TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Another 40Th For Sale (Detroit)

Can't make out the CSM# https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/4255268295.html

Can anyone tell me what that is holding the passenger door?

The ad says its #171. The seller also mentions several times that this 40th has a Super Snake package/conversion, that is incorrect. Mod shop "packages" can not be double stacked, meaning its one or the other. This car is a 40th Anniversary model.

I'm not sure what the correct name is for those door prop rods but I've seen them at car shows. I'm guessing the owner added the Cobra emblem.

Steve

i've seen more than one ad like this advertising a combination of packages. maybe they are not legit in that sense, but the 40th package did not come with a TVS supercharger upgrade as shown in the photos for this car. would that have been an option? or added aftermarket? would that be noted in the registry?

i've seen more than one ad like this advertising a combination of packages. maybe they are not legit in that sense, but the 40th package did not come with a TVS supercharger upgrade as shown in the photos for this car. would that have been an option? or added aftermarket? would that be noted in the registry?

Yes the 40th Anniversary buyers had a horsepower upgrade option but to call a 40th Anniversary model a Super Snake would be incorrect. There are no 40th Anniversary cars with a Super Snake package just like there are no Super Snakes with a 40th Anniversary package. Separate car models with distinct separate CSM numbers.

There can only be one CSM number per car. Just like a KR owner can not send their car to have a Super Snake package added to it,

Steve

Yup, many of the things that were added to an SS could be added to a 40th. Some were just part of the basic SS package and some were extra money options on an SS. I had the TVS, 3.73 gears, interior, cooling, shifter and brakes added to my 40th during the build at SAI.

Yes the 40th Anniversary buyers had a horsepower upgrade option but to call a 40th Anniversary model a Super Snake would be incorrect. There are no 40th Anniversary cars with a Super Snake package just like there are no Super Snakes with a 40th Anniversary package. Separate car models with distinct separate CSM numbers.

There can only be one CSM number per car. Just like a KR owner can not send their car to have a Super Snake package added to it,

Steve

motor_close1.jpg

Steve. I know there is at least one 40th with SuperSnake upgrades. This SuperSnake Kenne Bell sits on top of a 40th Anniversary, it also has the badged SuperSnake pulley. It is the First SuperSnake KB725 to be built for a customer (it's on a 40th, not a SuperSnake). There were no customer SS built before this one according to the emails that I have. This 40th was built and on the street with all SuperSnake upgrades, except hood and wheels, before the first SuperSnake rolled off the production line. (not the prototypes) Check the dates. Later models 40th's have power upgrades, this is a "SuperSnake" upgrade. I think there may be a half dozen or so of these "SuperSnake" 40th's. I know Ken Boone had #2 off the line. How does that saying go, "If it looks like a SuperSnake, crawls like a SuperSnake, and hisses like a SuperSnake, it must be a "40th" :) Now I'll go back to the attic.

There are several here who have 40th anniversary editions that also have the Super Snake upgrades. Don O'brien comes to mind as well as there is a vista blue vert with the same.

Pulley.jpg

And this would be the SS pulley upgrade on the 40th.

motor_close1.jpg

Steve. I know there is at least one 40th with SuperSnake upgrades. This SuperSnake Kenne Bell sits on top of a 40th Anniversary, it also has the badged SuperSnake pulley. It is the First SuperSnake KB725 to be built for a customer (it's on a 40th, not a SuperSnake). There were no customer SS built before this one according to the emails that I have. This 40th was built and on the street with all SuperSnake upgrades, except hood and wheels, before the first SuperSnake rolled off the production line. (not the prototypes) Check the dates. Later models 40th's have power upgrades, this is a "SuperSnake" upgrade. I think there may be a half dozen or so of these "SuperSnake" 40th's. I know Ken Boone had #2 off the line. How does that saying go, "If it looks like a SuperSnake, crawls like a SuperSnake, and hisses like a SuperSnake, it must be a "40th" :) Now I'll go back to the attic.

Looks pretty snakey to me. The car for sale doesn’t seem to have any of that cool SS stuff.

Yes it is understood that some of the 40th Anniversary cars, with a horsepower increase option, used identical parts as the Super Snake but that option does not make the car a Super Snake model. The car will always remain a 40th Anniversary model that has an optional horsepower upgrade. Only one CSM number per car, its either / or, not both.

