TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My Shelby Will Be Going Under The Knife Next Tuesday.........

yosemiddysam

Yosemiddysam,

I'm sorry you're going through all this turmoil! Question, this Hub City Ford Dealership....are they a certified SVT dealership? I was told when I purchased mine that only the certified SVT dealers are authorized to sell (really?) and perform maintenance on SVT vehicles.

Mad Max

Ford did away with this program a years ago. After I bought my Shelby in Apr 2012, I called SVT to see where the SVT dealerships were in the Tampa Bay region. They said that the SVT training requirement was no longer in effect and that "technically" all techs could work on my car. This was confirmed by my dealership. However, there are techs out there that have had the training in the past. I think it is more important to find a dealership that specializes in working on high performance Mustangs and has techs dedicated to that end by the dealerships. In my area that would be Brandon Ford in Tampa. They have one Roush tech that also works on Shelby's, and installs aftermarket performance parts on other Mustangs. He is the only one that works on the dealership owners Ford GT. He knows what he is doing. This is the kind of set up you need to find to make sure you have a tech that will not screw up your Shelby.

IngotSilverSnake,

I thought you might've been pulling my chain until I did some research. Ford made the decision to make all of it's dealerships SVT performance certified in 2005. They also had to make sure all of the mechanics/technicians SVT certified.

IngotSilverSnake,

I thought you might've been pulling my chain until I did some research. Ford made the decision to make all of it's dealerships SVT performance certified in 2005. They also had to make sure all of the mechanics/technicians SVT certified.

The fact is that all techs are not qualified to work on SVT vehicles. There is a Ford Tech that lives a few houses down from me. I asked him if he ever had the SVT training and he said no. He also said that most of the techs out there don't know much about Shelby's since they never see them. Just read some of the threads on this and other forums about how they screw up even simple things like oil changes. Lots of stories about "techs" that don't know Shelby's use an exclusive oil (5W-50) or how much oil the engine actually takes. Pretty sad. As I said above, best to find a dealership the specializes in our cars and has techs dedicated to work on them.

Oh I hear you. The dealership where I purchased my Beast has always been an SVT dealership..(whew) and they do have actual certified techs on hand, but I will still use my performance shop for scheduled maintenance except warranty work.

• 3 months later...

Update on my ride.

I trailored the car to Sandy Sansing Ford in Daphne Alabama and after test driving the car the rear end guy ordered a new Ring and Pinnion before even pulling the diff cover. So far so good with a dealership that seems to care about their customers. Keep your fingers crossed for me please. He said he is going to have his transmission guy take a look at the trans issues as well.

Archived