TEAM SHELBY FORUM

3.31 To 3.73 Gear Change????

konakenny

I've thought about the gearing swap, but personally I will have about 800 hp and roughly 730 ft lbs once my other mods are complete. I think it will be a waste as you'll be off the throttle all the time to keep the wheel spin down on hard acceleration. If I only had 500 hp, 3:73 would be the way to go - it's a cheap way to gain major acceleration, but with 730 ft lbs I think the taller gears, 3:31, are a better fit. What do you think?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been thinking about it since I bought the car, even priced it through my local for dealer. I've read the pros and cons of doing the swap and I'm going to go for it. For me I hate the tall first gear, I feel like I'm wasting the clutch trying to get the car rolling. In my 04 I can dump the clutch with no gas and the car takes off, if I'm not careful I can stall my 14 even getting in the gas. Plus I love to spin the tires more than I like racing!

What are your goals with the car? Do you race it? Any suspension, clutch, or traction modifications? For the most part, I would STILL do 3.73 rear gears in a car with 800RWHP, particularly in a car which runs a stock 28" tall tire and most other tires people are putting on are slightly taller.

Steeper gears make the car feel lighter, are much easier on a clutch, will make your car faster given you have adequate traction and suspension modifications to support 800RWHP.

I can't see myself putting 373 in my Shelby? It already spins 1-3rd gear and with cold tires 4th. I know rims and tires would help but it pulls so hard with the 331. I like the stock rearend IMO it's perfect!

I can't see myself putting 373 in my Shelby? It already spins 1-3rd gear and with cold tires 4th. I know rims and tires would help but it pulls so hard with the 331. I like the stock rearend IMO it's perfect!

The stock 3.31's are definitely fun to drive with, given how you can wind out each gear. When playing around with the car, I often find myself a little uneasy with how fast each gear actually goes to, particularly 3rd gear. One thing I will say about the 3.31 which I do not like, is taking off from 1st gear, or having to drive in slow stop and go traffic. It's hard on the grippy stock clutch slipping it from a stop in order to get the car heavy car moving, where as a 4.10 or 3.73 rear gear would help resolve. Pair a 4.10 or 3.73 with a 28.5 -29" drag radial, you'll hook better than the stock 3.31's on GY's, but also make the gear ratio a bit taller due to the taller tires. So essentially, the over all rear end gear ratio wouldn't equate to a 3.73', probably closer to a 3.60 or so after the addition of a taller tire.

I thought the same thing until it warmed up outside, now that it's above 80f my car seems to hook up pretty well considering everything. I've even added a pulley and tune and it just chirps second and third gear. First gear isn't horrible, spins but nothing serious. Totally different story when it's cold outside though.

I just changed the gears to 3.73's and at the same time went to MPSS ( one size larger than stock ) on my '13 . Honestly the car feels a lot quicker...the shifts up and down are crisper and better matched....traction is way better than the old GY's and 3.31.

I had my Ford dealer do the work using Ford parts. They told me that there would be zero issue with ANY warranty issues.

If you want to make limited mods to your GT 500 gears and tires are the way to go...IMHO

I just changed the gears to 3.73's and at the same time went to MPSS ( one size larger than stock ) on my '13 . Honestly the car feels a lot quicker...the shifts up and down are crisper and better matched....traction is way better than the old GY's and 3.31.

I had my Ford dealer do the work using Ford parts. They told me that there would be zero issue with ANY warranty issues.

If you want to make limited mods to your GT 500 gears and tires are the way to go...IMHO

How did they fix the speedo being off? Plug in a tune was only way I thought?

How did they fix the speedo being off? Plug in a tune was only way I thought?

For what I understood the ford dealer now had the ability to change that without an aftermarket tune.

For what I understood the ford dealer now had the ability to change that without an aftermarket tune.

The only way to correct the speedometer is via an aftermarket tuning device such as the SCT tuner. Ford has no way of recalibrating the ECU for a rear gear change. On top of that, when going with a taller tire and a steeper gear, it would take some tweaking to get it right.

Some dealers work with their customers more than others. The only modifications I am considering while the car is under warranty are a gear change and put the car on stickier tires. Granted I will probably put a better air filter on the car when mine is dirty enough.

