TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby American Factory Tour - New Building

captdave

Z-man

It's great to hear from you again, it's been awhile.

Yes, I love the darker photo's way better. I only posted the more unedited ones to give everyone a feel for the size of the Shelby American facility. The way I edit you don't see 6 feet past the car (if that). OK...your going to see a NYC Broadway show, do you really want to see the actors before makeup? For you guys that travel to Vegas, do you really want to see your stripper 1 hour before she shows up at the club? I think I'll leave a little mystery.

How do I get the photo's to look like that? I only use Adobe PS6 + Adobe Camera RAW (I have Adobe Photoshop CC for Photographers). I take about 30,000 photo's a year. I have taken many Photoshop courses (online). I read the Photography websites for at least 2 hrs. a day. I practice photo editing for about 2-4 hrs a day. And a bunch of books about my camera and photography in general.

There's no 1 click wonder button that does the editing. You have to know how and what to do.

This is a simple photo taken thru the window at EWR of a United 757 on January 21st of this year (the show storm last week). There's a lot of work there.

12211919913_3c90613121_c.jpg

CaptDave

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The guy in the white shirt said he made that, and all the other 66 GT350 fiberglass hoods. He said he worked for Shelby back in the day and was paid piecemeal to do the fiberglass. He was with me on the first tour giving loads of extra info about Shelby American in the early to mid 60's. He pointed to a few cars along the way and said, "I drove that". Wild stories about the 427 Auto Cobra on the floor. How Cosby's Shelby Supersnake got returned, sent back to a dealer and wrecked by an employee there. The black 67 Shelby on the floor with 68 fiberglass, he made the demo car fiberglass. This was a real 60's California Dude, he hung around telling stories for a while after the factory tour.

I really lucked out getting a Shelby American Factory Tour with The Fiberglass Dude. Thank you for all you did in the day, and all your great stories on my first visit to the New Shelby American.

The couple were from Sweden now living in California, just like The Fiberglass Dude. The three of them disappeared into the parking lot to check out the nice people from Sweden's Corvette (not a Z06). And they were never seen again, at least not by me.

I never got The Fiberglass Dude's name, I thought he was coming back in.

12372426654_23c6d7848d_c.jpg

CaptDave

I like this Cobra a bunch, can you tell. I did a Posterize effect here, I think it works. Posterize is just a couple of clicks effect, very easy. The photo below shows the full edit just before Posterize. The full edit was a little bit of work.

Which do you think work best, I like them both?

CaptDave

Don't like the posterized thing. Tried it when I was doing film and printing from an enlarger. The second photo is really much better.

I also don't care much for the high contrast HDR stuff either.

I'm scanning all my pictures (30K frames so far) and I really like Kodachrome for slides and what we called CPS in the 70's for negatives.

H2 Powered Cobra? This just doesn't seem right. It did work, about as good as the Chevy Volt on electric. Not a long drive on H2. I guess if you had a trailer filled with H2 to tow behind it, then it may run for an entire race.

Lots of strange stuff at Vegas Shelby American.

12238716824_cc966e20dd_c.jpg

CaptDave

I will be there for the tour and to see Jer next Friday afternoon, maybe I will see you.. I have had a long interest in the Hydrogen Cobra that was licensed many years ago. Unfortunately, the tank held enough to power it for very short distances based on the technology during its development.

Captain, that is a lot of editing work, but well worth the results. Too bad you didn't get the fiberglass guys name. He would be a great interview for the historical record.

Don

First time in the new building, WOW!!! What an improvement over the old facility. This is way more user friendly. Real close to the downtown Vegas Strip, and LAS Airport. Loads of parking and a huge upscale mall right next door for the wife. Huge gift shop to spend my money in, I knew that would be there.

I paid a visit on 1-22-2014. I made the first factory tour at 10:30am. I hung around after the first tour so long I joined the second tour at 1:30pm. Then what did I do? Hung around a bit more. Wife wants to know how can I spend half a day looking at the same cars over and over? It's like they have a mystic hold on me here? Even the parking lot is fun to visit.

Anyway...well-done!

CaptDave

12215244775_cd364d09f9_c.jpg

Sorry, just wanted to bump this one. It's to nice of a shot to see once in this thread!

Ford Fest

That photo still gives me goose bumps every time I look at it. That's the first thing I saw when I entered the Shelby American Factory Floor. The sight of those two brand freekin new Cobra's put a big lump in my throat. It's a simple photo that works, no explanation is really needed. It would be nice if Carroll was looking down with a smile.

CaptDave

I didn't really like 2 of the picts I posted, I'm trying to fix them up a bit. I'm running out of ideas...how about...an Oil Painting?

12262206226_521763566f_c.jpg

This is what I first posted. Did I help it?

Z-man, here is your before and after.

12225146875_e75aa0532c_c.jpg

CaptDave

New GT350's

To the right in front of the Blue GT350 is the entrance to the shop where I took the 2 Cobra shot I really love. We are almost at the back wall of the display area. You are looking toward the gift shop and front entrance.

Z-man likes my darker shots, we will see on this one. I think the GT's look Nuevo & Mysterious, all at the same time.

12293888405_3017b875c0_c.jpg

CaptDave

Z-man

The Photo effect of the other is call HARD MIX. Was that over the top? I was trying to capture the fact that the new GT350's are a bit futuristic.

Got rid of HARD MIX, how about LINEAR Burn?

12293888405_3017b875c0_c.jpg

12292744125_e018b07a02_c.jpg

CaptDave

Just a quick one of the outside. Front entrance to the right of the red Shelby. Gift shop behind this wall. The garage door on the left is the main floor. You will see that area on the tour.

The upscale outdoor mall (Town Square Mall) is just beyond that bridge to the left. A perfect place to sedate the wife, while your looking at Shelby American for a few hours. They have a few Shelby's in the front customer parking area.

Loads of room here, well thought out. No problem bringing your Shelby here! Everyone at Shelby American are extremely friendly and welcoming!

12309197716_b1f61e8556_c.jpg

CaptDave

The lower right of the photo is where you first enter the factory floor when you're on the official tour. You stay along the wall behind a barricade that runs to our left where you pop out...guess where? That's right...the gift shop.

See #98 there? Just to the left is the 2 Cobras that I first posted about. This is a huge open area to the center and some parts storage to the right.

You have to see this in person!

12311519524_3fee8c4c7d_c.jpg

CaptDave

The old facility wouldn't allow photos in the production area during the tour. Have they officially changed that rule?

+1, when I was there last March, with my tripod, lenses, etc. ready to shoot, they said no way. Only allowed one cell phone pic of my GT350 in the holding area.

Archived