TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Convertible ....No Super Snake

Amy, Called about Super Snake package and was told that the convertible would not be able to handle extra HP...Is this the real story..Am very interested in getting it.

Also heard that there will only be 7000 2008 shelbys made,1000 KR and 6000 GT500. Was told that the agreement with Shelby and Ford was for 17000 units total.

Amy, Called about Super Snake package and was told that the convertible would not be able to handle extra HP...Is this the real story..Am very interested in getting it.

Also heard that there will only be 7000 2008 shelbys made,1000 KR and 6000 GT500. Was told that the agreement with Shelby and Ford was for 17000 units total.

Who told you this ?

Ford released they are building approx 8,000 GT500's for 2008.

They did not say if the 1,000 KR's will be out of that 8,000 or not.

So it could be 7,000 GT500's plus 1,000 KR's or it could be 8,000 GT500's plus 1,000 KR's.

But it will be more than 6,000.

Did you get this info. from AMY or second hand?

I was not told that when I spoke to John about three weeks ago.

I'd call BS on this one. My vert is already well beyond their 6xx hp version and pretty much right in line on HP with the 720 version and handles it just fine....infact the ride is better than many of the coupls regarding wheel hop issues etc.

They may not offer it for verts due to a suspension mod. or something not available (I undersatand but have not confirmed there are different rear swaybars???). As for handling it though I think the car will take it fine...mine will be handling much more and I know of verts with the KB already handling about 700 rwhp (not engine HP) with no issue.

I'd call BS on this one. My vert is already well beyond their 6xx hp version and pretty much right in line on HP with the 720 version and handles it just fine....infact the ride is better than many of the coupls regarding wheel hop issues etc.

They may not offer it for verts due to a suspension mod. or something not available (I undersatand but have not confirmed there are different rear swaybars???). As for handling it though I think the car will take it fine...mine will be handling much more and I know of verts with the KB already handling about 700 rwhp (not engine HP) with no issue.

24mm rear stabilizer bar on Coupe and 20mm on Convertible

Ford released they are building approx 8,000 GT500's for 2008.

They did not say if the 1,000 KR's will be out of that 8,000 or not.

So it could be 7,000 GT500's plus 1,000 KR's or it could be 8,000 GT500's plus 1,000 KR's.

But it will be more than 6,000.

do we know how many 2007's made it through the production line yet?

+1

Sounds like a smoke screen but to tell you the truth I am happy about it if that is the case. I have already invested in modding my car and was yearning a bit for the package, but I am already at 703RWHP and LOVE my car. I few more mods and I will hopefully be in the 10s.

All information came from Ford Dealer.They where told only 7000 2008 going be built and they are only going to receive 2 cars for 2008.For 2007 they sold 10.Also was first hand information on NO Converts going to go to SS.I hope all is wrong but i trust my information...

All information came from Ford Dealer.They where told only 7000 2008 going be built and they are only going to receive 2 cars for 2008.For 2007 they sold 10.Also was first hand information on NO Converts going to go to SS.I hope all is wrong but i trust my information...

FoMoCo is not involved in the manufacture of SS...It's Shelby American's call on that. Not every dealer is well informed on this front, and I have talked to more than a few who were sincere in their beliefs, but not well informed.

So- what I am saying is- I would not 'bet the farm' on this information, and wait for definitive word from SAI...

When I put my name on the list I was told they were doing convertibles as well as coupes.

I copied this off the "SHELBY GT500 SUPER SNAKE OFFICIAL RELEASE" post

QUOTE(McMullen20 @ Apr 27 2007, 02:06 PM)

Am I reading this right..."a limited number of 2007 and 2008 Ford Shelby GT500’s into fire breathing “Super Snake” coupes." ...the Super Snake is a coupe upgrade only? I hope there is more information to come. I bought an '07 vert and want more than the std 40th package. Where's that hairy eyeball character with the inside scoop?

I think thats a typo, we want to do convertibles, we are looking at the suspension change if any and adding the light bar as well.....so yes verts

Amy ....

I received an email from Bud on May 01 that I was on the list for the Super Snake. My car is an 07 GT 500 vert. (Black)

NICE! BTW, welcome to the forums, ratco!

