TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Does Inflator Slime Ruin Tire?

I have used my 07 SGT as a daily driver since new. I'm always concerned about a flat and was disappointed when I learned they were coming with an air inflator and can of slime instead of the traditional jack and compact spare. But, so far I still have the air inflator/slime.

Does anyone know the serviceability of the tire after the slim has been used? Once the car is able to make it to a service center and the hole properly patched, is the tire ok to reuse? This assumes it was a fixable puncture and the tire is still in good condition.

Or does the slime ruin the tire, except to get it to a service center?

Thanks!!

Odds are, your inflator is now past its expiration date, so it may not be an issue...

But, to answer your question, the "slime" is just to get you to a service center, it's not a permanant fix.

Jer

Slime won't hurt the tire like many other canned tire repair products, although none are designed to be used for extended periods of time. Do be ready to deal with the fast that you will probably have to pay for a new TPMS sensor/stem when you repair or replace the tire.

Odds are, your inflator is now past its expiration date, so it may not be an issue...

But, to answer your question, the "slime" is just to get you to a service center, it's not a permanant fix.

Jer

Thanks, guys for your replies.

I may not of been clear on what I was asking.

My question is: I have filled the tire with the slim and I drive to the service center. They then take the tire off and put a patch over the hole, just like any other tire without the slime.

If I hadn't used the slime, I'd be good to go after they remounted the tire. But, since mine still has the slime in it, can they also remount it and get me going?

Or does the slime affect the tire such that I need to replace it?

Also, does it affect the tire pressure monitor sensors?

Does that question make sense?

Thanks, again guys!!

jaydub

To answer your question from a mechanics piont of view , Slime = bad . I hate it when someone comes in with a tire in need of repair that has slime in it (especially when they don't tell you that it has slime in it) The only DOT approved tire repair is a stem/patch repair which means that you have to dismount the tire from the wheel. Upon breaking the bead loose from the wheel the slime spills out and gets all over the tech and the shop equipment (and it's sticky) . The wheel and the inside of the tire needs to be washed out and cleaned with a tire cleaner then the puncture area must be cleaned and buffed to accomplish virgin rubber in order for the patch cement to adhere properly. The stem/patch is then is put in place (use a stem patch to seal the entire depth of the tread area which was punctured and provide an adequate surface area to anchor to the inside carcass) and then is coated with a coating to protect it from heat and/or contamination from within the tire. Dismounting the tire also allows the tech to inspect the inside of the tire for damages especially on the sidewall area - if the tire was run low on pressure long enough it may have ground down the inside of the sidewall making it no good - I've seen this several times. More than likely your TPMS will be damaged due to the slime getting into the hole of the sensor where it senses the pressure within. My suggestion is to have a portable air compressor/inflator and a tire plug kit (with a pair of diagonal pliers)in your trunk if a spare isn't in the picture (I have a full size spare in my 2007 GT500). So if your TPMS indicator goes off on your dash you can pull over and plug the tire , air it up , and get to a repair facility for a proper repair. The slime will not effect the integrity of the rubber inside of the tire for the short time it is intended for but don't leave it in there for months. Tire repairs are limited to the center 80% of the tread area of a tire and 1/4" in diameter. Tires having been repaired have diminished load and speed ratings. Check out TireRack.com and read some of their tech articles - very informative.

All the varieties of liquid tire sealants leave a mess that annoy tire changers. It is a mess to clean up, will cause unbalanced tires at speed and is only to get you to a tire dealer for a new tire. I used to handle various brands, aerosol and non-aerosol types for many years. It is only for emergency convenience, not repair. With the lack of spares now in many vehicles, the best bet is a run flat performance tire that can get you safely off the road.

Not sure of your driving habits but remember a plugged tires lose its high speed rating.

+1000

Most patches will work safely at hwy speeds and the auld jaunt into low triple digits. Now do you really need to be thinking about a patched tire at 160+?

Archived