TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby American Factory Tour - New Building

captdave

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too harsh of a statement.

I wouldn't throw a bucket of cold water on the enthusiasm of our core supporters, that's not right. I believe the photos in this thread are exciting and interesting to all of you, and I would never want to be the enemy of great intentions.

But, I will update our Heritage Center with signs that state our policy - to be fair, it was clearly posted at our previous facility, and is NOT at our new building. So, no harm, no foul, but it IS still the rule.

BTW, this policy was enacted after objections by our customers, who resented pix of their half-built cars (and sometimes, license plates) being posted on the Internet, etc...

Jer

The lower right of the photo is where you first enter the factory floor when you're on the official tour. You stay along the wall behind a barricade that runs to our left where you pop out...guess where? That's right...the gift shop.

It's almost like the whole place was designed by a professional retailer… :kyle_caraway :

Jer

Too harsh of a statement.

I wouldn't throw a bucket of cold water on the enthusiasm of our core supporters, that's not right. I believe the photos in this thread are exciting and interesting to all of you, and I would never want to be the enemy of great intentions.

But, I will update our Heritage Center with signs that state our policy - to be fair, it was clearly posted at our previous facility, and is NOT at our new building. So, no harm, no foul, but it IS still the rule.

BTW, this policy was enacted after objections by our customers, who resented pix of their half-built cars (and sometimes, license plates) being posted on the Internet, etc...

Jer

I pointed out to our tour leader (Denny Keru) about the old rules back in 2010 when I had my first Shelby American visit. He said no restriction with photo's, I even have a few of him in the shop.

I remembered the old rules so I have been purposely making my photo's a bit hard to make out. Everything is deeply darkened. Every shot was taken around noon on a clear day with light coming in the overhead skylights. Every light was burning in the shop. I make most of them look like after hours on the weekend.

CaptDave

The old facility wouldn't allow photos in the production area during the tour. Have they officially changed that rule?

I was wondering that too. In fact, as many Shelby photos as Ive taken, I was required to check my camera at the entrance to the back area....

I have some personal photos that were from the shop and also from Gardena, and it was agreed that they would never be shared. I drool over them, but I've kept my part of the deal. Carroll had some really cool cars in the warehouse. Some from people that would drop your jaw.

I pointed out to our tour leader (Denny Keru) about the old rules back in 2010 when I had my first Shelby American visit. He said no restriction with photo's, I even have a few of him in the shop.

I remembered the old rules so I have been purposely making my photo's a bit hard to make out. Everything is deeply darkened. Every shot was taken around noon on a clear day with light coming in the overhead skylights. Every light was burning in the shop. I make most of them look like after hours on the weekend.

CaptDave

In my opinion, you took great photos and presented them in a very professional and considerate way - THANK YOU!

Jer

In my opinion, you took great photos and presented them in a very professional and considerate way - THANK YOU!

Jer

That means a bunch to me. I remembered the old rules and it stuck in the back of my mind.

This looks like it's in the evening and everyone's gone home. Not it's really noon and the lights are blinding!

12215244775_cd364d09f9_c.jpg

CaptDave

Denny Keri leading the 10:30 am Shelby American Factory Tour. He did such a great job I hung around for the 1:30 pm SA Factory Tour.

Hard to see but the guy with the light colored shirt 2nd from right. According to SAAC his name is "Tweety", he did all the early fiberglass work for Shelby American back in the day on the early 66 GT350's. He made all 2500 fiberglass hoods. He was with us on the tour adding loads of fantastic incites into Shelby American back in the day!

I have better shots of Tweety on the tour. I'll dig another out.

12372044683_ee56bb030a_c.jpg

CaptDave

That means a bunch to me. I remembered the old rules and it stuck in the back of my mind.

This looks like it's in the evening and everyone's gone home. Not it's really noon and the lights are blinding!

12215244775_cd364d09f9_c.jpg

CaptDave

That's my next car I ordered at SAI in the foreground…...

That's my next car I ordered at SAI in the foreground…...

Holy S...

Do you mean you ordered that exact car or one just like it? I have more photo's of that area of the shop.

Again, you lucky SOB. That Cobra is stunning! I don't think anyone can take their eyes off it, I know I can't.

Your Cobra is in 12 of my photo's, a couple are just partial view. I have really nice solid shots. I have a Sony A77 DSLR, it's a nice toy. I did some in what's called in camera HDR, the rest are in Camera RAW (the best). I think I used a flash when I did the tour the second time, those are the Camera RAW shots.

CaptDave

Thanks! Not that exact one, that is the one they had on display at Barrett Jackson a month ago, I think. I sat in it before it overwhelmed me and I had to order one. Those are the 50th Anniversary edition '65 FIA Cobra, a 289 variant. In about a year or so, I may get it!

