TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Nitto Nt05 Tire Daily Users Out There?

Triumph

I am looking at buying a set of NT05 (not the NT05R drag radials) for daily use, and occasional road course use (approx. 3-4 weekends a year). Also running square 275s at all four corners.

Does anyone currently or in the past use the NT05s for daily use? How do they hold up? I'm not concerned with wet weather performance since I live in the desert.

nt05.jpg

I currently have them on my 07 GT500. They are a good tire, not great. They are ok both around town and around the track. I'm running 275/35-18 all around because I wanted to rotate tires. They wear so evenly that rotation is hardly necessary. That's one of their strong points, they wear very evenly, even without camber plates. They are not overly sensitive to tire pressure. They seem to work well at varying pressures. They are very responsive to steering input. They brake well. The only time I was able to lock them up under braking was with an inappropriate overly aggressive brake pad. There are other tires that have equal or greater ultimate grip. Some of those tires are heavier than the NT05. A consideration especially when trying to stop a GT500 from higher speeds. Better in the rain than you would think. When I wear these out, I'll probably purchase Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

Thanks for all the input. I'm on the fence about using them as daily drivers, maybe I'll just spend the $$ and get a set of wheels for the track, (and more aggressive tires than nt05s) just a hard pill to swallow for decent rims (not heavy ones) I'm look at least $1400 for a set of wheels not including tires. I'm eyeing the Enkei pf01s since the weight savings is pretty significant over stock style rims. I know you can get cheap wheels of "mustang" websites, but I really want 18 x 9.5, with proper offset i.e. close to 45mm, which don't seem to exist in cheap form.

110153d1284328285-need-18-wheels-2011-mu

The Continental track tires I was referring to are new. A set of 4 for $950 shipped seems like a good deal. If I was going with a set of track tires, I'd get them. My concern with slicks is that while they improve cornering and braking, they make it harder to recover if you are unlucky enough to go off the track surface. I've had guys pass me on cornering, only to wreck after they went off track and on the grass.

Thanks for all the input. I'm on the fence about using them as daily drivers, maybe I'll just spend the $$ and get a set of wheels for the track, (and more aggressive tires than nt05s) just a hard pill to swallow for decent rims (not heavy ones) I'm look at least $1400 for a set of wheels not including tires. I'm eyeing the Enkei pf01s since the weight savings is pretty significant over stock style rims. I know you can get cheap wheels of "mustang" websites, but I really want 18 x 9.5, with proper offset i.e. close to 45mm, which don't seem to exist in cheap form.

One wheel you might want to consider is the 2010 18x9.5 SVT wheel. AutoNation Ford in White Bear Lake (was Tousley Ford) has these rims, PN M-1007-DC1895, for $147.00 each. They are not a light rim, but for track days at that price, I think they would be perfect IMHO.

Mark

Archived