TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Beating Old Horse Question

ltrclwn

New member and have read 100's of the topics on exhaust. I just recently acquired a '12 gt500.

I am ready to pull the trigger on axle back exhaust. I am torn between 3. Flowmaster outlaw, borla, and roush.

I dont want to be obnoxious with sounf but want a good deep growl to her. Wide open on the throttle not worried if they hear me 3 miles away. Lol. My huge concern is drone want a system that has minimal if any drone if that is even at all possible I do realize that some is unavoidable.

I think ive also listened to all the YouTube videos out there also. Just looking for real world experience from driving with the exhaust for a while.

Thank you for any help you can throw my way

I enjoy my Borla's a lot. I have the 'S' Types and drive freeways and city with no drone. I personally love the sound. The only time I ever experience drone is when I'm on the freeway and give it some gas at 1500-1800rpm's in 6th, but it goes away as soon as I'm past 1800 and the drone is completely bearable, to me at least. I do have an 07 so it isn't exactly the same and this is just my opinion.

every borla i've tried has a drone, particularly when you are driving like a normal person (following posted speed limits). and i have tried every model of borla on my 2007 gt500... even the "touring" mufflers. they ALL have it, some worse than others. for the first few weeks you'll be like "wow, these sound great", but eventually, you will notice the drone exactly when you DON'T want it.

ltrclwn,

As you can see below I am a fellow 2012 driver. I started with Flowmaster Outlaws and enjoyed them very much, though there was a bit of drone at highway cruising rpm. I am now running Borla ATAKs, and they are outstanding. No drone anywhere in the rpm band, and absolutely old school muscle car sound that is still livable at highway speed. When you get on it, though, it lets out the kind of sound our cars have been known for throughout their history.

Either option is an aggressive sound upgrade, but the Borla ATAK is just a more finished product.

Good luck with the decision.

Quinn

I've got the Flowmasters. They sound like the old American Thunder product Flowmaster had for the fox body cars. That was the sound I was after and I love it. I had the rare occasion of hearing my car go down the road while my mechanic was testing the new brakes we installed recently and it just sounded amazing. But that is MY opinion. Borla makes a good product and many like those as well. You can most likely find some sound clips on UTUBE for all different axle back systems. I think it is a little harsh to say one is the best over another when every person has their own opinion of what sounds good.

Thank you for the input. It does help even tho its true everyone has their own opinions to what sounds appealing. I am going to look into the ford racing ones now. My mustang club is having a meeting sunday and hoping the shelby owners come out so I can hear them so I can purchase a set this upcoming week.

2007tungstenGT500, on 17 Jan 2014 - 12:29 PM, said:snapback.png

i have first hand knowledge/experience with the sound of each of those you cited above. forget them. go buy Ford Racing m-5230-sa and never look back.

The Ford Racing system is great. I also like the Corsa axle back system.

i have first hand knowledge/experience with the sound of each of those you cited above. forget them. go buy Ford Racing m-5230-sa and never look back.

I listened to those on youtube. Very impressed. The only thing I am finding is fitment for 2010 gt nothing higher in year range or gt500 specific. Gonna have to make some phone calls now. Thanks for that advice :)

Archived