TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Differential Seal Leak

texray

I know this has been discussed to no end but I haven't seen any discuss the situation that I am seeing on my 2009 GT500 with 10K miles. My diff seems to be leaking at the front seal. The exhaust pipes are stained with fluid where the drive shaft hooks up. The bottom of the diff is wet and drops a few drops on the floor each night. Anyone have this problem? TIA

I had to replace the front seal on my 07 under similar circumstances. The other leak I encountered there was from the pinion nut. It's possible for the axle lube to seep past the nut under hard use. The original pinion flange nut comes with a sealing compound applied to prevent this. If you reuse the nut, you will have to apply new sealant. If you replace the front seal, you will need to replace the crush sleeve. From my past experiences, you are better off replacing the outer bearing also.

It is possible to change the seal without redoing the gear install. It is outlined in the service manual. You have to measure carefully. Here is my thread from when I changed mine. http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/77347-low-pinion-bearing-pre-load/ I also used thread sealer on the yolk splines when I put it back on to keep it from leaking through the splines.

Archived