Steve

Good catch and the seller adds more confusion. Not sure where he came up with this, from his ebay ad:

At the time, the only color choice for a Supersnake was black. The preferred color for us was Vista Blue, so the car was badged as a 40th Anniversary Limited Edition, and the Supersnake conversion was done at Shelby American Autos, Las Vegas, Nevada straight out of the factory.

Its an awesome car and appears to have been enjoyed by the owner.

Steve

I just checked the build records and this 40th Anniversary car is a 605hp version. Out of the 312 cars, 83 were built with 605hp.

So the sellers ebay description saying that the car was built with 735hp and that there were 37 of them is incorrect.

The seller is correct that there were only 9 Vista Blue 40th Anniversary coupes with the 605hp option.

Steve

Yes it is understood that some of the 40th Anniversary cars, with a horsepower increase option, used identical parts as the Super Snake but that option does not make the car a Super Snake model. The car will always remain a 40th Anniversary model that has an optional horsepower upgrade. Only one CSM number per car, its either / or, not both.

Steve

Agreed. This is a 40th with Supersnake performance upgrades versus later models that had Shelby performance upgrades. It is not double badged. The performance upgrades on a few 40th's are Supersnake upgrades including the badged parts that were purchased from and installed by Shelby as part on the 40th build. Shelby recognized that this was problematic for the Supersnake brand and changed the branding. But, there are some 40th anniversaries that had factory authorized Supersnake performance upgrades. Shelby could have prevented this, but screwed up. This is sort of like the 40th that was actually a 2008 model. Mistakes are made. Coins are mis-struck at the mint, that's what separates them from the rest of the coins and makes them more rare. If Shelby had it to do all over again, they would have installed a plain Jane KB 2.8. It is what it is.

Here is another 40th on Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang-GT500-2007-ford-shelby-mustang-gt-500-40-th-anniversary-/261373053550?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3cdb0c4a6e&item=261373053550&pt=US_Cars_Trucks You can sure tell he hasn't been on the TS 40th forum. He somehow thinks there were 500 made. I find it interesting that after 6 years someone who has a very low production model CSM # Shelby doesn't know how rare his car is.

Good catch and the seller adds more confusion. Not sure where he came up with this, from his ebay ad:

At the time, the only color choice for a Supersnake was black. The preferred color for us was Vista Blue, so the car was badged as a 40th Anniversary Limited Edition, and the Supersnake conversion was done at Shelby American Autos, Las Vegas, Nevada straight out of the factory.

Its an awesome car and appears to have been enjoyed by the owner.

Steve

Steve, it appears to me that he may be referring to the stripe color (black ) and then kinda lost his place as to what he was saying.

As others have suggested, I'd say he's claiming the "Super Snake" scripted KB (among other options) as the "Super Snake package".

I've always seen it depicted as the "40th Anniversary package with Super Snake upgrades" but never as a "40th Anniversary/Super Snake".

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting pictures, they tell the complete story. The blower is the Ford Racing Whipple, therefore 605 HP. Also the car had a brake upgrade, 6 piston front and 4 piston rear which was about a $5000 option. So the car had the $12,650 40th package, a $6600 Ford Racing blower and then the brakes at approx $5000. The original owner went all out on the conversion.

Doug

07XL0218

Vista Blue Coupe 40th Anniversary, with SS upgrades; 605 HP and Shelby extreme brakes F&R

Very interesting pictures, they tell the complete story. The blower is the Ford Racing Whipple, therefore 605 HP. Also the car had a brake upgrade, 6 piston front and 4 piston rear which was about a $5000 option. So the car had the $12,650 40th package, a $6600 Ford Racing blower and then the brakes at approx $5000. The original owner went all out on the conversion.

Doug

07XL0218

Vista Blue Coupe 40th Anniversary, with SS upgrades; 605 HP and Shelby extreme brakes F&R

Doug,

I was a little late to the 40th party. What are the SS upgrades you have listed?

Doug

07XL0218

Definitely some nice upgrades, however they could have added more. The Interior and cooling packages for example. The blower is the FRPP TVS not the Whipple but is 605HP. Also the rear brakes are just the upgraded rotors not the full 4 piston brakes.

Archived