TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Will Lca And Relocation Brackets Stop Wheel Hop?

Just my humble opinion here, but any LCA that doesn't have at least one spherical bearing is not an upgrade. You're trading one vice for another - you're getting rid of the overly compliant rubber bushings in the LCA (which is the real cause of wheel-hop) and giving up all the articulation of the rear axle, compounding the inherent problems of a live-axle over uneven surfaces. The UCA is in negative thrust upon acceleration. Its pulling, not pushing. Under wheel hop, axle windup releases suddenly when those rubber bushings give the axle room to leave the ground. More torque on the rear axle would compress the UCA bushing further, making it MORE effective, not less. Adding the relocation bracket without springs will put the LCA in the wrong angle and all that thrust will be used not just for pushing the car in a straight line, but also UP in this case (and squat under braking). Yes, this may help plant the wheels better in a straight line, but it puts your suspension, as a whole, out of whack. Again, this is all a matter of performance AT THE LIMITS OF TRACTION. Driving around town you won't know the difference.

• 2 weeks later...

I never had a problem with wheel hop in my '13. I just put it in sport mode and it worked fine, no hop. Have since added Steeda LCAs with spherical bushing no relocation brackets and that works good too.

Archived