TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Front plate idea!!!!

I realize that this would not be legal but I think it would work for the most part while driving around as the officer would not tell the difference.

Why doesnt a good decal/sticker company produce vinyl decals that are an exact match in color and dimensions to a real front plate (for your particular state with your proper numbers) that you could just slap on the nose of your GT500?????????????????????

Im sure I am not the first person to think of this but why hasnt the state gov. switched to this anyway?? It really makes no sense at all, none.

Am I on to something or just dreaming or could someone just make me one because Im willing to risk it driving with one rather than none at all

Ahhh come on guys, I was expecting to hear more from you all about this!

I for one do not want to punch holes in the front of my GT500 but my state requires it so I think this is a great solution.

Now the counterfitting issue could be something that I do not want to test but I am willing to try it if the worst thing that could happen is they notice it and tell you to get a real one.

But honestly, what is the purpose of having a metal plate when a decal could be made in many cases cheaper and more durable, anotherwords an accident would not even harm it most likely!

ps-Yes just like that sweedish plate!!!!

Ahhh come on guys, I was expecting to hear more from you all about this!

I for one do not want to punch holes in the front of my GT500 but my state requires it so I think this is a great solution.

Now the counterfitting issue could be something that I do not want to test but I am willing to try it if the worst thing that could happen is they notice it and tell you to get a real one.

But honestly, what is the purpose of having a metal plate when a decal could be made in many cases cheaper and more durable, anotherwords an accident would not even harm it most likely!

ps-Yes just like that sweedish plate!!!!

I've said it before, and will say it again. You have to display the license plate on the front of your vehicle. That can mean anywhere on the front. Just wedge the license plate on the bottom right hand of your windscreen, on the inside. Put a couple rubber pads on the front and back corners of it to prevent it from rattling against the glass and you are good to go.

Texas is notorious for enforcing this IDIOTIC law. (there is zero reason you should need a front license plate) Doing the thing I have said above, I have not gotten pulled over since. Also this solution was suggested to me BY a cop when I was pulled over for not having a front license plate.

Keep your bumpers clean, there is zero reason to put stickers, holes, or any kind of goofy mounting bracket when the letter of the law allows such an easy solution. (felt pads work just as well as rubber)

I've said it before, and will say it again. You have to display the license plate on the front of your vehicle. That can mean anywhere on the front. Just wedge the license plate on the bottom right hand of your windscreen, on the inside. Put a couple rubber pads on the front and back corners of it to prevent it from rattling against the glass and you are good to go.

Texas is notorious for enforcing this IDIOTIC law. (there is zero reason you should need a front license plate) Doing the thing I have said above, I have not gotten pulled over since. Also this solution was suggested to me BY a cop when I was pulled over for not having a front license plate.

Keep your bumpers clean, there is zero reason to put stickers, holes, or any kind of goofy mounting bracket when the letter of the law allows such an easy solution. (felt pads work just as well as rubber)

Hey, ya I have thought of that, but don't you think it looks sorta goofy with a plate on the inside of your windsheild?

Dgussin-If you put double sided tape all over the front of your car, wouldnt that be a major pain to get all that goo and excess sticky crap off? Please elaborate

Thanks!

You know the 3M tape they use for the side emblems, it's very strong. Why no just use a bunch of that? Seems simple enough. Strategically locate it where the plate meets the bumper, Why wouldn't that work?That would not leave a mark, other than the normal fading from the sun?

REAL CHEAP ALSO............. Just an opinion.

Keep your bumpers clean, there is zero reason to put stickers, holes, or any kind of goofy mounting bracket when the letter of the law allows such an easy solution.

I'm not sure this is necessarily true in all states. Some may not allow dash display. Colorado law is a little vague. It seems dash display conforms to the rules, but I think it could be interpreted differently by a police officer...particularly the angular visibility part.

C.R.S 42-3-202

2a. Every number plate shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle to which it is assigned, so as to prevent the plate from swinging, and shall be horizontal at a height not less than twelve inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of such plate, in a place and position to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible.

2b. A person shall not operate a motor vehicle with an affixed device or a substance that causes all or a portion of a license plate to be unreadable by a system used to automatically identify a motor vehicle. Such a device includes, without limitation, a cover that distorts angular visibility; alters the color of the plate; or is smoked, tinted, scratched, or dirty so as to impair the legibility of the license plate.

There are now quite a few U.S. States and Canadian Provinces that have done away with front plates as a cost cutting measure. Here in B.C. it appears unlikely the requirement for front plates will disappear because of the new plate scanning equipment being installed on police cars. On a moving patrol car, it can scan up to 500 plates per hour from the front or rear, moving or parked. The data is directly fed to police computers and they get back almost instant info on suspect plates. The police in Vancouver B.C. are now installing this equipment and so are departments in major cities in the U.S.

As for the vinyl option, I was told by our plate authority some months ago it would never happen, because 1) they don't conform to vehicle manufacturers plate bracket design 2) they are too easy to make/duplicate, and 3) they literally are too easy to rip off.

