TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New 2014 Shelby Gt500 Owner! I Just Have A Couple Of Questions.

billross

In my almost five decades of life, I've never owned a brand-new car. In all those years, I've only seen a handful of cars that I wanted to own new, but I never pulled the trigger. Well, for the last year or so, the 2013-2014 Ford Shelby GT500 has really been calling my name. Now that production has come to an end for the GT500s and the new ones are quickly disappearing from dealer showrooms, I finally decided to pull the trigger. I decided I'm not going to let this one get away. I bought a brand-new 2014 Shelby GT500!

I wanted a hard top with the extra-cost Ruby Red paint and with the SVT performance package and no other options to add cost or weight. I also wanted the stripe delete (no stripes) option. I like the "understated but all business" look. My local Ford dealer found exactly that car at another dealer in another state and I bought it. They shipped it to my house in an enclosed trailer, and they drove it straight from the trailer into my garage. I haven't even driven it yet! I have to wait until probably at least early April for the snow to clear here in Minnesota. So it rests under a cover in the garage with 5.2 miles on it.

I have a couple of quick questions:

- I know the car has LED daytime running lights, are those lights always on when you're driving or can you switch them off somehow?

- I noticed the battery indicator on top of the battery is orange, so I hooked it to a 3amp trickle charger and charged it all day. It's still orange, is this any cause for concern?

- Does the "suede" on the steering wheel get old-looking quickly? It's a nice look but I almost feel I'll need to wear white gloves to keep it new looking, hahaha!

- I noticed a wire running from the passenger-side fender area up under the insulation under the hood. There's no underhood light or anything else electrical that I can see, what is that wire for?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to getting the Shelby out on the road this spring!

Here's the car backing out of the transporter trailer:

BackingOutOfTrailer_zps88f0577a.jpg

Side view:

SideShot_zpsa6ae48b5.jpg

Engine signatures:

HandBuilt_zps58b11b66.jpg

Odometer with 5.2 miles:

Gauges_zps35998d59.jpg

Ewwww. Snow. There are numerous topics but the warning is similar to the movie that said you should never feed the little monsters after midnight: never drive a Shelby gt500 (or cobra or Ford gt or ferrari eyc) with factory tires in cold weather. Trained professionals on closed courses are excused. As are people who grew up in South Dakota and have never owned a front wheel drive car

While I can't answer any of your questions yet. Congratulations on pulling the trigger. I too bought a 2014 GT500, but not only do I not get to drive mine until April, I don't even get to look at it until then. I'm sitting here in Juneau Alaska, enjoying the unseasonably warm temperatures (mid 40's), while my car sits in Ohio. I got the same color package as you but with the stripe and glass roof. Was planning to do a month long road trip bringing it up here, but my wife broke her leg and can't put any weight on it for three months, or remain stationary too long. Looks like I will have it shipped to the Portland/Vancouver area and do a mini road trip to coincide with one of my wife's follow-up appointments with her surgeon. Best of luck to you on your wait. I am interested to see the answers to you questions.

Bill:

Congrats on a beautiful car. Believe me, I know from where you speak regarding the snow. I live in North Oaks (near White Bear Lake) and I haven't driven my car since mid-September and there seems to be no end in site to this winter. If you can, take advantage of as many car shows as you can this summer as the season is very short as you know.

Welcome aboard.

Kevin

First let me congratulate you on one fine looking Shelby, there is a ton of info on here and usually more than enough help when you need it.

So welcome and enjoy your new ride, She's a beast and has a ton of torque and power , so be careful with her until you get used to the clutch, brakes and general mannerisms. Leave your traction control on and break her in gently at least for the first 500 to 1000 miles, this will give all the rotating parts time to seat and wear themselves in. Please READ your owner manual and get familiar with all the vehicles functions. I can't express enough the shear power and torque this car has and it will get you in trouble if you don't respect it. The stock tires are traction limited in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear so be mindful of that, once the wx warms up past 60 you'll get better grip.

Q1- Mine stay on don't know if you can turn them off.

Q2- Sounds like you just need to fully charge your battery, easy enough with your trickle charger. The battery light goes off almost immediately after she fire up.

Q3- I owned a 2010 and had over 10K on it before i bought my 2014 and the suede holds up just fine. Gloves wouldn't hurt though, some of my Shelby friends wear them.

Q4- that wire is actually your windshield washer supply hose.

Again Welcome to the best forum on the internet and welcome to the Shelby family.

Regards

Greg

Congrats and welcome, OP! Great looking car!

+1 for Spectre's answers to your questions...

1- I don't know of any way to turn off the LEDs which essentially function as DRLs

2- The indicator on mine is, and always has been, GREEN. I recommend trickle charging with a quality charger. If the indicator remains orange, have your dealer replace the battery

3- I don't have any long-term experience with the suede (and would have preferred 100% leather). I always ensure my hands are clean and try to avoid prolonged contact with the suede surfaces

4- Sounds like the windshield washer supply hose

Hi Bill,

You will love driving it! Unfortunately the weather in most of the Northern USA is poor. I have seen a few brave souls driving their cars around: A few Mustang GTs (I used to be one of them), a Challenger R/T and even a Ferrari on New Year's Eve! I had the foolish idea that I could drive the GT500 around a bit during the winter because I purchased another set of wheels and tires.I could drive it with the alternate setup but the road crews have used so much road salt this year because of the exremely low temps and icy roads, that it isn't worth it. Not to mention the famous New England potholes!

I'm shooting for late February or early March. At least with the alternate setup, the tires will be useful in temps below 50 degrees. I will be in the market for the Michelin PSS tires as many have suggested when I get around to mounting them back on the car. That won't be until at least May.

Your backyard and driveway looks just like mine. Not a great amount of snow but right now the temp is 18 degrees at 12:50 PM. Golf and driving the GT500 are still on hold but we'll get there!

Welcome to the club!

Pete

The suede stuff is actually a synthetic material - Alancatara (sp?) - seems to be pretty stable and durable - a lot of manufacturers use it - I would not worry about it. Nice choice - used to live in MN now live in IL - actually get about two additional months of Shelby driving weather now.

Bill:

Congrats on a beautiful car. Believe me, I know from where you speak regarding the snow. I live in North Oaks (near White Bear Lake) and I haven't driven my car since mid-September and there seems to be no end in site to this winter. If you can, take advantage of as many car shows as you can this summer as the season is very short as you know.

Welcome aboard.

Kevin

What is the plastic Garage? Around the car?

Its called an Air-Chamber. Like the Car Capsule but you can drive in and out of it.

The guy who sells this has his own website and also sells them on ebay. I have a

bad condensation problem in my area and have been using some type of storage

system for my Mustangs since 93 when I got my first Cobra. Here is the link

http://www.airchamber-carcapsule.com/

Billross:

Congratulations on a getting a great car. Mine is a stripe delete also (I like the stealth approach).

The round indicator on the top of the battery in my 2012 has been orange since it was new. I put a full charge on it frequently with my CTEK charger and it is stays orange. All the orange means is that one of the cells may not be as strong as the others. The key is how many CCA the battery is putting out. I use my Midtronics PBT300 to check both the voltage and CCA on the battery and it is always at or near spec when fully charged. The dealer will use a tester with the same algorithms to warranty check the battery. They will not replace the battery just because the indicator is orange. Keep in mind that the CCA output will decline naturally as the battery ages.

Here are the links to the charger and tester that I use:

http://smartercharger.com/products/batterychargers/ctek-multi-us-7002/

http://www.amazon.com/Midtronics-PBT300-Battery-Charging-Starting/dp/B000K38UN6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363265621&sr=8-1&keywords=midtronics

Archived