TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Csx 7000 Fia 50Th Anniversary Cobra On Order

mikeljgt500kr

Yes, I think the Ford GT is the exception that proves the rule of new cars depreciating, due to the perfect storm of limited supply (getting smaller every month as many get wrecked by the kind of drivers that seem to want them) and increased demand. Hopefully the 2011-2014 Shelby GT350s will be there someday. The one that just sold for $90K at Mecum with a mid package of options sounds encouraging anyway.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Problem is, can any 4 speed handle 400 or so HP.

A 4 speed toploader can handle much bigger power. They do have iron cases tho.

Aren't Webers a serious PITA? There are the EFIs that have the Weber look. Turn the key and go.

BTW, I love the FIA Cobras, even more than the 427 cars, which I do very much love too.

I have heard of people that can blueprint and build a beefed up top loader. I will look into that. I am not impressed with them, given the one in my '68 KR, shifting is no pleasure and the clutch and pressure plate are not that good in a vintage one. I would be afraid to really unload my 428 CJ on it.

Yes, real Webers can be a PITA. But if set up correctly and run in, and if the owner knows how to maintain them, they are as workable as a tri-power or dual carb setup. The problem with the fake Weber FI unit is that a huge amount of wiring, command modules, harnesses, etc. need to be added. Pretty unsightly on what is supposed to be a vintage car. And the owner needs to be a computer programmer with equipment, or have access to one to maintain it. Not any mechanic can work on those systems either.

Thanks two, by the way, did you see the Heritage Edition GT sell at Mecum for $320K? What do you think?

As I mentioned before I was offered 300K last summer during the Good Guys car show. Other cars were going mid-200s, and Heritages do get a premium (but I never understood why such a delta for something that was only a 9K adder). In any case, they just keep going up.

A 4 speed toploader can handle much bigger power. They do have iron cases tho.

Aren't Webers a serious PITA? There are the EFIs that have the Weber look. Turn the key and go.

BTW, I love the FIA Cobras, even more than the 427 cars, which I do very much love too.

Those 8-stack EFI systems suffer from the same problem as webers. The mechanical linkages between the individual throttle bodies (coupled in pairs, two on a side with a linkage between the pairs, and then coupled with a bell crank between the sides. They need periodic adjustment to keep them consistent. Plus, the EFI systems have issues with the dynamics of the fuel delivery as the throttle body blades get more vertical. Mine was a Roush setup. There are others and I haven't heard long-term feedback on them yet.

I thought I remembered you had an initial problem with the software from day one that Roush finally resolved for you?

If I mixed up the story, please pardon my poor memory.

I thought I remembered you had an initial problem with the software from day one that Roush finally resolved for you?

If I mixed up the story, please pardon my poor memory.

Roush never got it resolved. I took it to a guy in Fort Collins that had been trained by Accel on the DFI system. The altitude compensation table had never been populated

I have heard bad things about the Roush unit. A friend of mine has a Hilborn EFI stack system on his 289 Mustang and likes it. But, it is still very touchy and needs attention frequently.

I think the issues are how well the either operate at high elevations, or if they can adapt to sudden changes in altitude.

Transmission advice:

I started out with the original Cobra BW T-10 4 speed and switched to the TKO500 and the car is much more fun to drive. Shifts better than a vintage transmission and the overdrive is great. If you put a toploader the shifter is in the wrong location for a SB Cobra and you would probably need to have a 427 style shifter. The TKO has multiple shifter locations so it can be placed where it belongs. The Cobra shifter that you can get with it is a little tall compared to original, but not uncomfortable. Just some advice from someone who has been driving my 8000 for almost 4 years.

If I had a 289 body I would INSIST on the proper looking short straight up shifter these cars came with. I don't like the 427 shifter (toploader shifter installed backwards) nearly as well. The T-10 shifter is so COOL and elegant. Didn't know you could put the TKO shifter in the same spot as the T-10. My buddy has a 427 ERA with a 6 speed. His shifter is straight and in the same location, but he needs a large spacer as it sits up really high. The spacer looks a bit silly, but it fills the gap. I wouldn't be able to live with that in my car (my opinion). Do you have a photo of your interior you can share? Your Slab Side is beautiful!

Well now, I have had T-10s in my Corvettes, and they are superior to the top loader, IMO. The shifter in the 50th they had at BJ was a straight up and down unit, with the small black knob, and I could have sworn it looked like the original 289 Cobra shifter. But, it had a very nice, short throw and non-notchy action to it. Much more like my Tremec in my ZR1. I really liked the feel of it. They told me it was a 5 speed Tremec.

post-39072-0-40386200-1390858253_thumb.png

The shifter in the car at BJ looked identical to the one in my car and I think they said it was a TKO500. Your description of how it felt is exactly how I would describe how my car shifts.

TKO500 vs TKO600 is basically the difference in max HP/torque. The 500 thus might be a tad lighter. The advantage of the 600 is that you have a choice of two different drive ratios for 5th gear with the 600. Details here: http://www.tremec.com/menu.php?m=103

• 2 weeks later...

I found my information in a book titled "Shelby Cobra - The Shelby American Original Archives 1962-1965". It contains many photos taken by Dave Friedman. I got it at least 20 years ago when I made my first donation to the Shelby Heart Fund. Mr. Shelby even personally signed the title page for me, as well as a few Heart Fund stickers (just like the one in my avatar.

In any case, I took a look at the book to see what other stripe colors I could find. For the 12 hours of Sebring (1964), it shows Phil Hill and Jo Schlesser driving the #14 car with a yellow stripe. Dan Gurney was in #11, with a white stripe (co-driver was Bob Johnson) . Ken Miles and John Morton drove car #1, with no stripe.

Z-man

I bought the book very nice, but mine is not signed by CS…. :cool:

I have decided to go with The Bondurant livery on mine, and use #12. My alma mater has special state license plates made, and I can get #12 too. It all fits well. Thanks again for the tip!

I bought the book very nice, but mine is not signed by CS…. :cool:

I have decided to go with The Bondurant livery on mine, and use #12. My alma mater has special state license plates made, and I can get #12 too. It all fits well. Thanks again for the tip!

Well, I'm a strange combination of thrilled for your purchase and choice of stripe color & number, while at the same time green with envy that you will be the owner of the EXACT car that I have dreamed about for years. If I was fortunate enough to be getting one, I would make it as authentic as possible, and paint it up with the same stripe color and number that you have chosen.

I was almost upset that Shelby American offered this car again, because I'm not in a place now to buy one myself, and I knew someone else would buy MY car. I'm glad that person is you, as you seem to already be enjoying it as much as I know I would.

Best of luck with the whole build process, and ultimately, the car itself. Maybe I'll meet you at a Shelby event in the future, and be able to see it in person.

Z-man

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Mike -

That looks fantastic! Did you go with the orange nose stripe, or red? I recall some discussion on the 'actual' color in the photos from the Sebring race.

Z-man

ps - I'm going to hold you to your offer to let me drive it if we ever meet :)

Archived