TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Alcoa Replicas?

trevor08gt

Decent looking wheel but I'm guessing no where near the quality of the Alcoa wheel. Also for me, I'd rather have the real thing instead of a knock off......but that's just me.

A good second option for those that can't afford real ones. Looks like they haven't been available for very long. They were only added on January 23, 2014 according to the site. I wish I still had my alcoas:(

I agree,they look real close to the Alcoas,but the price probably reflects the quality! Still a good option for some people.

What happened to your Alcoas trevor08gt?

I agree,they look real close to the Alcoas,but the price probably reflects the quality! Still a good option for some people.

Unfortunately I had to sell my 08. :( Which also meant selling my wheels. I wanted those for years and when I finally got them it was short lived Stupid tuition bills!! Followed the thread that sort of led to Jer bringing them back and thats when I got them. They're beautiful wheels!

Unfortunately I had to sell my 08. :( Which also meant selling my wheels. I wanted those for years and when I finally got them it was short lived Stupid tuition bills!! Followed the thread that sort of led to Jer bringing them back and thats when I got them. They're beautiful wheels!

That really sucks!!! Hopefully your tuition pays off Down the road and you can get another one!!!! Good luck!

I think these could be my next wheels. I found them cheaper on a few other sites. I LOVE the Alcoa's but just could not justify dropping that kind of cash on wheels. These may be cheaper, but no so cheap that I would suspect bad quality. I was wanting to wait for the proper offset Razor's to come out through American Muscle, but since they have just been holding them in inventory, I will go elsewhere. These are probably going to be it

Everyone who has/runs them reporting on the svtperf forums is real happy with them. They are all balancing out real well too.

The only real 'issue' I'd have with them is that they are CHROME plated vs. Dura-bright finish. They are also cast vs. forged, and made in China.

I know from first hand experience that Chinese metals are very typically subpar so that MIGHT be a issue in the future with chrome peeling and chipping (I've had H-D aftermarket mirrors with that problem).

Only time will tell,

Phill

Everyone who has/runs them reporting on the svtperf forums is real happy with them. They are all balancing out real well too.

The only real 'issue' I'd have with them is that they are CHROME plated vs. Dura-bright finish. They are also cast vs. forged, and made in China.

I know from first hand experience that Chinese metals are very typically subpar so that MIGHT be a issue in the future with chrome peeling and chipping (I've had H-D aftermarket mirrors with that problem).

Only time will tell,

Phill

If I get them, I will be going with the black. I had chrome 22 inch wheels on my old truck that begin to chip and pit... that and it was a pain in the a$$ to keep them clean.

If I get them, I will be going with the black. I had chrome 22 inch wheels on my old truck that begin to chip and pit... that and it was a pain in the a$$ to keep them clean.

Yep.

Coming from the 'old school' I can't tell you how many chrome wheels (i.e. Cragers) I've seen that the chrome is all peeled off.

Like I said, only TIME will tell.

Phill

I have em....

Unfortunately Ma Nature will not let me try em out!!! :banghead:

They look sweet tho and Phill is spot on......they took very little weight. The chrome finish is very good...I'll leave it at that...not perfect, but very good.

Running 255 / 285 NITTO NT555's. Total pkg (including TPMS kit) around $2700, all in.

CLICK on my sig pic and it will take you to my Flickr page for more photos.

BTW, the offset with those exact tires sizes is PHENOMENAL! Tucked perfectly inside the fender lips

Installed adj pan hard a month or so earlier. Thank goodness, cuz it would have looked cheesy if'n I hadn't.

Also another FYI .....

The importer of these is in northeast Jersey, so I drove up and did a cash and carry.... Saw the other finishes in person. The grey is dark and the black is satin. I was torn with my black stripe, whether or not to do the satin black ones. Went with my gut and pretty happy with the outcome!

:victory:

The chrome finish is very good...I'll leave it at that...not perfect, but very good.

Something to think about: I bought a set of Billet Aluminum chrome plated mirrors from Arlen Ness Inc. He gives a 1 year warranty on ALL billet parts that are chrome plated if the chrome chips or peels. Every set I'd get (he was initially replacing them) would peel in a couple to few months. He finally decided not to honor his stated warranty one time and it went to court (Well, I filed, he settled).

He had the original peeling set of mirrors rechromed at a different chrome shop than his mass production shop uses and sent them to me. Unfortunately they were buggerd up from the shop trying to buff out the bad spots but they were still usable.

The REchrome has lasted without ANY problem for about 10 years now.

So it's not necessarily the metal under the chrome that's the problem but the chrome finish itself. You MIGHT want to check into a GOOD chrome shop to see what it would cost to rechrome your Alcoa clones and have them replated before they pit or peel.

If I had bought a set of nude aluminum mirrors and had them plated at a GOOD chrome shop, I would'a never had a problem. Having said that, it would'a been pretty cheap to plate two little oval mirrors vs. a set of 4 spoked wheels.

Don't know that it might cost but you MIGHT want to at least look into it.

I'm "chrome shy" ever since that incident.

