TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Homelink Solution

duckgumbeaux

Does anyone know of a solution to add some type of homelink to a 2011 GT500? My dealer says that I could not order the driver side visor for a 2012 or 2013 that would work with my 2011. I am sure that someone on the forum has an answer

I used the Ford one on my Mustang. It was a somewhat streamlined harness but it is exactly the same mirror you get from the Gentex distributor with a generic harness. Neither is better. I bought the generic version for my Dodge truck and it was about a 20 minute install to tap into the fuse block. I don't remember the name of the distributor company now, but I'm sure Google will bring you there....

P.S. It's auto-dimming, which was also top on my list. Our 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee had this mirror in it, and I don't understand why the base car doesn't include it. All modern vehicles should include a self dimming mirror. The car should include a compass and thermometer and garage door openers. Some might bundle them in different combinations beside the mirror. But they should all be there.

Hi,

I did some research into this for my 2010,and was told if you have SYNC system and your compass and Temp is on screen, then the mirror with temp and compass will not work.

I then went with The homelink visors with the lighted vanity mirror from a 2013 Mustang, wired it up to the Map light source all good to go, about a half/hour labour.

Hi,

I then went with The homelink visors with the lighted vanity mirror from a 2013 Mustang, wired it up to the Map light source all good to go, about a half/hour labour.

Peter, So what you are saying is the visor only needs power to operate the homelink? Would it need constant power (12V all time) or switchable as with the map light (on/off)?

Did you pull down the headliner or tuck the wires up into it?

Curious, cause I might do the mod as well.

Peter, So what you are saying is the visor only needs power to operate the homelink? Would it need constant power (12V all time) or switchable as with the map light (on/off)?

Did you pull down the headliner or tuck the wires up into it?

Curious, cause I might do the mod as well.

They want a constant voltage source so you can open the garage door without having the key on. Many don't recommend that the reason being that if the car is outside it's easy to pop a window and open the door. I connected the one in my truck this way as I have an outside keypad and my truck is outside all the time. A switched source is NOT on the down side of the map lights, but is considered "on" when the ignition key is in the on or acc position. Be careful when using a map light wire that it is permanent and not dimmed. Some of the overheads now have a timed circuit that turns off (and dims as it does) the lights after opening the door. Check the wiring diagrams for your vehicle!

They want a constant voltage source so you can open the garage door without having the key on. Many don't recommend that the reason being that if the car is outside it's easy to pop a window and open the door. I connected the one in my truck this way as I have an outside keypad and my truck is outside all the time. A switched source is NOT on the down side of the map lights, but is considered "on" when the ignition key is in the on or acc position. Be careful when using a map light wire that it is permanent and not dimmed. Some of the overheads now have a timed circuit that turns off (and dims as it does) the lights after opening the door. Check the wiring diagrams for your vehicle!

Why would that be any harder then them popping a window in your house and opening a door? :shrug:

Does anyone know of a solution to add some type of homelink to a 2011 GT500? My dealer says that I could not order the driver side visor for a 2012 or 2013 that would work with my 2011. I am sure that someone on the forum has an answer

For my 2010, several years ago, I purchased a battery powered HomeLink unit and attached it to my visor. I had to cut a hole in the visor to allow the unit to rest tight against the visor. Everything fits up into the recessed area of the headliner. The HomeLink unit does not interfere with use of the visor when up or down. The camera flash makes the HomeLink unit's shade of black appear a lot different than actual, however, in the car, you don't even notice it on top of the visor.

post-28117-0-58682600-1389066639_thumb.jpgpost-28117-0-35863500-1389066641_thumb.jpgpost-28117-0-29216800-1389066642_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

FYI I had some Liftmaster side jack garage door openers installed at my house. I was all stoked to be able to use the homelink system in my 2012 GT500 to open the garage door and just pull straight in. Well it seems as if the homelink system in the car and what Liftmaster uses are different frequencies or something. I can of course purchase a "router" from Liftmaster to allow it all to work, but that just seemed silly and instead just keep the three button installer in the cup holder.

Moral of the story is to make sure that it'll work before you jump through all the hoops to install it.

-steve

• 1 month later...

I had a 2012 visor installed by my dealer today and it is much better as it has the Homelink as well as a light. They could not find any wiring for it anywhere and wired it to my map light. The key has to be on or in the accessory position for it to work and that is fine with me. It took me about 2 minutes to program 2 doors into the visor. If anyone needs more specifics as to how it was installed, I will get them from the dealer and post the instructions here.

So you can wire it with the switched 12v and ground only and skip the constant 12v? I always thought the constant was to keep the programming in memory.

FYI I had some Liftmaster side jack garage door openers installed at my house. I was all stoked to be able to use the homelink system in my 2012 GT500 to open the garage door and just pull straight in. Well it seems as if the homelink system in the car and what Liftmaster uses are different frequencies or something. I can of course purchase a "router" from Liftmaster to allow it all to work, but that just seemed silly and instead just keep the three button installer in the cup holder.

Moral of the story is to make sure that it'll work before you jump through all the hoops to install it.

-steve

I wonder why, I have the same setup and have been using the visor controls to operate my LiftMaster side jack set up. It has been a bit since I did the sync but I believe I just went with the directions from the car manual and opener. Last two years mine has been working.

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder why, I have the same setup and have been using the visor controls to operate my LiftMaster side jack set up. It has been a bit since I did the sync but I believe I just went with the directions from the car manual and opener. Last two years mine has been working.

Well crap. Guess I"ll have to try it again and see. It would never sync up for me when trying to match the visor to the liftmaster unit. Mine is a 2012 with black stripe delete too, so it's not any stripe interference happening.

-steve

So you can wire it with the switched 12v and ground only and skip the constant 12v? I always thought the constant was to keep the programming in memory.

I think your garage door opener or Homelink setups in the house learn the remote, not the other way around… so there is no memory in the remote. I could be wrong.

Jer

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I did some research into this for my 2010,and was told if you have SYNC system and your compass and Temp is on screen, then the mirror with temp and compass will not work.

Can you tell us what wires you tapped for the constant 12v from the map lights?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I installed a homelink unit into the maplight pod in my 2008 Shelby GT and all I did was connect the red wire to a power source and the black wire to a ground...it worked flawlessly for the 5 years I owned the car...it was fun trying to get it to fit in the map light pod, but that was before they started installing the Passenger Air Bag lights there too...but it was done and did work...the visor should be the same install...red to power and black to ground...shouldn't need to be constant power...

I installed a homelink unit into the maplight pod in my 2008 Shelby GT and all I did was connect the red wire to a power source and the black wire to a ground...it worked flawlessly for the 5 years I owned the car...it was fun trying to get it to fit in the map light pod, but that was before they started installing the Passenger Air Bag lights there too...but it was done and did work...the visor should be the same install...red to power and black to ground...shouldn't need to be constant power...

The homelink mirrors have +12v switched, +12v constant, and ground.

I purchased the 12 visors with homelink and the wiring harness. Have to pull the pull the wires through and then figure the harness connections better. Wondering if I can't just pull power from the upper lights into the new harness, leave the old ones in place and be done with it.

Archived