The only way to correct the speedometer is via an aftermarket tuning device such as the SCT tuner.

Not according to my local Ford Dealer, Phil Long Ford-Motor City.

They said they can do it and charge $150 for the service.

Phill

Not according to my local Ford Dealer, Phil Long Ford-Motor City.

They said they can do it and charge $150 for the service.

Phill

You have a 2010, and it's different from the '13-14 year cars. The newer EEC's cannot accept the same Ford tuner the 10-12 cars can, and require an SCT tuner mated to the car.

The only way to correct the speedometer is via an aftermarket tuning device such as the SCT tuner. Ford has no way of recalibrating the ECU for a rear gear change. On top of that, when going with a taller tire and a steeper gear, it would take some tweaking to get it right.

I'm just going by what the dealer service dept told me, it was even included on the estimate for just under $500. He told me that they hadn't been able to do this previously but that ford racing offered a calibration for it now. You may consider this aftermarket but it wasn't a tune and it wasn't supposed to effect my vehicle warranty and it was ordered and installed by the dealer, just like the gears. I could have gotten mis information but that's what he told me.

I'm just going by what the dealer service dept told me, it was even included on the estimate for just under $500. He told me that they hadn't been able to do this previously but that ford racing offered a calibration for it now. You may consider this aftermarket but it wasn't a tune and it wasn't supposed to effect my vehicle warranty and it was ordered and installed by the dealer, just like the gears. I could have gotten mis information but that's what he told me.

I would be very skeptical of this, and what the dealership is planning to "use" to calibrate your speedometer. Are they referring to the Pro-Cal? If so, that isn't available for the '13-14 GT500. The Ford speedo tool is only good for older model ECU's as well: http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-speedo-tool-9410.html

Check out this thread as well: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?963166-Dealer-says-he-can-install-3-73-gears-AND-tune-speedo/page3

And BTW, it's not me that considers this aftermarket. Bottom line Ford racing does not make a calibration tool for the '13-14 GT500's for rear gears. If your Ford dealer has a "new" calibration tool, find out what it is and post a link.

I would be very skeptical of this, and what the dealership is planning to "use" to calibrate your speedometer. Are they referring to the Pro-Cal? If so, that isn't available for the '13-14 GT500. The Ford speedo tool is only good for older model ECU's as well: http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-speedo-tool-9410.html

Check out this thread as well: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?963166-Dealer-says-he-can-install-3-73-gears-AND-tune-speedo/page3

And BTW, it's not me that considers this aftermarket. Bottom line Ford racing does not make a calibration tool for the '13-14 GT500's for rear gears. If your Ford dealer has a "new" calibration tool, find out what it is and post a link.

I will if I have time, not sure when that will be. It was sill-tehar service department in broomfield colorado if you want to call yourself. It was at least 6 weeks ago when I got the quote, which I passed on because it was almost 3x what it should have cost. Plus I bought a tuner already so I won't be needing that, I figured if they are charging me $500 I might as well buy something with more value.

Also to let you know he told me no at first first for 13/14, then he spent some time doing some homework and called me back and told me he could.

I will if I have time, not sure when that will be. It was sill-tehar service department in broomfield colorado if you want to call yourself. It was at least 6 weeks ago when I got the quote, which I passed on because it was almost 3x what it should have cost. Plus I bought a tuner already so I won't be needing that, I figured if they are charging me $500 I might as well buy something with more value.

Also to let you know he told me no at first first for 13/14, then he spent some time doing some homework and called me back and told me he could.

Thanks for the info. I think I will give them a call to see what the tool is, thus far no one else is able to calibrate the ECU for the gear change.

Edit: Just called and spoke with Chris in service and another gentleman in the parts department. Initial impression, is that you have courteous and professional folks at this dealership, and nice folks to deal with. :cool:

With that said, Parts are calling me back with the part number, as he doesn't have any information on the tuner for the '13-14 model GT500. I would be very surprised if there is anything available, but he is doing some digging. If there is a part, I will be buying one ASAP and posting my findings, but I'm not holding my breath. :shift:

Edit 2: Just heard back from the dealer in CO, and they do not have a tuner to calibrate the '13-14 Shelbys with. He mentioned that there is a way they can flash the ECU to auto correct for the gear change, however I believe there were folks who went this route with their Ford dealers and it didn't work.

