TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Flatter Than A Stomped On Grape!

thewheelman

Been gone 16 days from home, reminded my son to start GT 500 at least a couple of time while gone because I let it sit a couple of weeks a few weeks ago and had to jump start it. It's on it's second battery since 8/2008 and I really expected this one to last longer. Got home last night and put the charger on it and went to bed. Tried it this morning and it's DEAD, like so dead the interior lights and dinger won't even work. I tried the charger again on a quick charge and about an hour later got lights and dinger, but no radio, then it started making a really strange sound--from what seemed to be in the rear of the car--a kind of clicking & humming sound, not unlike the clickclickclick it makes when you turn the key and there's not enough juice to turn it over. Anyway, after a few seconds of this weird noise, the charger kicks off, like it's been surged or something. I'm really freaked out now, so I disconnect the battery from the car and put the charger back on--for a slow overnight charge.

I've never heard this kind of noise from a car before and wondering if a battery that is this dead would cause it? Also, never had a battery charger to kick off like that before. If it's not charged in the morning, the battery comes off and goes to the dealer.......

Any thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks in advance!

BTW one of my "projects" with my son while on vacation was to replace the battery in his 06 GT.........

I'm thinking the humming sound was the fuel sending unit. Your battery probably has a dead cell or something which might kick off the charger. Go pick up an optima battery. My original battery just poo poo'ed and I had similar experience.

I keep battery maintainers on everything I have if it's not going to be driven daily. As you know these newer vehicles pull juice all the time so the maintainer just keeps the battery at full charge all the time then goes to "float mode" once there. If your second battery still has warranty on it I would replace it and get a good maintainer for it. Let us know what you find out.

I charged it from about noon Saturday to about 3:00 Sunday afternoon--disconnected from the car. The charger never showed the battery with a full charge, but it fired up and after a little fiddling, got the windows to operate correctly, the cd changer finally settled down and it drove fine. Going to have the battery checked--and alternator today!

Thanks all!

Keep an eye on that cd changer, have heard of several complaints about them running/cycling after the car has been shut off, and running down the battery.

Never had an issue myself, and my car frequently sits for 2 to 3 weeks or more without running, if the weather doesn't work out for car events.

Seems like 5 years is about the trouble free limit on many lead acid batteries, although I have had a Delco one last 11 years.

Also, if you have not already, make it part of your standard routine to power off the stereo before you shut it down when you are going to be parking it for a while. There are quite a few things on these cars which pull small amounts of juice when the key is off, but when your battery begins to go low and if it falls below 12v, the stereo does all kinds of strange things which really pull on the battery.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I can't keep my battery charged as well. Has been siting in a cold garage waiting for spring-or at least a semi warm day here. Just keeps snowing and sub freezing temps...

Bought a battery tender and connected it, still dead..

Guess its in hibernation mode :sandman:

When ever I leave my car more than 3 days I always disconnect the neg connection.. When I return all fires up.. 6yrs of winter storage (4mths/yr) and still on original... I guess my time is running out.. SECONDO .. What battery did you buy for replacement??

Some very useful information from everyone.. I found a good battery charger with a built in computer that will keep a battery charged and will optimize it while sitting there...

Have one for my 07 and its working great. Disconnecting the battery would work as well I think.. But the battery tenders can be hooked directly to the battery (like mine) and I have a small plug in my lower grille that I plug the battery tender into... Makes it easy to hook up and as long as I remember to unplug I should be all set. Even with an older battery it is well above 12 volts still.

As for temperatures, it's well below zero here and the wind chill is near 30 below. Too cold for my convertible... Too cold for me actually... Get out my Jeep for now..

Not sure why but when your battery goes completely dead and you try to charge it in the car the circuit gets bypassed which causes all the clicking. If its completely dead you can't recharge it without removing it from the car. Once removed and charged, or replaced with a new one all is normal.

But the battery tenders can be hooked directly to the battery (like mine) and I have a small plug in my lower grille that I plug the battery tender into... Makes it easy to hook up and as long as I remember to unplug I should be all set.

Rattlesnake,

I had thought about this but couldn't find an appropriate weatherproof plug/socket. What are you using?

Steve

Archived