TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Michelin Pilot A/s 3S In Front & Mpss Rear - Safe?

yell03

OK, I've got my rim situation figured out, but now there is another dilemma.

I gave my son my stock 19x9.5" rims with the stock GY F1s.

Unfortunately the fronts are beat and the rears will soon follow.

I currently have Michelin A/S 3s on my 19" rims, also stock sizes (255/40/19 front & 285/35/19 rear).

What I want to do is order 2 more 255/40/19 Michlin A/S 3s and give my son my rear 285/35/19s in the spring. For now he will have the Michelins in front and the GYs out back,
He will take his caricon1.png to college and I want him to have cold weather traction and bad weather capability in case he gets caught on the way home to visit.

I will still have my Michelin A/S 3s on the front of my car, but for the spring, summer, and fall I would like to put MPSS 295/35/19s in back.

Will this be OK.

I used to run DRs out back with regular radials out front and that was OK, so I can't see this being worse.

Then next winter I will buy 2 more A/S 3s for the rear of my car and both carsicon1.png will be safe daily drivers.

Thoughts???

GT500washedampsunnypics113_zpsd6277c19.j

Running DR's in back is an entirely different proposition that's fairly use-specific. I can't imagine how well (or poorly) either car will drive or handle, but the real issue will be what happens if temperatures drop and how each car drives with a set of hockey pucks on different ends.

Presuming there's no snow, I can't imagine it being particularly dangerous. But predicting how either car will handle during any type of driving that makes their over/understeer balance relevant would be damned difficult to predict.

Running DR's in back is an entirely different proposition that's fairly use-specific. I can't imagine how well (or poorly) either car will drive or handle, but the real issue will be what happens if temperatures drop and how each car drives with a set of hockey pucks on different ends.

Presuming there's no snow, I can't imagine it being particularly dangerous. But predicting how either car will handle during any type of driving that makes their over/understeer balance relevant would be damned difficult to predict.

I know with MPSS out back and A/S 3s in front, in warm weather my car will understeer.

I took my son's car out yesterday with the 285/35/19 GYs out back in 42 degree temps, it actually hooked better than it did with his 235/50/18 Pirelli All-seasons, but I warned him under 40 degrees that changes dramatically.

This will only be temporary, in the spring he will get my rear A/S 3s to match the fronts and i will go with MPSS out back, I can live with understeer.

After some research I found it is not safe to run Brand new front tires with used rear tires, the tire place wouldn't even mount them.

Local to me I found two used Goodyear F1 supercars with the same tread depth as the rears, this will hold him until next winter or until the spring if I get 4 new Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

Archived