Thanks! Not that exact one, that is the one they had on display at Barrett Jackson a month ago, I think. I sat in it before it overwhelmed me and I had to order one. Those are the 50th Anniversary edition '65 FIA Cobra, a 289 variant. In about a year or so, I may get it!

A stunning Cobra, at least the back half. To see them actually building Cobra's is something to see.

12325011325_26ef443af3_c.jpg

CaptDave

Still on the factory tour with Denny Keri. The Shelby 1000 is a monster. I'm guessing this will be a quite rare Shelby. I may only see it on the Shelby American Factory Tour. I see GT500's, KR's and even a SS once in a while. NY Auto Show is probably the only other place I will see it.

Tweety, he's in the back (tall, white shirt and light hair). He's the guy back in the day made the GT350's fiberglass. He made 2500 66 GT350 hoods. He made the fiberglass on the 67 Shelby in the museum, but it looks like 68 fiberglass. Yep...Tweety did that, a long time ago.

Anyway: Shelby 1000

12372258624_faec60849f_c.jpg

CaptDave

Denny Keri giving the tour.

Behind Denny is the parts area. You can see the wall that separates them for us, or maybe the other way around.

This is where the beginning of the Factory Floor Tour starts. We move from one and of this building to the other, keeping us contained behind the wall.

12371844223_bb72f2fae2_c.jpg

12370504245_7a3f4798fb_c.jpg

CaptDave

Front entrance and Gift Shop. I had just missed CSX2000 by a couple days. I believe that is where it goes.

This is where the Factory Tour starts. Directly behind me starts the Shelby's in the display area.

12371429065_a9f777ffc9_c.jpg

CaptDave

CaptDave

The photos are very nice-I envy people with the ability to do more than just smile and snap. Kudos to you for sure!

The photos are very nice-I envy people with the ability to do more than just smile and snap. Kudos to you for sure!

Thanks

I have been working hard at this for a few years. Got my first DSLR in 2009, got a much better one 2 years ago. I've had Photoshop CS5 for about 3 years, but never really went deep into it. In the past year I have been working much harder with Photoshop CS5 and now have Photoshop CC (it's really like CS6).

I did an article for The Shelby American (SAAC) back in 2009 when I first got my Sony A350 (Article about Daytona Coupe, GT40 MKII + IV at the Simeone Foundation in Philly). I didn't know much about how to do photography, but I was better than my old Sony Point & Shoot. Looking back my photo's submitted to The Shelby American were awful. But I do get to say Published Photojournalist for SAAC.

If Shelby American is at the New York Auto Show this year, I will be ready.

CaptDave

Thanks

I have been working hard at this for a few years. Got my first DSLR in 2009, got a much better one 2 years ago. I've had Photoshop CS5 for about 3 years, but never really went deep into it. In the past year I have been working much harder with Photoshop CS5 and now have Photoshop CC (it's really like CS6).

I did an article for The Shelby American (SAAC) back in 2009 when I first got my Sony A350 (Article about Daytona Coupe, GT40 MKII + IV at the Simeone Foundation in Philly). I didn't know much about how to do photography, but I was better than my old Sony Point & Shoot. Looking back my photo's submitted to The Shelby American were awful. But I do get to say Published Photojournalist for SAAC.

If Shelby American is at the New York Auto Show this year, I will be ready.

CaptDave

Awesome! I am looking forward to seeing more of your work. You clearly work very hard to grow and achieve the results and I am impressed to say the least. Great work!

I was there on Wednesday, and I didn't notice this car there. When did you take this pic?

I was there on 1-22-2014, SS photo's taken at 1:22 pm. They are changing things around. I think they said about 6 cars of the major collection weren't there (CSX2000 for instance).

They had two SS's Black / Gold & Blue & White ones.

CaptDave

They still displaying a 2006 HERTZ?

I have 2 photo of the front end of a Black and Gold Shelby GT, that's got to be it. It's buried next to the Dodge's

I love the 06 SGT's, it must have been buried. Maybe hidden behind the group of people on the tour. I must have missed it completely, I would have gotten that. Most of my photo's have loads of people around that area. The guy leading the tour would back people up against the Dodge's to show the GT500 SS (blue one). or...because where it's located close to the wall next to the Dodge's there may have been no good shot?

Sorry.

CaptDave

They still displaying a 2006 HERTZ?

No, we don't have a Hertz car in there right now.

And the Anniversary GT350 and Anniversary Super Snake both were sold about a week-10 days ago.

Jer

This is from the back wall looking toward the gift shop and entrance. Factory Floor is just to the right when on the tour.

Right to left, Blue GT350, White GT350, Blue GT500 SS, Black and Gold Shelby with duel stripes. I thought that was the 06 SGT I may have missed. As you can see I only have a small piece of it. Well...if it's not a 06 SGT that's why I may have missed it.

12398473425_7c44d04724_c.jpg

CaptDave

The black and gold with Le Mans stripes was the Anniversary GT350 that just sold.

Jer

Archived