It was my assumption that they were going to offer it in a 'vert. Thanks for chiming in!

Crispy

Yes it true, 725 H.P. convertibles are indeed a concern for SAI. I had this discussion with John and Bud last Tuesday when I was there picking the SGT SC up. The issue is specific. It's about SAI being able to install a "roll cage" without calling it a roll cage and not assuming liability responsibility for installing a roll cage without going through proper NITSA testing.

I proposed an idea to them that they may look into, but lord knows if it will fly because lawyers have to get involved in the final blessing. I proposed that SAI weld or rivet a plate onto the bar that states something like:

THIS CHASSIS STIFFING DEVICE IS NOT INTENDED FOR ROLL OVER PROTECTION. FORD MOTOR COMPANY AND SHELBY AUTOS INCORPORATED WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY INJURIES AND/OR DEATH DUE TO THE FAILURE OF THIS DEVICE IN THE EVENT OF A ROLL OVER. THIS DEVICE HAS ONLY BEEN INSTALLED TO IMPROVE THE OVERALL STRENGTH OF THE BODY DURING HARD ACCELERATION AND CORNERING DURING COMPETITION DRIVING ON A CLOSED COURSE.

I'm no Lawyer, but something with verbiage like that. I also proposed that the owners must also sign a notarized document that indemnifies Ford and SAI from any liability resulting from any future claims against them.

But that's the bottom line. We convertible owners MUST lobby/convince Amy and SAI that we will sign whatever legal document necessary to get the 725 H.P. option in our verts.

Yes it true, 725 H.P. convertibles are indeed a concern for SAI. I had this discussion with John and Bud last Tuesday when I was there picking the SGT SC up. The issue is specific. It's about SAI being able to install a "roll cage" without calling it a roll cage and not assuming liability responsibility for installing a roll cage without going through proper NITSA testing.

I proposed an idea to them that they may look into, but lord knows if it will fly because lawyers have to get involved in the final blessing. I proposed that SAI weld or rivet a plate onto the bar that states something like:

THIS CHASSIS STIFFING DEVICE IS NOT INTENDED FOR ROLL OVER PROTECTION. FORD MOTOR COMPANY AND SHELBY AUTOS INCORPORATED WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY INJURIES AND/OR DEATH DUE TO THE FAILURE OF THIS DEVICE IN THE EVENT OF A ROLL OVER. THIS DEVICE HAS ONLY BEEN INSTALLED TO IMPROVE THE OVERALL STRENGTH OF THE BODY DURING HARD ACCELERATION AND CORNERING DURING COMPETITION DRIVING ON A CLOSED COURSE.

I'm no Lawyer, but something with verbiage like that. I also proposed that the owners must also sign a notarized document that indemnifies Ford and SAI from any liability resulting from any future claims against them.

But that's the bottom line. We convertible owners MUST lobby/convince Amy and SAI that we will sign whatever legal document necessary to get the 725 H.P. option in our verts.

+1

In reality, if SAI installs the roll cage and someone was seriously hurt in a roll over that didn't sign the release, SAI could be held responsible, and at the very least would be involved in a suit. Why not build a suitable roll bar or cage that would be part of the vert SS package and go through testing for certification?

+1

+2 We need to get a 'vert done here...

In reality, if SAI installs the roll cage and someone was seriously hurt in a roll over that didn't sign the release, SAI could be held responsible, and at the very least would be involved in a suit. Why not build a suitable roll bar or cage that would be part of the vert SS package and go through testing for certification?

But if there is a plate on the light bar itself, I think it could fly.

Why not do a roll bar?

2 things, I think:

lengthy certification process, additional cost for a low production niche item.

While I would love one, I just do not think it's feasible to do in a quick, cost-effective way....

Edit: by the way, nice idea, Son of GT!!! You must want it as bad as I do! ;)

+2 We need to get a 'vert done here...

But if there is a plate on the light bar itself, I think it could fly.

Why not do a roll bar?

2 things, I think:

lengthy certification process, additional cost for a low production niche item.

While I would love one, I just do not think it's feasible to do in a quick, cost-effective way....

