TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Question for Five Oh B

sbornitz

Hey Five Oh since you are hanging around for facts and info:

How long did it take you to study and pass the shelby exam?

About how long did it take for your mechanic?

How many of each at your dealership are qualified?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,

The 2007 Shelby GT500 test and 2007 Mustang test must both be completed by at least one person in the sales department. Three of us have taken and passed them. Took me about 20-30 minutes to study, take, and pass them both. Took the other guys a bit longer, as they don't live and breathe Mustangs like I do. Also, I'm a college grad who never had to study much all throughout my schooling, so learning & testing comes easier for me than for most.

I haven't talked to our SVT Technician about his testing, but only one tech has to be certified. I'm assuming he's done as Ford has already pulled our first GT500 order and assigned a VIN # to it. Our guy has a 10-second Fox-Body Mustang and owned a 2003 SVT Cobra that he campaigned in the bracket racing series at our local drag strip (ran 12.10's @ 118 mph if I remember correctly) for two seasons, so he's quite the Mustang guru, as well.

The 2007 Shelby GT500 test and 2007 Mustang test must both be completed by at least one person in the sales department. Three of us have taken and passed them. Took me about 20-30 minutes to study, take, and pass them both. Took the other guys a bit longer, as they don't live and breathe Mustangs like I do. Also, I'm a college grad who never had to study much all throughout my schooling, so learning & testing comes easier for me than for most.

I haven't talked to our SVT Technician about his testing, but only one tech has to be certified. I'm assuming he's done as Ford has already pulled our first GT500 order and assigned a VIN # to it. Our guy has a 10-second Fox-Body Mustang and owned a 2003 SVT Cobra that he campaigned in the bracket racing series at our local drag strip (ran 12.10's @ 118 mph if I remember correctly) for two seasons, so he's quite the Mustang guru, as well.

Thanks for the input. Your knowledge is invaluable to us on the outside looking in. I am working with a small dealer and am getting his only car. He told me I need to pay his Shelby fee ($1,500.00) and he also wants me to pay for his employees to study and take the tests. He gave me an estimate of $1,300.00 for that. That seemed a little high to me (all around car guy and college grad). At $100/hour that gives them 13 hours to do this. So if I say two sales guys at an half hour a piece (for just the GT500) that gives two Mechanics 6 hours to each study and take the test for the GT500. This seems like more than enough. So I guess tomorrow when I go in to put down the deposit I will talk with the manager about his time estimates and see if he will go actual time for one sales person and one mechanic. Does this seem like enough time or should the Mechanics be in the 2 hour time frame?

Again thanks for the info :victory: .

Soon enough we will be :shift: and :car: .

Thanks for the input. Your knowledge is invaluable to us on the outside looking in. I am working with a small dealer and am getting his only car. He told me I need to pay his Shelby fee ($1,500.00) and he also wants me to pay for his employees to study and take the tests. He gave me an estimate of $1,300.00 for that. That seemed a little high to me (all around car guy and college grad). At $100/hour that gives them 13 hours to do this. So if I say two sales guys at an half hour a piece (for just the GT500) that gives two Mechanics 6 hours to each study and take the test for the GT500. This seems like more than enough. So I guess tomorrow when I go in to put down the deposit I will talk with the manager about his time estimates and see if he will go actual time for one sales person and one mechanic. Does this seem like enough time or should the Mechanics be in the 2 hour time frame?

Again thanks for the info :victory: .

Soon enough we will be :shift: and :car: .

Ford is only requiring one salesman and one tech to test/certify per dealership. The tests are online, the answers and study material are online (and very easy to access). 1 hour maximum per person. 1/2 hour if they are even remotely competent at their jobs.

Archived