's what Rick Posted:

On September 10th, my son, Mike, received a call from the Houston Police Dept. In the process of busting a meth lab, they found my car among a number of stolen items. It was in a warehouse near the baseball park in downtown Houston. They asked Mike to come identify it which he did. Unfortunately it was missing the engine, transmission, wheels, brakes, rear axle and the left front fender. And to add insult to injury, they had sanded most of the exterior paint off as you can see in the photos.
Since I had settled with my insurance company a couple weeks before it was recovered, it no longer belonged to me. I didn't want to post the news about finding it, until I knew if I was going to get it back or not. Fortunately with a lot of help from Mike, we regained ownership of the body today.
It will take a lot of work, but at some point in the not too distant future, it will look just like it did when it came out of Shelby in 2009.
I consider this a happy ending because it can be repaired and I no longer have to wonder where it is.
Thanks for everyone's support and assistance. Your response has been amazing. I also need to mention how awesome the police officers were that found the car. Great bunch of guys and I appreciate their quick response in contacting MIke.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Here's what Rick Posted:

On September 10th, my son, Mike, received a call from the Houston Police Dept. In the process of busting a meth lab, they found my car among a number of stolen items. It was in a warehouse near the baseball park in downtown Houston. They asked Mike to come identify it which he did. Unfortunately it was missing the engine, transmission, wheels, brakes, rear axle and the left front fender. And to add insult to injury, they had sanded most of the exterior paint off as you can see in the photos.

Since I had settled with my insurance company a couple weeks before it was recovered, it no longer belonged to me. I didn't want to post the news about finding it, until I knew if I was going to get it back or not. Fortunately with a lot of help from Mike, we regained ownership of the body today.

It will take a lot of work, but at some point in the not too distant future, it will look just like it did when it came out of Shelby in 2009.

I consider this a happy ending because it can be repaired and I no longer have to wonder where it is.

Thanks for everyone's support and assistance. Your response has been amazing. I also need to mention how awesome the police officers were that found the car. Great bunch of guys and I appreciate their quick response in contacting MIke.

attachicon.gif1.jpg

attachicon.gif2.jpg

attachicon.gif3.jpg

Rick and Mike,

Best news I have heard in a cannot remember when!

Looking forward to seeing this Pheonix bunny tearing up the roads again!

David

Rick ended up having to get it back through a Copart auction. The good news however is that the correct guy got it back. Rick has a bunch of work to do, but this storied bunny will be back to great shape again! With it's story, it might even be worth more in the future. Who knows?

TerlinguaStolen_zps65510063.jpg

Rick ended up having to get it back through a Copart auction. The good news however is that the correct guy got it back. Rick has a bunch of work to do, but this storied bunny will be back to great shape again! With it's story, it might even be worth more in the future. Who knows?

WOW that hurts! Speakin of which.... I think we as a group need to get together and put a good old fashioned ass kickin on those that did this! :chairshot:

Was the trailer recovered?

Yes, it was recovered awhile ago in Louisiana.

EDIT.... this is what Rick posted on Facebook May 30th

I just spoke with the Officer that recovered the trailer in Newton. The trailer was found at a remote oil well site. The pumper for the oil well company said it wasn't there Wednesday afternoon, but it was there on Thursday morning. The Officer said there were no clues at the site except for tracks from a dually pickup.

Glad to see it recovered. I figured it was across some border gone forever. I would reach out to SA and see if they have any Terlingua specific items left and if so, see if you could get first crack before items go on Shelby ebay store. I think many Shelby enthusiasts could support those specific items going toward your rebuild verses public auction. The call would not hurt and worth a shot. To that end, good luck with the rebuild!

Glad to see it recovered. I figured it was across some border gone forever. I would reach out to SA and see if they have any Terlingua specific items left and if so, see if you could get first crack before items go on Shelby ebay store. I think many Shelby enthusiasts could support those specific items going toward your rebuild verses public auction. The call would not hurt and worth a shot. To that end, good luck with the rebuild!

Good point Harald.... since Rick is not a member of the forum we may have to hope someone at SAI see this.

Rick is a member of the Terlingua community and as such many of us will help find parts as needed, among the owners, and working with SA. I fully expect and so much look forward to seeing this bunny back to its full glory!

It is good to see so many folks who care.

David

This Bunny has a great story. Some sad, some painful and a lot of happiness..........some still to be told. Congrats on getting her back Rick. Can't wait to see her back on the road.

Hey Guys,

Rick is a member, I just haven't been on in a while.

Just so everyone knows, I was contacted by people at Shelby as soon as the news was out about the car. I think I will have their full support to the extent that they can help. I've been amazed at the response from the Shelby/Mustang community. It's nice to know how many good people are still around.

I'll post pictures as the restoration progresses.

Fear the bunny!!!

Hey Guys,

Just so everyone knows, I was contacted by people at Shelby as soon as the news was out about the car. I think I will have their full support to the extent that they can help. I've been amazed at the response from the Shelby/Mustang community. It's nice to know how many good people are still around.

Fear the bunny!!!

AWESOME news Rick.... good luck and if there is anyway I can help from Pennsylvania let me know!

I'm sorry about assuming (yeah I know what it means) that you weren't a member due to DeWayne posting the original post "For a Friend"!

Hey Guys,

Fear the bunny!!!

Well said Rick my Friend - FEAR THE BUNNY! :cool: Tehy are great cars and so much fun to drive. :shift:

David

Hey Guys,

Fear the bunny!!!

Awesome! Glad to hear Shelby will help to the extent they can of course. I have always had great experience/customer service with members at SA from questions, to the install of my SC to others items and most recently the signing of my GT-H take-off hood number #119 at the GT Rally. Looking forward to the 2nd build of this Terlingua.

Archived