Thanks for the info. I think I will give them a call to see what the tool is, thus far no one else is able to calibrate the ECU for the gear change.

Edit: Just called and spoke with Chris in service and another gentleman in the parts department. Initial impression, is that you have courteous and professional folks at this dealership, and nice folks to deal with. :cool:

With that said, Parts are calling me back with the part number, as he doesn't have any information on the tuner for the '13-14 model GT500. I would be very surprised if there is anything available, but he is doing some digging. If there is a part, I will be buying one ASAP and posting my findings, but I'm not holding my breath. :shift:

Edit 2: Just heard back from the dealer in CO, and they do not have a tuner to calibrate the '13-14 Shelbys with. He mentioned that there is a way they can flash the ECU to auto correct for the gear change, however I believe there were folks who went this route with their Ford dealers and it didn't work.

Thanks for following up with that, good investigating! Wow they were going to flash my ecu for $500, polite but very pricey :)

• 8 months later...

Hey guys I am also contemplating going from 3.73 to 3.31. I am currently at 750rwhp and tuning for a 100 shot next week, I do mostly roll races but also digs and track days. The thing most of you didn't address is that a 13-14 gt500 having the extended 7000rpm red line is a better buffer with the 3.73 but for me a 2011 red line is 59-6000 and it just is not cutting it at my power level. I also have a 28'' tire and still 1st and second are useless when dig racing on the streets and well vs z06/gtr every shift sets me back. my 5.0 had3.73 and to combat it I had to raise the limiter to 7800 and it worked for1/4 mile but not for rolls, I have no other experience with gears on mustangs so I just assume 3.31s would be best for my setup. I guess I should also mention I plan to go over 1000rwhp next year.

Hey guys I am also contemplating going from 3.73 to 3.31. I am currently at 750rwhp and tuning for a 100 shot next week, I do mostly roll races but also digs and track days. The thing most of you didn't address is that a 13-14 gt500 having the extended 7000rpm red line is a better buffer with the 3.73 but for me a 2011 red line is 59-6000 and it just is not cutting it at my power level. I also have a 28'' tire and still 1st and second are useless when dig racing on the streets and well vs z06/gtr every shift sets me back. my 5.0 had3.73 and to combat it I had to raise the limiter to 7800 and it worked for1/4 mile but not for rolls, I have no other experience with gears on mustangs so I just assume 3.31s would be best for my setup. I guess I should also mention I plan to go over 1000rwhp next year.

I take it your going to do the internals of the engine when you go to 1,000 H.P

Hi all, I am planning on doing the 3.73 gear change when I put the car on the road in May. I will purchase an SCT tuner to correct the speedo and most likely change the cold air intake and throttle body after the warranty expires.

A question to you guys with 13 and 14 cars that have done a gear change....does changing the gears affect the launch control or traction control in any way?

PS....Change the tires last summer to MPSS....what a difference!

Cheers

What kind of tires would hook good with the 373 gear change ? I have 750 rwh and am using nitto nto1s they hook very well but i think that would change with 373 gears?????? my car is not a dailey driver so i would not be concerned with tread life TKS

What kind of tires would hook good with the 373 gear change ? I have 750 rwh and am using nitto nto1s they hook very well but i think that would change with 373 gears?????? my car is not a dailey driver so i would not be concerned with tread life TKS

NT05R, NT555R, or MT ET drag radials.

SVTracer14 does MT ET drag radials come in 20in??

As secondo posted, they're coming out with a new like of SS drag radials. Here is the current line up of tires I would consider if going with a 305/35/20 drag radial: http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php?item=ETStreetRadialII

But then you get into the whole debate of whether it is safe to put a 305 aspect tire on a stock 9.5" rim. Mickey Thompson and most tires run wider than a Nitto drag radial in the same aspect. I went with a Nitto 555R in 305 aspect as many guys run these on the stock 9.5" rims without issue even though Nitto officially recommends a minimum of 10.0" wide rim width.

Archived