TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My Shelby Will Be Going Under The Knife Next Tuesday.........

yosemiddysam

Well I finally got an appointment to get the trans looked at. I will be taking the service director on a little cruise tomorrow to let him see exactly what the trans does. I am having the normal 1 to 2 grind about every 50 or so shifts but even more frieghtening is the 2nd gear starts where it jumps out of second. I am hoping it does it tomorrow so he can experiance it and not have some grease monkey out beating on my car trying to get it to do it. As crappy as this sounds....is there any ways that you guys have found to make it "happen"? I just dont want to take him for a ride and it not do it and them tell me they cant do anything about it until they see/feel/hear it. They will also be addressing the gremlin I have in my rear end that growls like a demon at high way speeds lol. I am going to try to talk them into installing my one piece aluminum drive shaft once/if they pull the trans. Wish me luck. I will keep the name of the Dealership out of this thread depending on how they treat me with this.

Hey Sam,

My car always does the 1-2 grind if i am excelerating while making the 1-2 shift while going up an incline...doesnt even have to be much of a hill and it will happen every time, worse if car is cold too...

I have solved my grind problem by having the dealer change out my clutch, they said i didnt need synchros and blockers etc., and then changing out the offset shift handle and getting rid of the rubber insert in the shifter handle. You will find an awesome thread by Gotoatz on how to make the shifter so much better without having to replace the whole thing. Search OMG what a difference shifter on here for the thread.

After having the clutch replaced for a 2013 and changing the shifter handle I only get the grind when the car is cold and just started, or whenever I am on an incline and getting on it, and like you mentioned I was getting it every few dozen shifts or so previously...

Good luck w the dealer, they had mine out to "test" the new clutch and I wasnt happy, but the car is fixed and they only put 8 miles on it...Cringing, ...Set your MYKey and they cant go too crazy.

Good Luck,

Matt

No problem, ya they should be able to see whats up with those limits set...The MYKey was the only way I could sleep knowing my car was with another man...LOL... I only had my car a month at the time so it felt like dropping my new wife off at the bar and asking some sailors on leave to watch over her! They needed to see if the clutch was still slipping under boost and were able to check it out without asking for my regular key, so you should be good to go

Good luck

Matt

Well the drive went very well. I actually drove the Service Manager around. While I could not get it to grind....I did get it to pop out of second a few times. I also let him hear the pissed off gremlin inside my rear diff. He said ...lol sound a little more than normal. I said no this is normal....foot off gas and silence.......foot back on gas and clunk and gremlin again lmao. We will see what happens. I will keep ya'll posted. On the bright side they said if the trans gets dropped they will install my one piece aluminum one for me.

*sitting on the edge of his seat, waiting for more...*

I just bought a 2012 GT500, wondering if this is a normal occurrence. Due to the time of the year I did not have the opportunity to drive the car before I purchased. It was delivered here and placed directly into my garage yesterday. She only has about 2,855 miles & now I will be even more eager for spring to come to test out my new (to me) ride.

So I dropped off the car this morning. I am already a little irritated. I personally took the Sevice Manager on a ride to "demonstrate" the issues. I go in to make sure everything was ok with the drop off (last night after hours) and was told they are waiting on the trans mechanic to drive the car. I ABSOLUTELY hate other people driving my car. I think he should have been the one to go on the test drive with me. Am I being unrealistic? I am sorry but I can not get over the fact that someone I do not know will be driving my car any which way they want. I have heard way too many horror stories.

Well they are diagnosing the rear end as a Ring and Pinnion change, The trans will have the fluid drained through a filter and if there is presence of Metal, Trans will be coming out. So far so good with the service dept. They have been nothing but helpful and professional! I was advised that the Mechanic was in the car with the Service advisor during the test drive which makes sense. I dont honestly know whether to cross my fingers that they find metal or hope they dont.......

well I got some news today that is about to put my blood pressure through the roof. I guess the previous owner installed a catless x pipe and now Ford is saying that that alone voids the engine, trans, and rear end warranty. Does any of this make sense to any of you? How in the hell can just a simple exhaust void your entire powertrain warranty? As far as I know it still has the stock axle back as well........ Needless to say I am a little pissed.

Please DO NOT accept Their explanation.... Exhaust has nothing to do with the powertrain... Headers and motor yes.... Catless x pipe Geeeeze They will try anything to make you(us) pay.....Stay on them... There are forum members here who can/will help you along..... Good Luck

If you need to return your exhaust back to stock before they will honor your power train warranty I may have the answer sitting in my garage. My Cats have less then 3k on them and are practically new and Id be willing to let them go allot cheaper than Ford will. Give me a call. I still say it major BS and they have to prove that the off road x caused the trans issue's.

I have seen it quite a few times. Yes, Ford will usually win with any change to the emissions system at all. While I totally agree that this in no way can impact the tranny or rear end, any change to the emission system does void the full powertrain warrantee. Since you have a catless X pipe, that also means that your computer has had a tuner connected to it to not read the rear sensors. I would fight it for sure, but they do have a case. If they notice the CAI and pulley, they have the same case. Often a friendly service tech or manager will work with you on something obviously completely unrelated, but........

