TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Winter Stinks...

Eric Etkin

Hey Frank, you can then wash your baby with the waterless wash !!!!!!!!!!! :love_shower:

It's no joke; I have three different brands, thanks to my thoughtful, sarcastic sister.

I've been in SoCal since 1939, and have had a brush or two with each of the mentioned potential disasters, a couple of cold days and several warm ones. I knew Los Angeles when there was one freeway, gasoline could be found for twelve cents a gallon, and electric street cars would take you all around the town.

In Torrance we lived in a two-story house with a landing halfway down the stairs, which made a right-angle turn there. In 1952 there was a quake in Long Beach that caused me to awaken at five or so in the morning. I looked out my window and saw flashes from exploding transformers, and started downstairs to look at a clock and turn on the radio. As I reached the top of the stairs the house moved toward my rear and then to my left, so I landed in the living room at the bottom of the stairs, having dropped about eight feet straight down. Nothing broken.

The natural event that was most terrifying was when a wild fire stopped just a mile or so away from us. On that occasion the air was so thick with smoke and debris it looked like a full-moon scene at noon. It's not unlikely that there will be more of that kind of thing as the globe warms and the water disappears. With some effort the effects on individual experiences can be minimized. The good thing is such an effort is less traumatic in a moderate climate.

Any road, my choice of compromises is still right here, on the edge of the desert, near the sea. By the time it becomes intolerable I won't know it, anyway.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A fun area to drive when the fog lifts. I used to visit at length back when there was an endless number of "rocking horses" pulling up the stuff for my cruiser to drink. It seemed like every shopping mall parking lot and school yard had at least one oil pumper!

Yesterday was another cold snowy day. So...I went with what if life gives you lemons theory. Let's go to a cold nasty place, the Delaware River just North of Philly on your left and Trenton, NJ on your right. Your looking north just a few miles south on New Hope, PA. Yes it was cold & nasty out there. Gives you a bit more respect for the brand new American Continental Army back in 1776, they didn't have a bridge.

http://www.ushistory.org/washingtoncrossing/

As a side note, this is a fantastic top down drive I have done loads of times (in way warmer weather).

Bowman's Tavern for lunch is always a great experience.

http://www.bowmanstavernrestaurant.com/html/look_around.php

Then it's off to Washington's Crossing Vineyard for a wine tasting.

http://www.crossingvineyards.com/

12564961884_3fc5a41a6c_c.jpg

CaptDave

Yesterday was another cold snowy day. So...I went with what if life gives you lemons theory. Let's go to a cold nasty place, the Delaware River just North of Philly on your left and Trenton, NJ on your right. Your looking north just a few miles south on New Hope, PA. Yes it was cold & nasty out there. Gives you a bit more respect for the brand new American Continental Army back in 1776, they didn't have a bridge.

http://www.ushistory.org/washingtoncrossing/

As a side note, this is a fantastic top down drive I have done loads of times (in way warmer weather).

Bowman's Tavern for lunch is always a great experience.

http://www.bowmanstavernrestaurant.com/html/look_around.php

Then it's off to Washington's Crossing Vineyard for a wine tasting.

http://www.crossingvineyards.com/

12564961884_3fc5a41a6c_c.jpg

CaptDave

Hey Capt, maybe one of these warmer days we can meet up. The wife loves New Hope, we love driving down Rt 32 along the river.

Who is going to have a lot of Snow next Weekend and will build a 5 foot tall Snowman? I have a cool item I will send you for the Snowman and I need a lot of Photos taken of the Snowman.

I have no desire to build a snowman but I did make a snow angel on Friday..... File is too big to upload..... Sorry

On a fair weather weekend from spring to fall New Hope, PA gets pretty packed. Not so busy this Saturday. It's not unusual to see a couple Lamborghini's or Ferrari's on a nice summer day in New Hope. Didn't quite spot any on this run?

12575328403_736541db8e_c.jpg

CaptDave

I don't know how you guys make it through winter up there year after year. I did 4 years in Boston of which I affectionately call my "4 year tour of duty" in the Northeast. You have to really like cold weather and snow to live up there and be happy year round. I've been inside since Tuesday with a few opportunities to get out and see the sun, but no time on my mountain bike, motorcycle, or driving the Shelby is making me anxious and temperamental.

Getting real tired of this northeast weather, especially after this winter. The plan is to move south, down near Lake Norman/Charlotte. I may miss the pizza, but definitely not the snow!! Hey Viper, is there room in NC for one more yankee??LOL

Lake Norman is nice and always more room for good northern friends. We'll introduce you to Mellow Mushroom pizza when you get here and you may decide you like it better. Also, NC is becoming the micro brew capital of the east coast so your beer mug will be over flowing.

Lake Norman is nice and always more room for good northern friends. We'll introduce you to Mellow Mushroom pizza when you get here and you may decide you like it better. Also, NC is becoming the micro brew capital of the east coast so your beer mug will be over flowing.

My uncle owns and operates the Lake Norman Animal Hospital! Dr Mike Heinen. Stop in and bring your pets and say Hans sent you!

That right there is reason enough for me!

Winter up here in western Canada(we are in,British Columbia) has not been too bad for snow,just longer periosteum of cold weather. My car is being picked up tomorrow and being shipped to my recently purchased winter home in Phoenix,Arizona.

I have grown tired of cold gloomy winters as the years wear on!!!

Now kinda getting into a semi retirement mode,I want to enjoy the warmer climes and take my Convertable out on days that it was intended for!

Winter up here in western Canada(we are in,British Columbia) has not been too bad for snow,just longer periosteum of cold weather. My car is being picked up tomorrow and being shipped to my recently purchased winter home in Phoenix,Arizona.

I have grown tired of cold gloomy winters as the years wear on!!!

Now kinda getting into a semi retirement mode,I want to enjoy the warmer climes and take my Convertable out on days that it was intended for!

I'm thinking of bringing the gt to Vegas. We may split time here while I do some maintenance on the new house before our place in co sells

I'm thinking of bringing the gt to Vegas. We may split time here while I do some maintenance on the new house before our place in co sells

That sounds like a good plan,you gotta take advantage of those opportunity says they come up! My car will be staying in Phoenix for a while,but mostly for us being able to go on the Shelby Bash from PS to Vegas! This is our first chance to be able to attend the Bash and I couldn't be more excited,and we are really looking forward to meeting lots of new friends with the same crazy Passion!

me too!!!

I wish I had a winter getaway house to get away to! Have fun!

Thanks,we will! We only bought it in early December,and wanted to get the car down there but it has taken this long to get the shipper here! We should be at the house a day or two before it arrives then let the fun begin!

Our plan is to return by the end of March and stay most of April and include doing the Bash from Palm Springs to Vegas.

I have always wanted to go to the Bashes of previous years but it was always hard to do it from our house in Canada to get there,plus time was always a factor! Now it's not a problem with either!!!! Yayyyyy!

Archived