TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Transmission Cooler Scoop Questions

hey guys,

i'm interested in adding a trans cooler scoop to my SGT but i'm having trouble deceiding between the boss 302 or shelby products.

any opinions on the pros and cons of either part?

hey guys,

i'm interested in adding a trans cooler scoop to my SGT but i'm having trouble deceiding between the boss 302 or shelby products.

any opinions on the pros and cons of either part?

We have two distinct differences with our Shelby part:

1. No need to remove for oil changes

2. CS logo cutout lets debris fall out

Thanks,

Jer

Sorry for the delay, I just needed a chance to speak with the designer, our man Vince LaViolette. Here's the scoop (pun intended!):

In our tests, the Shelby scoop showed an average of 15-30 degrees of cooling, depending on track temps. The Boss 302 unit only cooled about 5 degrees - the difference is that the Shelby unit grabs more air from the sides, whereas the Boss unit had a tendency to duct in heat from the oil pan.

Jer

wow jer! thank you for getting me that info, I'm a numbers guy so I really appreciate that data, instead of just saying "significant" or "a lot".

my main purpose for wanting the scoop is to make the cabin more comfortable on a summer highway trip, as I'm sure you know how warm the trans tunnel gets in a mustang. plus keeping the trans cooler the few times a year that I race/track the car is a great too

thanks again, you're the best!

I have the Shelby unit on my SGT and immediately noticed the temp difference in the Hurst manual shifter, especially in the Summer here in Atlanta. My primary purpose for adding this was just to cool down the transmission due to this hot shifter effect, and it is noticeable difference just to the touch so I can only imagine what the actually measured differences would be with proper equipment.

I also noticed that the scoop was wider than the Boss unit and pulled more air from the sides of the oil pan, but also allows for the notch for oil changes to be easy access. I thought it was a design that SPP just took and improved to that next level...not to mention I liked the Shelby blue color!

Hope that helps.

Andy.

Archived