Phill (Give me POLISHED any day)

Those look great Bullitboy! Just glancing at your photo I would have just assumed those were the Alcoa's

Thanks! Although please understand I am NOT representing these as Alcoas and do NOT want to pass these off as something they are not. I just happen to like the way they look. :rockon:

Something to think about: I bought a set of Billet Aluminum chrome plated mirrors from Arlen Ness Inc. He gives a 1 year warranty on ALL billet parts that are chrome plated if the chrome chips or peels. Every set I'd get (he was initially replacing them) would peel in a couple to few months. He finally decided not to honor his stated warranty one time and it went to court (Well, I filed, he settled).

He had the original peeling set of mirrors rechromed at a different chrome shop than his mass production shop uses and sent them to me. Unfortunately they were buggerd up from the shop trying to buff out the bad spots but they were still usable.

The REchrome has lasted without ANY problem for about 10 years now.

So it's not necessarily the metal under the chrome that's the problem but the chrome finish itself. You MIGHT want to check into a GOOD chrome shop to see what it would cost to rechrome your Alcoa clones and have them replated before they pit or peel.

If I had bought a set of nude aluminum mirrors and had them plated at a GOOD chrome shop, I would'a never had a problem. Having said that, it would'a been pretty cheap to plate two little oval mirrors vs. a set of 4 spoked wheels.

Don't know that it might cost but you MIGHT want to at least look into it.

I'm "chrome shy" ever since that incident.

Phill (Give me POLISHED any day)

Not a bad thought Phill. Although I had an alternative thought (if that EVER happens) .... I will simply have them powder coated a hyper silver. Something much closer to the Durabright finish.

Incidentally Phill...not sure if this matters really??? However, this car will NEVER SEE snow or salty roads. And I don't reside in an ocean atmospherical area either.

I intend to buy a MotherBall and keep em waxed up too. That was told to me to do, by a car detail guy. It's my first set of chrome wheels in over one hundred cars owned.

Chris

Only time

Phill

I totally agree Phil! I had a nice and expensive set of Giovanna's on my car quite a few years ago,not sure of their origin in manufacture,but within a couple of weeks after I put them on I nailed a very small stone laying in the road,which it hit.

It felt and sounded like I had nailed a house brick,but it completely destroyed the rim on the inner part. It looked like it had been crushed! The rim was totally un-repairable,and a replacement was 6 weeks plus away!!!!

There is something to be said for the forged wheels,plus as you have said,no worries on the finish rusting or peeling.

Thanks! Although please understand I am NOT representing these as Alcoas and do NOT want to pass these off as something they are not. I just happen to like the way they look. :rockon:

Not a bad thought Phill. Although I had an alternative thought (if that EVER happens) .... I will simply have them powder coated a hyper silver. Something much closer to the Durabright finish.

Completely understand and agree. I would not try to pass them as the real deal either. I just love the look. Besides, anyone who truely knows what the Alcoa's are would know they weren't the real ones upon inspection.

I have em....

Unfortunately Ma Nature will not let me try em out!!! :banghead:

They look sweet tho and Phill is spot on......they took very little weight. The chrome finish is very good...I'll leave it at that...not perfect, but very good.

Running 255 / 285 NITTO NT555's. Total pkg (including TPMS kit) around $2700, all in.

CLICK on my sig pic and it will take you to my Flickr page for more photos.

I have to say that they do look good for sure!

Just got my tires mounted up on my "knock offs" as well. Tire guys said they balanced out better than most they do. I went with 255/35/20 and 295/35/20's Nitto Invos. They look good and everything mounted up no problem!

th_F5883D17-148D-4883-A5FC-DA00C9A5E49D_

th_4725A961-4E2F-48C8-B17D-F5D6A64D40BB_

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics. I was so excited I endured the cold to get em on real quick.

Now, I'm not trying to pass these off as Alcoas either. I simply love the look of Alcoas and happen to believe that at present time, the Alcoas are WAY overpriced for what they are. The price doesn't reflect that Alcoas are the end all be all, they just reflect supply/demand. Had I been able to get in and purchase a set of Alcoas for what they originally were sold for, I would have gobbled them up. It will be some time before that subsides so the alternative was this. Yes, time will tell if the chrome on these wheels will hold up, and I'm willing to take that risk as is anyone else who buys any chrome rim.

I totally agree that this is a great option for anyone who liked and wanted a set of Alcoas for their cars!

It will be interesting what kind of price impact they might have on the Shelby Alcoas! I don't think that knock offs will hurt the "real mcoys" value too much. It will fill the void and demand for the people who couldn't or didn't want to pay the high prices that the Alcoas originals now go for. I think that is a great option for anyone who wants to go that route!

Should not hurt values at all. The Alcoa's are iconic and not being produced anymore. If anything they will increase in value over time.

I tend to agree with you,I have a complete spare set still in the boxes just in case I damage one,but if I don't they are still an investment I think!!!

I still haven't had the car on the road....so DAMN much white piled up everywhere not to mention so much salt and unGodly potholes!

So, I really can't report on how the car handles (balance / vibration) issues , etc....

But I must say...........every time I open the garage door and look out, it sure looks COOL!

:hysterical:

Balanced well and love it...took gold at our local show on Saturday.

1901093_627268493987822_2031914523_o.jpg

It looks like you parked next to a car with the genuine item on it. How did they compare being side-by-side???

Phill

Archived