TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Pulley And Tune Done, Question About 2008+ Crank Pulley

UKGT500

At last I just installed a Stage 2 tune from Brenspeed today. I was amazed it took me all day mainly due to the stock pulley absolutely refusing to budge even with a long breaker bar and a well lubricated VMP puller. I heated the pulley with a blowtorch and that did the trick (carefully heated I might add, didn't even take the factory black paint off the pulley)...

Anyway I have added: Metco 2.6" pulley and idler, JLT 123mm cold air intake, NGK TR6 plugs and a 91 Octane tune.

I actually have a 2008+ later (lighter) crank pulley in its' box but haven't fitted it yet due to it being almost impossible to find the tools to install it with (m12 x 1.5 thread seems to almost not exist over here).

Anyway I have ordered what I need to hopefully install the new pulley but my question is: can I stand on the gas before I put the new pulley on or is the 2007 pulley really a weak point?

I'm not going drag racing anytime soon. Just want to see what it goes like on a dry open road (if we ever get one that is!)

Just wondering how likely the 2007 one is to fail...?

Thanks! Malc

Thanks I have the correct size and pitch threaded rod on the way for installation now but it took some finding.

In the old days I would have used a hammer and block of wood to put the new one on but I am older and more patient now.

Plus my Shelby deserves better...

Hope that is a high grade threaded rod.

The average threaded rod in the trades industry is pretty soft and will not be up to that task.

The last thing you want is having those threads let go and end up stuck in the crank.

Normally you would use a longer grade 8 bolt or better for something like that.

It's zinc plated steel and costs about $6. I was going to bottom it out in the crank threads then use a nut and bearing to pull the pulley onto the crank. I have a new Ford bolt for final installation.

I better ask the seller if it's high tensile....

• 8 months later...

It's zinc plated steel and costs about $6. I was going to bottom it out in the crank threads then use a nut and bearing to pull the pulley onto the crank. I have a new Ford bolt for final installation.

I better ask the seller if it's high tensile....

I know this is an old thread but VMP sells the proper bolts. That is where I got mine when I changed my damper.

Archived