TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Retirement Vehicle A Few Years Early!

Swiftsnavy

Just returned from Bahrain and found the Shelby color and year i've always wanted, white with blue stripes, 2014, with a 1000 miles. Unfortunately its going to be my daily driver until I pick up a small beater, and what better timing with the weather...

We live in the Hampton Roads area and with the secondary roads not being plowed im afraid I wont even be able to make it out of the neighborhood (stock goodyears). I've read the stocks are horrible in the cold weather. Has anyone heard of using weights in the trunk to help with traction? Any info will help. Thanks!

Hello from a Va Beach resident. Some snow yesterday! Congrats on the Shelby. Your color combination is classic Shelby. I can't say I have seen one here yet. Correct on your comment. I think your largest issue will be tires. The Goodyear F1's simply are bad all weather tires. There are a few threads about this on the forum. I have narrowed my choice down to the Michelin Pilot AS line. They are a great year round performance tire. The guys up north may chime in. I don't think weight in the trunk will help. I did that trick with my F150 a couple years ago and it really did not work. Enjoy your daily commute!

Swiftsnavy,

Welcome home, shipmate. I'm a CRUDES guy living in Carrollton. I cannot agree more with KR664 and Ingot: you don't want your Shelby anywhere near the junk on the roads now or in any temps much below 50 degrees. I'm running Pilot Super Sports, but summer tires are called that for a reason. My "outside dog" is an

07 Focus; gets me anywhere I need to go, and the salt attacking it is much preferred to getting that crap all over my Shelby. Join the rest of us waiting for sunshine, warmer temps and clean road surfaces; part of the price for owning one of these beasts.

Again, glad to have you back from the Sand Box, and enjoy what's left of winter to do indoor stuff to and with your new ride.

All the best,

Quinn

Congrats on the Shelby. Take a cab if you have to but I would leave that new 14 in the garage till that mess you are in has passed as somebody will likely plow into you. 2" of snow and Atlanta paralyzed... That seems ridiculous to a midwesterner like me. I would blame inexperienced winter drivers moreso than the Mayor and all the officilas.

whiteshelby026_zps9635537d.jpg

Just returned from Bahrain and found the Shelby color and year i've always wanted, white with blue stripes, 2014, with a 1000 miles. Unfortunately its going to be my daily driver until I pick up a small beater, and what better timing with the weather...

We live in the Hampton Roads area and with the secondary roads not being plowed im afraid I wont even be able to make it out of the neighborhood (stock goodyears). I've read the stocks are horrible in the cold weather. Has anyone heard of using weights in the trunk to help with traction? Any info will help. Thanks!

Mine is an early retirement present too! I do have another beater vehicle to drive. A 2001 Mustang V6. It's my daughter's former car, with 106,000 miles on it.

I purchased a set of Boss 302 wheels and Pirelli 275/40/19 P Zero Nero all season tires from American Muscle for cold weather driving. It starts getting cold here in New England in late October until late March. I don't drive it in poor weather or on icy roads, so I have only driven it about three times in the last month or so.

The Goodyears are unsafe in cold weather. The biggest concern isn't as much traction but stopping! The tires get slippery to the point of uselessness. The Pirellis do the cold weather job to safely drive and stop. I just wanted something to allow me the ability to drive it longer during the year. I have no complaints about getting them. So I have both the beater and the alternate setup. It is definitely peace of mind!

Congratulations on getting the car!

Pete

Maybe we can all pass the collection plate and donate to get Swiftsnavy a beater so he does not have to take the beast out in bad conditions. :bliss:

Congrats on your new ride!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived