TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Buying A Used Gt500

ABDULITY

Hey guys.

i wanna buy a used gt500 and im confused between a 09 gt500 and a '10,i've found two for sale and their prices are nearly the same,i dont care about the looks in fact i think the 09 looks better but is there like a difference in power? suspension? etc.

07-09 for me too. Don't let the thought of possibly needing to replace the clutch sway your decision. In all likelihood, all models will eventually need a clutch. As mentioned, you could use the possible cost of a clutch to help negotiate a better price.

Good luck!

Thanks for replying guys,im gonna give this more thinking.

ABDULITY,

I would suggest that you also consider a 2011 w/SVTPP. You'll immediately notice the difference in handling due to 3 major changes. An aluminum 5.4L block that took over 100lbs. off the nose versus the iron block found the 09/10's. EPAS steering new on the 11's which further reduces weight on the nose and provides great feedback to the driver. And lastly, the improved suspension of the SVTPP option new to the 2011 model year. All worth paying a few dollars more for IMO.

I don't get this whole "clutch concern" anyway. My '09 runs/shifts perfectly. 5k miles, original clutch(although it is the newer flywheel design), and a frpp shift handle. The clutch is heavy, but the tranny shifts better than my '11. Once u get used to the car, its a blast to drive, and the stiff clutch is just there to remind you that you're driving a 500+ hp beast!

post-25069-0-25863800-1393202751_thumb.jpg

ABDULITY,

I would suggest that you also consider a 2011 w/SVTPP. You'll immediately notice the difference in handling due to 3 major changes. An aluminum 5.4L block that took over 100lbs. off the nose versus the iron block found the 09/10's. EPAS steering new on the 11's which further reduces weight on the nose and provides great feedback to the driver. And lastly, the improved suspension of the SVTPP option new to the 2011 model year. All worth paying a few dollars more for IMO.

personally, i believe the iron block is more durable, but that's just my opinion. i don't see the electronic steering as a benefit either. sounds like more solid state technology to fix when something goes wrong. the suspension is definitely an improvement (OEM for OEM), but adding an aftermarket kit from FRPP or Eibach will solve that. so again, i think it goes back to design preference. interestingly, the 2013-14 has a curb weight that is only 50lbs lighter than the '07-09 (3,920 vs. 3,871).

I don't get this whole "clutch concern" anyway. My '09 runs/shifts perfectly. 5k miles, original clutch(although it is the newer flywheel design), and a frpp shift handle. The clutch is heavy, but the tranny shifts better than my '11. Once u get used to the car, its a blast to drive, and the stiff clutch is just there to remind you that you're driving a 500+ hp beast!

agreed. one of my complaints about the newer 5.0. the clutch is feather-light...as is the shifter, steering, etcetera. could pass for a family, four-door. i had a spec 2+ installed and it has served me well for 3 years and counting.

Clutch issue should not deter you from buying an 07-09 car.

Spec or McCleod both have excellent clutches available for our cars and are built for the HP that the motors put out.

Put a McCleod in my 07 about a year ago and couldn't be happier. Got to purchase my own parts and not have Ford dictate to me what they would replace under the TSB, which was nothing as I " had none of the symptoms " associated with the TSB.

And was stated earlier, at some point the clutch will need to be replaced anyway. It is a wear and tear item and won't last forever.

AS for HP, for 2K or less, you can buy a whole lot of it.

Same goes for the suspension. So many refined components available for the 07-09 cars.

Archived