TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Csx 7000 Fia 50Th Anniversary Cobra On Order

mikeljgt500kr

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tom gets them directly from Goodyear, which he said is just down the street at the Speedway in 'Vegas. I am getting them primarily for the look, they had radials on it, some cheap Cooper types, but I understand the way the FIA Cobra is set up, radials are not an advantage and the bias types work better for driving. But, I understand you don't keep them for more than 5-6 years on the car, since they are not as durable as radials. He showed me a dry-rotted set he was taking off a Cobra that had sat for 10 years, pretty ugly.

Thanks, the tires I want are the "GOODYEAR" billboard stencil tires that were on the FIA Cobras in '64.

Perfect!

One of the guys in our region has a Cobra and couldn't get the type of tires he wanted in "Goodyear Billboards". He ended up with a set of Avon's that he had stenciled with the Goodyear logo. Unless you look reeeally close, you would never notice the difference.

Z-man

I will start a thread for my saga of this. Having waited 10 months for my 2013 GT350, I approach it with a bit of trepidation, and know the problems with any SAI build these days. From all the stories, many of which are bad (some amazingly so), posted in this section, I know to expect problems. This is not like ordering a 2014 GT500, a new C7 'Vette, or even a new Viper, this is like hand to hand combat with the builders and vendors. But I am patient and approach it with the sober expectations that it may take 12-18 months to see anything in my driveway.

The facts as I know them today: Deposit down, DenBeste used as dealer, Shelby Engines used for drivetrain. A picture of my thoughts for an engine attached, the Shelby Engines 289 331 engine, with Webers, real ones. Still looking at options and trying to understand what they are. So stay tuned for a long process….

Badd ass engine! Need to paint it though too much Silver... the Webers are cool but a pain in the ass to keep in snyc

Badd ass engine! Need to paint it though too much Silver... the Webers are cool but a pain in the ass to keep in snyc

Thanks, it really sounds mean too, can't wait to get it out on the twisty mountain roads around here. I wanted the black valve covers to provide some contrast to that all aluminum engine bay, many people use the aluminum ones. I am becoming a Weber expert, taking many lessons on balance and tuning them, but I also have back-up locally with some Ferrari guys…..

• 2 weeks later...

Very very nice. Love the look of that engine with the webers. Tell you what, i was a bit surprised with the lumpy idle CSX8037 has with the aluminum 289 from Denbeste. That motor rocks, yours will be even better with the webers. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, the tires I want are the "GOODYEAR" billboard stencil tires that were on the FIA Cobras in '64.

Those will be my next purchase but I want to wear a little off of the Cooper Cobra tires first.

The Cobra tires aren't bad but they're only rated with a S speed rating. Not real good for running the Mojave Mile events! But they look good.

Did you find a decent source yet?

I found a couple via the Club Cobra site (see the sidebar there).

Phill

Did you find a decent source yet?

I found a couple via the Club Cobra site (see the sidebar there).

Phill

Tom is doing the searching for me, he was very confident they were making them again and he would get them down the street from his shop directly from Goodyear. Have not heard yet, but will check on progress overall.

• 2 weeks later...

Bad news on the tires. Seems the Goodyear billboards are too big and hit the frame. So, I will have to get something else. I have chosen Avons, don't know anything about them personally, have never had them, but some people say they are OK. They will not look as good as the Goodyears, but guess I have no choice at this point.

I haven't yet Al, Tom and Rich were just certain nothing Goodyear had would fit due to frame interference, so I am having them make sure I can get Avons that do. I suspect the prototype car SAI had at BJ last January was a CSX 7000 series, whereas the 50th FIA ones have different frame components (I have heard) that are supposed to be true to the original 5 FIA cars and designs. But, I will ask them after they have researched it a bit, they had no answer to that yesterday.

I am surprised the Billboards won't fit. Did they try it or are they just going on "someone said they won't so why bother"?

The advantage of the Avons is they are DOT approved tires whereas the Billboards are not.

I'm not sure why that matters. In 1966 they ran Billboards at 200+MPH...

The disadvantage to them is that the sidewalls are horrible. If you scuff one with anything change it...

Good luck!

Thanks, yes they did try them, a newly made set, but rubs the frame. Very strange, but I guess since they didn't design the car around fitting those tires, and they used Cooper Cobras during the build, they didn't know before. I am surprised I am the first FIA 50th owner that wanted the billboards though.

Tom has been working on these continuation Cobras since Shelby started making them in the mid-1990s. He probably knows more about them than anyone else. If Tom says the Goodyears will not fit, then they will not fit. I visited his shop a few weeks ago. One of the things we talked about was this tire fit problem on the newer FIA Cobras coming from South Africa. By the way, I looked at your Cobra, it looks great!

Perfect!

One of the guys in our region has a Cobra and couldn't get the type of tires he wanted in "Goodyear Billboards". He ended up with a set of Avon's that he had stenciled with the Goodyear logo. Unless you look reeeally close, you would never notice the difference.

Z-man

This makes even more sense now, given your fitment issues. Maybe you might consider the same solution.

As an fyi, I had Avons on a 1995 BMW M3 I used to have. I was very happy with them.

Z-man

So would an Aluminum car not have the fitment issue? I am assuming they come from a different source? Kirkham?

I would be curious to know if anyone has actually ordered a 50th FIA in aluminum. I understand those are also SAI cars, South Africa? Don't think Kirkham has any rights to a 50th FIA.

I would have a tough time justifying the cost of Aluminum.

I did not think Kirkham had any rights, but they do make an FIA and there have been collaborations between Kirkham and SAI in the past, so I thought maybe.......

Archived