TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rear Tire Wear?

barspen

Any idea why the outside edges of the rear tires (280/39/19 Conti DW) would wear significantly more than the inside? I have plenty of meat on the inside (6/32 or more I'd estimate) but the outsdes are almost at the wear bars. Wondering if there are any adjustment to be made or if this is normal.

THX

I posed the same question about my F1's on my 07, except it was the middle that was wearing out on them.....and I'm not spinning it off!

The center of the tire wearing out before the outsides is from over inflation.

The outside edges (inner & outer edge) is caused from under inflation.

Phill

Thanks everyone. I'm familiar with typical wear patterns of under\over inflation. What is strange about this issue is the the symptoms look like a 'Toe' problem associated with the front tires. The thickest part of the tire is the inside edge and the most worn part is the outside edge, with a gradual taper inside-to-out, across the width of the tire.

...I would contact the Continental folks to ask.

Good suggestions. I will touch base with them.

Thanks everyone. I'm familiar with typical wear patterns of under\over inflation. What is strange about this issue is the the symptoms look like a 'Toe' problem associated with the front tires. The thickest part of the tire is the inside edge and the most worn part is the outside edge, with a gradual taper inside-to-out, across the width of the tire..

I wasn't sure but that's what I thought you were saying which is STRANGE.

That could indicate a cambered rear axle but cambered the wrong way (for cornering)!

Check your rear axle tubes where they meet the pumpkin and see if they tilt upwards, from the center out.

Did you also say you have a rear end noise or was that someone else? If you have tire wear like you describe AND rear gear noise, you have a bent axle housing.

Phill

I wasn't sure but that's what I thought you were saying which is STRANGE.

That could indicate a cambered rear axle but cambered the wrong way (for cornering)!

Check your rear axle tubes where they meet the pumpkin and see if they tilt upwards, from the center out.

Did you also say you have a rear end noise or was that someone else? If you have tire wear like you describe AND rear gear noise, you have a bent axle housing.

Phill

Thanks Phil. I'll mention it next time I go to the shop. Visually, I don't see any issue. Can't imagine doing anything to bend the axel that bad except 4x4'ing :)

But, I wonder if tracking a few times on a very technical\twisty course might cause this?? Seems like a possibility :shrug: Leaning the car into hard turn after turn while hitting the gas seems like it might cause the outside edges to wear a little quicker. Just a thought.

No strange noises from the rear.

Thanks Phil. I'll mention it next time I go to the shop. Visually, I don't see any issue. Can't imagine doing anything to bend the axel that bad except 4x4'ing :)

But, I wonder if tracking a few times on a very technical\twisty course might cause this?? Seems like a possibility :shrug: Leaning the car into hard turn after turn while hitting the gas seems like it might cause the outside edges to wear a little quicker. Just a thought.

Launching HARD on slicks has done it.

On a road course, if a wheel lifted you can do it (spins fast, drops down onto ground and SHOCKS the axle).

It could bend the tubes forward or backward too essentially giving it toe rather than camber, which can give similar wear patterns.

This is a strange one.

Phill

How about jacking the back of the car from under the diff? The jack's the fulcrum and the weight of the car is on the axle ends. Ford says not to do it.Steve

ya beat me to it... But hard cornering (as in tracking) could do it also, spinning through a corner. Definitely weird.... Would like to know the answer when you get it.

Launching HARD on slicks has done it.

On a road course, if a wheel lifted you can do it (spins fast, drops down onto ground and SHOCKS the axle).

It could bend the tubes forward or backward too essentially giving it toe rather than camber, which can give similar wear patterns.

This is a strange one.

Phill

No hard launching (drag strip-style I'm assuming?)...No slicks. Car might have been leaning hard, but no lifting during track runs, to the best of my knowledge. Still a novice on a course, so can't imagine I bent the axels just turning hard.

How about jacking the back of the car from under the diff? The jack's the fulcrum and the weight of the car is on the axle ends. Ford says not to do it.

Steve

I lift at the pumpkin one a month or so for upgrades or maintenance. I always support the tires (ramps) or jack at the pinch welds. Hard to imagine that lifting at the diff would bend a sold axel?? I know Ford tells you not to do it, but it seems kind of 'normal' from what I have heard. If lifting at the Pumpkin bends the axel, supporting at the Pinch welds (tires left hanging) would bend the axel just a bad...or I'm I making that up? :shrug:

ya beat me to it... But hard cornering (as in tracking) could do it also, spinning through a corner. Definitely weird.... Would like to know the answer when you get it.

Tracked twice with the Contis in the last 12 months (Apri '13 & Nov '13). Took some hard sides and turns on a very short (1.1m, 12 lap, 4 session day) & technical course. Traction control was on the whole time (still learning, so next go I will do Advanced mode). Seems like the most logical, but not sure.

Would like to hear from anyone who 'jacks at the Pumpkin' and has a horror story (I eef'ed my car up 'style story'). If it has happened, I'm all ears. Just like Ford wants you to use 'Motorcraft coolant', I think some things are urban legend or scare tactics verse science.

If lifting at the Pumpkin bends the axel, supporting at the Pinch welds (tires left hanging) would bend the axel just a bad...or I'm I making that up? :shrug:

If you're supporting the car at the pinch welds, the control arms and shocks are supporting only the suspended weight of the axle and tires. If the pumpkin is being supported by the jack you've got the weight of the car (min. 1000 lbs in the rear?) pressing down on the axle ends (min. 500 lbs per side) at the spring cups. Take a wire coat hanger and dangle it from your finger. It just hangs, right? Now place the bottom center of the hanger on a 2x4 or some such thing and press on the ends of the hanger. It bends. That's science. If there were a tire on each end, the outsides would touch the ground and the insides wouldn't.

As far as your anti-freeze simile,Ford profits from sales. A bent axle just pisses off customers and may cost warranty bucks.

Steve

If you're supporting the car at the pinch welds, the control arms and shocks are supporting only the suspended weight of the axle and tires. If the pumpkin is being supported by the jack you've got the weight of the car (min. 1000 lbs in the rear?) pressing down on the axle ends (min. 500 lbs per side) at the spring cups. Take a wire coat hanger and dangle it from your finger. It just hangs, right? Now place the bottom center of the hanger on a 2x4 or some such thing and press on the ends of the hanger. It bends. That's science. If there were a tire on each end, the outsides would touch the ground and the insides wouldn't.

As far as your anti-freeze simile,Ford profits from sales. A bent axle just pisses off customers and may cost warranty bucks.

Steve

Steve, good point. I guess the question is...Does jacking with padded hydraulic lift (not supporting for any length of time) at the axel cause a problem? I've seen many argument saying its not an issue on solid axel vehicles and I've seen the Ford manual which says don't do it this way. I've just haven't heard of anyone saying "I jacked at the pumpkin and my axel is messed up".

Not saying it cant happen, just never heard of it before. Interested to see what folks think...

Archived