Edit: by the way, nice idea, Son of GT!!! You must want it as bad as I do! ;)

Yes, the Crisper is spot on. Amy and Bud said that NITSA wants no less than 12 GT500 verts rolled on top of any support device being called as such before they will certify it as being safe for the application. SAI can't afford to destroy 12 GT500's and that's anorther part of this issue. Yes Crisper, I definately want the 725 H.P. package and will work hard to get it on my vert.

I am hoping and praying that a release of liability notification plate and a notarized legal document will fly so we can get over this hurdle.

I do not think it is legal to ask someone to sign away their rights to pursue legal action, particularly when the potential damage to an individual cannot be quantified.

While I am no lawyer, I was told this by a lawyer representing me in another case.

I do not think it is legal to ask someone to sign away their rights to pursue legal action, particularly when the potential damage to an individual cannot be quantified.

While I am no lawyer, I was told this by a lawyer representing me in another case.

Actually, regular Mustang GTs have no roll bar at all.

I think that SAI needs customer acknowledgement that the light bar would not provide roll-over protection in the event of a crash, that it is just cosmetic (like the '68 & '69 Shelby 'Verts).

Couldn't SAI take the same approach as other light bar mfrs? I have never seen a disclaimer on their light bars for the 2005+ convertible Mustangs...

AND--I would not call it signing away rights, I would call it an acknowledgement that the light bar is cosmetic, and not structural.

In fact, couldn't they skate around the whole thing by calling it a light bar, not a rollover bar? Maybe calling it a "cosmetic light bar"???

Yes, I am reaching. Why not??? Sometimes you have to stretch to get to the things you want :)

Right on, Son of GT!!! We'll get there!!!

Additional thought--

In a worst-case scenario, couldn't they just prep the car for the light bar and ship the light bar with the car for post delivery customer installation?

This way, it's an aftermarket customer install...

I could do that, no prob! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Actually, regular Mustang GTs have no roll bar at all.

I think that SAI needs customer acknowledgement that the light bar would not provide roll-over protection in the event of a crash, that it is just cosmetic (like the '68 & '69 Shelby 'Verts).

Couldn't SAI take the same approach as other light bar mfrs? I have never seen a disclaimer on their light bars for the 2005+ convertible Mustangs...

AND--I would not call it signing away rights, I would call it an acknowledgement that the light bar is cosmetic, and not structural.

In fact, couldn't they skate around the whole thing by calling it a light bar, not a rollover bar? Maybe calling it a "cosmetic light bar"???

Yes, I am reaching. Why not??? Sometimes you have to stretch to get to the things you want :)

Right on, Son of GT!!! We'll get there!!!

Steeda offers rollbars for 2005+ Stangs. How can they offer them and get by the liability issue?

I don't know what they're worried about? CART cars are pretty much convertables and they are survivable in high speed crashes with that little BS roll bar they have. The 1966 Shelby Cobra Super Snake that sold for $5 million is a convertable with 800 horsepower for pete sake. On the other hand I am still glad I have a coupe.

Ford lost millions of dollars in Ford Bronco roll over cases. The issue here is all about liability.

You can sign anything you like, but the manufacturer is still liable if something fails...there are so many variables that could take place to have a cause of action. And you can't tell me that if you lost a family member to a roll over and there was any question as to liability that you wouldn't sue Ford, SAI and everyone else who touched that car...we live in a very litigious society unfortunately. Go with the 600 HP.

I don't know what they're worried about? CART cars are pretty much convertables and they are survivable in high speed crashes with that little BS roll bar they have. The 1966 Shelby Cobra Super Snake that sold for $5 million is a convertable with 800 horsepower for pete sake. On the other hand I am still glad I have a coupe.

This isn't 1966 and as I recall we didn't even have seat belt laws back then. Things they have ah :cry: changed!

Ford lost millions of dollars in Ford Bronco roll over cases. The issue here is all about liability.

You can sign anything you like, but the manufacturer is still liable if something fails...there are so many variables that could take place to have a cause of action. And you can't tell me that if you lost a family member to a roll over and there was any question as to liability that you wouldn't sue Ford, SAI and everyone else who touched that car...we live in a very litigious society unfortunately. Go with the 600 HP.

+1, then add a pully and tune at home, and still have a warranty when you need it.

Archived