My GT500 will not be a daily driver, so I'm going to take my chances on going without a front plate.

JR

There are now quite a few U.S. States and Canadian Provinces that have done away with front plates as a cost cutting measure. Here in B.C. it appears unlikely the requirement for front plates will disappear because of the new plate scanning equipment being installed on police cars. On a moving patrol car, it can scan up to 500 plates per hour from the front or rear, moving or parked. The data is directly fed to police computers and they get back almost instant info on suspect plates. The police in Vancouver B.C. are now installing this equipment and so are departments in major cities in the U.S.

As for the vinyl option, I was told by our plate authority some months ago it would never happen, because 1) they don't conform to vehicle manufacturers plate bracket design 2) they are too easy to make/duplicate, and 3) they literally are too easy to rip off.

My GT500 will not be a daily driver, so I'm going to take my chances on going without a front plate.

JR

Yes sir........me too.........and several other Shelby owners I'm aware of in Ontario. In fact, my dealer refused to install the plate bracket on their entire alotment of 15 cars!! Stupid law in Ontario!!!

The 3m idea seems like it would work but how easy is the crap it would leave behind to get off? The nose of the shelby is not flat like most cars and this may pose a problem but I do not have my gt500 yet so I can not be to sure, I guess I will have to wait and see, but drilling holes will be a no go for me!

Hey, ya I have thought of that, but don't you think it looks sorta goofy with a plate on the inside of your windsheild?

Dgussin-If you put double sided tape all over the front of your car, wouldnt that be a major pain to get all that goo and excess sticky crap off? Please elaborate

Thanks!

Looks a lot worse to have a plate on your front bumper imo. Also if you do it right, with the rubber stoppers etc. you don't even really notice it. Much less of a detractor than a full plate on your nose.

I'm not sure this is necessarily true in all states. Some may not allow dash display. Colorado law is a little vague. It seems dash display conforms to the rules, but I think it could be interpreted differently by a police officer...particularly the angular visibility part.

C.R.S 42-3-202

2a. Every number plate shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle to which it is assigned, so as to prevent the plate from swinging, and shall be horizontal at a height not less than twelve inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of such plate, in a place and position to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible.

2b. A person shall not operate a motor vehicle with an affixed device or a substance that causes all or a portion of a license plate to be unreadable by a system used to automatically identify a motor vehicle. Such a device includes, without limitation, a cover that distorts angular visibility; alters the color of the plate; or is smoked, tinted, scratched, or dirty so as to impair the legibility of the license plate.

That cop would have to be some sort of super dick to start splitting hairs with you. Especially once you explain that the car is limited production, etc.. You are trying to adhere to the law but you shouldn't be forced to damage your vehicle to do so. Also you are really talking TINY odds that you will not only get pulled over, but also pulled over by someone that nitpicky.

Since I started doing it my way, I haven't had trouble for three years plus.

Yes sir........me too.........and several other Shelby owners I'm aware of in Ontario. In fact, my dealer refused to install the plate bracket on their entire alotment of 15 cars!! Stupid law in Ontario!!!

Mine was accidentally put on my car before I got there.

Last week I went through a spot check along with alot of other cars. They were checking for damaged, unreadable or stolen plates. The guy behind me got a $110.00 ticket for no front plate. A bunch got fined for not being able to clearly read the plate, paint worn off etc. I had mine on so I got no ticket. :banana piano: They said had I not had a front plate I would be fined. NO EXCEPTIONS. This is twice now I have gotten pulled over and not fined for the plate. The second time I was exceeding the speed limit a little but they let me go. If I did not have the front plate on I was told I would have gotten both tickets. They let me go with a "Slow it down a little speech". :happy feet: I am glad it is on even though the look sucks. Saved me three tickets so far.

There's at least 2 no drill systems out there that I know of if that's what you're trying to avoid. One bolts to existing holes in the lower grill assembley and the other secures the plate bracket through the lower grill itself. Both systems look great and solve the problem. New York requires front plates but I sure wasn't going to drill and my delaership let me leave without the plate. No matter how you do it if you drive in a state that requires a front plate it's going to be U-G-L-Y.

I am not running with the front plate, in NY. I have passed many cops and have not been bothered yet. I talked with some other owners of higher end cars(mostly european sports cars) and they all said they didn't have a front plate and had never been bothered. I will take my chances without, until I get bothered.

+1

There's at least 2 no drill systems out there that I know of if that's what you're trying to avoid. One bolts to existing holes in the lower grill assembley and the other secures the plate bracket through the lower grill itself. Both systems look great and solve the problem. New York requires front plates but I sure wasn't going to drill and my delaership let me leave without the plate. No matter how you do it if you drive in a state that requires a front plate it's going to be U-G-L-Y.

\

Maybe this is one you're talking about. No drilling uses existing holes, all stainless steel.

http://www.imagewoof.com/view_image/400071...shelbyfront.JPG

Archived