TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby American Commemorates 50Th Anniversary Fia Cobra With Special Edition Car

CaitlinC

I hopped in the demo FIA car at Barrett Jackson this weekend and while I am 6'2" and 23X lbs, I found the FIA car no better and no worse to enter or extract myself from than my CSX4k car. The dash is noteably different than a CSX4k with less switches to memorize what the hell they match up to.

As of Sat at noon or 1 PM, the DenBeste representative I was speaking to indicated that 25 of the 50 FIA's had sold since the annoucement earlier than AM. I am presumming since the Shelby and DenBeste trucks and displays were adjacent to each other that information regarding sales was accurate.

I have tentatively committed to one of the cars but need to work out details on options and the most horrific part of the order process, the down payment.

I am pretty much where you are too. I understand many of those early sales were to their dealers who plan to have them in inventory to sell to real customers later. Like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shelby-CSX-7000-FIA-FIA-1964-shelby-cobra-csx-7000-289-50-th-anniversary-fia-comp-car-/281247501268?forcerrptr=true&hash=item417ba84bd4&item=281247501268&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Regarding the foot box and pedal room....The original AC cars had floor mounted pedals. I've found that original configurations like that (although the look really cool) are difficult to drive compared to other styles such as a hanging pedal with a dropped footbox. The later configuration allows you to rest your foot under the pedals and stretch your legs a bit when you are not shifting during longer highway trips. I have driven an original 289 Cobra and had to take my shoes completely off to manage the pedals (size 11.5 shoe). I sat in a friends Superformance and was easily able to stretch my legs with the dropped foot box and hung pedals.

I'm 6' 3" 195 lbs w/a 10 1/2 shoe size and drove my CSX 4825 with ease.

Agree with the post above that it was easier to drive bare footed.

It was equipped w/a CSX 427 block and 5 speed tremec.

For me, the bigger problem was the heat from the trans tunnel and getting in/out of the thing.

I'm assuming you are talking of a "put the key in and drive away" like you do with your GT500. There is no such thing as a "Turn Key" cobra. From anyone. Similarly all of the Superformance and Factory Five cars are sold without drive train (engine/transmission). The Superformance Cobras are also sold as rollers, as is the Superformance GT40 and the Superformance Gran Sport Corvette. The whole "roller plus engine" thing (after it is done) opens up a whole bunch of registration issues in almost every state, and it makes re-registering a car from one state into a different state somewhat problematic due to the different rules everywhere. It's a mess.

They are Rollers.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/21/shelby-50th-anniversary-fia-cobra-debuts-at-barrett-jackson/?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000588

Right, you know I have never done this kit car thing before. Makes you kinda nervous about spending 6 figures on some backyard speed shop guys who could be slapping things together with JC Whitney parts, etc. It would be nice to have some confidence you will actually get a drivable solid car for your six figures. I guess you have to take a leap of faith these people can actually put together a solid, reliable car you can enjoy like a factory built one.

The rollers are not built by some backyard speedshop guys. And they are not what is typically thought of as a kit car. They are very solid factory built cars. However, you have to choose your drivetrain installer carefully. The cars do require some tweaking during the drivetrain installation. You want to choose someone who has done this before. Ideally you'll want to see examples of their work. This is the part where you want to watch out for the backyard speedshop. I have seen some hacked installations.

The rollers are not built by some backyard speedshop guys. And they are not what is typically thought of as a kit car. They are very solid factory built cars. However, you have to choose your drivetrain installer carefully. The cars do require some tweaking during the drivetrain installation. You want to choose someone who has done this before. Ideally you'll want to see examples of their work. This is the part where you want to watch out for the backyard speedshop. I have seen some hacked installations.

So True! There have been many botched builds. If you're seriously thinking of one of these Cobras you need to go over to the cobra forum at www.clubcobra.com and read alot about the various installers and engine builders. There are a few that have really good reputations. Your dealer can also steer you to someone but can no longer be in the ownership chain of those who do it.

Just buy one! A 289 will be in my garage some day, maybe sooner rather than later. As much as I loved the concept of the 427 I always felt I was nursing it along not able to exercise it properly on the street. Recall that a fair number of the homologation Cobras had 260 engines in them!!!

My current CSX4000 was setup with a motor built by a dealer in Central California and the fellow from whom I first saw the car had the motor removed and a 498 CU Shelby block installed because the original motor as a POS.

I recently took my CSX4000 back to the dealer who did the second motor build/install and had him do a bunch of small tune-up and cosmetic motor items for which I am very pleased with the car and his work. In fact when I go through wih the purchase of this FIA car, i am struggling to determine if I use the dealer whom I am buying from to purchase/install a motor or I go to the speed shop who built my CSX4000 I trust. I want run a 289 with the Weber style down drafts but the modern versions.

One problem I have is that there are so many people in this game, it is hard to sort them out. I think the dealer I want, DenBeste, comes with good recommendations, knows how to do the whole enchilada and has done it before. But, I am not sure how to tell them to build the engine. I don't want a race car, I want a car like my other high performance classic street cars, like my '68 KR or '67 Corvette L71. Something I can drive, not race, dependable, reliable, and with systems I can take care of with my long knowledge of these older type of engines. Multi-carbs doesn't worry me, I have several of those, but exotic racing engines would worry me. I plan to ask them if that kind of description is enough for them to build me an engine. Hopefully it is, I am not able to tell them the exact cam grinds, compression ratios, etc. that I want.

One problem I have is that there are so many people in this game, it is hard to sort them out. I think the dealer I want, DenBeste, comes with good recommendations, knows how to do the whole enchilada and has done it before. But, I am not sure how to tell them to build the engine. I don't want a race car, I want a car like my other high performance classic street cars, like my '68 KR or '67 Corvette L71. Something I can drive, not race, dependable, reliable, and with systems I can take care of with my long knowledge of these older type of engines. Multi-carbs doesn't worry me, I have several of those, but exotic racing engines would worry me. I plan to ask them if that kind of description is enough for them to build me an engine. Hopefully it is, I am not able to tell them the exact cam grinds, compression ratios, etc. that I want.

If you deal with Denbeste, their guy Steve Parini will make sure to guide you down the best path, he's a solid guy and knows his stuff. Don't tell him I said that! ;)

Jer

Archived