TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Stupid Question Big Block Or Small Block

Geneo4116

Good question to ask... Classifying either a small-block or a big-block has nothing to do with displacement, but the distance between the middle of each bore.

Small blocks therefore are smaller and can generate more heat, which could be a bad thing

Large blocks are larger with bigger distances between the bore and therefore could run cooler. More room in a big block to have a longer stroke and bigger bore. Also they are usually heavier.

Small blocks are now made of a great mixture of metals and can withstand more heat.

The 5.8 engine is a 5808 cc, 354 CID DOHC 4-valve Modular V8.

a13ShelbyGT500_10mm.jpg

the terms big block and small block are kind of obsolete now, especially being that ford only produces one type of v8 block/engine currently. the engine is refered to as being in the modular engine family.

yes, all ford v8 and v10 engines are of the modular family, all sharing a number of design features

google modular ford engines and you will find some good reading on the interchangability of many their parts

• 3 weeks later...

So what ur telling me I think???? Is that there ain't no big block are small block anymore,it's just called a modular motor, my brother just bought a raptor,with the 6.2 engine,is that a modular engine also?

Yes, Raptor is also modular.

When the big blocks disappeared the term small block disappeared. The last big blocks were 460s in trucks through the 90s sometime. I know it was offered in 94 because I considered one in a new truck.

Tom

Where did Ford squeeze the extra .4 from a 2012 5.4 to a 2013 5.8?

Even though they look pretty identical, there were MANY changes internally to the 2013-14 from the previous 5.4. However, the increase to 5.8 was due to an increased bore and piston size.

3.552 bore with 4.165 stroke for the 5.4

3.68 bore with 4.165 stroke for the 5.8

So in theory......Bore out my engine and I will be the same size lol. Thanks. I would like to try a Compound boost application on mine. Once I hit the lottery that is lmao.

So the downside to the bored 5.8 is that the cylinder walls are thinner. When Dodge did this with the 5.7 Hemi to get the 6.1, the general concensus was that if you want to put a BIG blower on it, use the 5.7. I don't know what the folks like Kenne Bell and Whipple are recommending with the 5.4 vs 5.8...

Ford uses a spray bore in order to keep the 100 mm bore spacing and avoid a bore sleeve.

5.0 Magazine on the Trinity engine:

Ford's approach, first used in the 2011 GT500 block, differs in that it is a post-casting, dry application of molten iron, resulting in a thin, durable, lightweight, oil-holding metal lattice joined to the aluminum bore's surface. The process is called Plasma Transfer Wire Arc, and was developed jointly by Ford and Flame-Spray Industries in Long Island, New York. Besides the GT500 blocks, it's used in gas turbines and Caterpillar remanufacturers its diesel cylinders with it, so it's tough stuff. Ford says the iron liners removed from the 2011 GT500 block weighed 7 or 8.5 pounds (depending on who you ask), and the PTWA coating is only 150 microns (0.006-inch) thick, so little weight is replaced.

Read more: http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_1203_2013_ford_shelby_gt500_trinity_5_8l_v8/spray_bore_liners.html#ixzz2sWAxmft3

A least a couple guys over on svtperf have sleeved their 5.8 blocks so it can be done after market if so desired.

Was the un-sleeved bore increased or was the displacement reduced when the 5.8L was sleeved?

Was the reason for the sleeving mentioned? Was the stock block used?

Archived