Well the latest and greatest as of yesterday is that my Engine warrantee is gone. The trans and rear end is still up for debate. They are trying to figure out if/when they can "diagnose" the transmission and if it will be covered. It seems like I have to pay the 90 dollar diagnostic fee and then if they drop the trans, find something broke, and Ford denies my Warrantee then I will have to buy the parts, pay them for the removal, install and fix of the trans and be out quite a bit of money. I have contatcted the dealership that sold me the car in its current form minus the rear end mods. They have suggested I get the car back and take it to their SVT Certified Dealership in another state and everything will be fine. I am at such a loss here. I did not sign any form that said the exhaust was altered...... so the dealership that sold me the car is trying to help now, but the car is at a Dealership not 5 miles from my house....... I think part of the blame is mine for getting my panties all in a wad about letting everyone and their brother drive/redrive my car but to me it did not seem to be that bad of an request. Hell even a heads up that they needed to drive my car might have defused the situation. I honestly think that if Ford does not make this right, this will be the last vehicle I will purchase from them. I could honestly see if my car was the only Shelby with trans/rear end whine issues, then maybe my mods caused it but look at any forum and you will see countless people stuck in the same damned boat. Some of those have unmolested Shelby's. I installed the Upper/Lower/relocation brackets/ and panhard at the advice it would get rid of the rear end problems so now I am waiting on them to say that those mods cause the problems even though they were diagnosed with the factory stuff in it. It just seems I cant win for loosing and what pisses me off even more is I traded a bad ass 03 10th Anniversary Vert that I poured heart and soul (and a ton of money) into for my DREAM car. Greg I might need your exhaust if ya dont mind. If you can sell it please dont let me hold you up but I think taking my car back to stock might diffuse some of the crap I am dealing with.

Also with me being a GySgt in the Marine Corps during the day and going to College (Law enforcement Academy) at night from 1800 to 2200, I do not have time to really deal with this. My wife is driving my neighbors 98 Dodge Pick up, which she is thrilled with BTW so I can drive her truck to keep the miles down on his, and my car has sit for a week. Ok now I am bitching but only to re-enforce the impact that this well known issue has caused within my house. If anyone knows the "Certain" person to talk to please let me know. I have a case going with the Regional Customer Service Center so now I am at their mercy I guess.

Wow, yes, sounds like your selling dealer is going to have issues here. If in Colorado and a dealer sold this car without all the emissions equipment on the car, they would be in very deep doo doo right now. I imagine that they would go over the top to help you out here as that is really bad (and very illegal at least here). Did you buy it from a Ford dealer? If they sold it to you with remainder of the warrantee in affect, then they are responsible at this point for making it right.

In the early 2000's, Ford was up to an over 1/3rd owner of Mazda and they were sharing many platforms and things, but by 2010 Ford divested all of it's ownership of Mazda and severed all development or any other ties, so no, Mazda is not related to Ford in any way today. But if you live in an emissions area, I would imagine that the selling dealer would still be responsible for selling a fully emissions compliant vehicle.

Here is the problem with that Jeff, they know they sold me a car without exhaust....it could turn into a he said she said and I installed the exhaust prior to sale..... That dealership has been helpfull so far as to tell me to bring it to the Sandy Sansing dealership in another state. Problem with that now is HUB CITY FORD in CRESTVIEW FLORIDA has basically black balled my car in the system. No matter where i take my car it has a paper trail saying do not warrantee my car. Had they just told me that my car had an exhaust that voided the warrantee and advised me to change it prior to bringing it in, I would not be in this mess. Had they said the car was stock, the car would be torn apart and well on its way to being fixed since Ford would not have had an escape route to take. This is a well known issue that FORD has to know about!!!!! This crap about a Catless exhaust damaging a transmission and rear end just makes me want to throw up. This is how Ford treats a person that spends that much money on one of their top of the line cars?

Is there anyone that has any legal advice here? I'm not going to do the whole BBB thing because to put it frankly Hub City Ford has enough to the point, one more wont even matter. With the exception of blackballing my car which they pretty much had no choice in, the Service Mgr and Service Director seem to be trying to help me. To my face anyways. Does the Magnuson-Moss Warrantee Act help me at all? Some have said make Ford "Prove" the Exhaust damaged the trans/rear end.....How do I do that?

I got my car back yesterday from Hub City Ford. They will not do the work due to the possibility that it wont be covered under warranty. They said take it back to Sandy Sansing Mazda and "make" them fix it. If you are ever in the Florida Pan Handle I highly suggest you stear clear of Hub City Ford. This has been about the worst service/experiance of my life with a dealer. They even seemed suprised when I asked them to detail my car since they let it set out in the rain for most of the ten days they had it. SMDH

• 3 weeks later...

Keep going with the Lawyers, If you need a good attorney let me know. there is no way a exhaust can do anything to the tran thats bs and ford is just being stupid. they will have to prove it and they never can.

Yosemiddysam,

I'm sorry you're going through all this turmoil! Question, this Hub City Ford Dealership....are they a certified SVT dealership? I was told when I purchased mine that only the certified SVT dealers are authorized to sell (really?) and perform maintenance on SVT vehicles.

Mad Max

Archived