TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Deposit Sent!

drzeeba

One year ago I fell in love with and purchased 08 SGT0312. Vista Blue vert. Drove it from TN to ND. Started with the top down and literally had to give the door a shoulder throw to get out of the car when we got back to ND in April. The slush had layered and frozen over the outside of the car during the drive!

Today in confirmed my build with Jeremy at SAI. Car will ship to Vegas in the next few weeks.

The upgrades include:

-Polished FR Whipple 550 S/C

-Clear aluminum cooling system

-Billet Watts link suspension

-Deep draw hood

-Brake upgrade

-Shelby GT/SR wheels with Goodyear tires

-Gauge pod

-Front and rear brake ducts

-Borla S exhaust

-One piece drive shaft

-3.73 gears

-new stripe kit

As much as I wanted to do the SR package I want to keep the car comfortable and driveable so I opted for the GT/SC with a splash of SR for good measure.

Thanks to all that have posted info related to the SC upgrade. This is a great resource for all that is Shelby!

image.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sure Jer told you to also add the special belt tensioner. You won't believe the smile you will have first time to give it a little throttle. You will probably end up with a net of about 490 HP. Enough to kick just about every ass out there.

I would add some 4 or 6 piston front brakes to your list. You will be getting to 100 MPH real quick. Nice to have equal stopping power.

'07 White/Tan SGT/SC Coupe

'08 Vista Blue/ Black SGT Vert

I love these cars. They are special. :)

Enjoy and good luck.

You will love it. Curiously, I thought the deep draw hoods were out of stock. Were you promised one, or is it simply on your wish list?

Troy

It's on the build list so they must be available.... I'll post if I hear otherwise.

You are going to be blown away what this change does to the car. First, be VERY CAREFUL about accelerating into left turns from intersections. There is a high chance you will break the tires and scoot into a turn. This can be fixed with good tires or high temps of both tires and road surface (i.e., not cold tires on cold roads, or even warm tires on cold roads).

Both of mine were convertibles too. You get a little less of the suspension package. But it doesn't matter - the blower alone is enough to give you the time of your life.

Plus you get those really cool GT/SC side rocker stripes!

Sweet. I wanted to convert mine into a SGT/SR as well back in the day but it didn't work out.

Did they say you could have done the SR package if you wanted to do the whole package?

Your going to have one special car.

I am sure Jer told you to also add the special belt tensioner.

I would add some 4 or 6 piston front brakes to your list. You will be getting to 100 MPH real quick. Nice to have equal stopping power.

I wasn't involved, but I will whole-heartedly recommend both. Good call!

Jer

Sweet. I wanted to convert mine into a SGT/SR as well back in the day but it didn't work out.

Did they say you could have done the SR package if you wanted to do the whole package?

Your going to have one special car.

Yes, the SR package is available. I want to keep the car user friendly (wife drives it occasionally) and some of the SR options are more than I realistically need. I don't plan to ever take it to the track.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I mentioned this above, but I want to remind you that with the supercharger, your tires may now be your weak link. You'll need to be careful with power changes, i.e., downshifts to turn or accelerate, without a throttle blip to RPM match [commonly referred to as heel and toe maneuver]). This is because the extra HP now can cause what is called compression braking and result in the rear end to momentarily "lock up" which causes the tires to squeak [which means they have momentarily lost traction] and the effect can be a pucker-inducing oversteer.

I did it with mine and I wasn't even trying - I was at a low speed to turn left across traffic into a gas station, stepped on the pedal and started the turn and goosed it to get across and the blower kicked in and I fishtailed.

Stickier tires help.

Best thing is to try it under your conditions in a wide open place where you can get the feel for it.

Enjoy!!!

Stickier tires help.

Best thing is to try it under your conditions in a wide open place where you can get the feel for it.

Enjoy!!!

kinda like learning to drive in the snow, make it slide so when it happens when you don't expect it, your instincts take over.

Great advice. Tires have been a question for me also. I think Jeremy at SAI is steering me in the right direction.

The biggest challenge I have is related to rubber and our climate. There are times when we will be 85 or more during the day and in the 40's once the sun goes down. We appreciate the change of seasons in North Dakota. Just not in the same day!

I think a happy medium in a tire along with a healthy dose of driving experience tempered by respect for horse power is going to provide the best experience.

Thanks again.

I grew up in ND and always drove a 2WD full size pickup while living there. Even now in MN, I take every chance I get to practice sliding through turns and such with my F150 and staying in control. I can handle the snow fine, but it's a whole different ball of wax than high speed loss of traction in a powerful car. Especially when it comes to things like lift-off oversteer and other scary things. And then there's the traction control....I still can't figure out how to drive well in concert with those electronic forces that seem to be so inconsistent in what they are attempting to do to you - or "save" you from yourself. There is much I still have to learn about driving my car near it's limits - Respect the snake or it will bite you bad.

Please post up some photos of your car when you get it....Especially that hood! Congratulations and enjoy!

Congrats! Welcome to the club.

I would be remiss if I didn't direct your attention to my "Windowed Betsy" thread on this sub-forum.

When I picked mine up at SAI, Roger flipped me the keys, looked me right in the eyes, and said, "Leave the traction control on!"

I was not disappointed!

Congrats! Welcome to the club.

I would be remiss if I didn't direct your attention to my "Windowed Betsy" thread on this sub-forum.

When I picked mine up at SAI, Roger flipped me the keys, looked me right in the eyes, and said, "Leave the traction control on!"

I was not disappointed!

Believe me when I say that I have been paying close attention to your thread. Sorry for your loss. And best of luck with the rebuild.

I've talked with SAI and I can't be more comfortable with the package we have put together. Their suggestions and recommendations have been very helpful and appreciated.

Believe me when I say that I have been paying close attention to your thread. Sorry for your loss. And best of luck with the rebuild.

I've talked with SAI and I can't be more comfortable with the package we have put together. Their suggestions and recommendations have been very helpful and appreciated.

Unless they are installing a larger diameter pulley set-up to keep boost around ~6lbs, that Whipple 550 may put you in the same situation I was in. It ran perfectly for over 4 years...

• 2 months later...

Archived