TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Convertible Owners Only

I have not ordered my '08 convertible yet but am hesitating a bit about ordering the 'vert over the coupe. I've read several articles about the suspensin being softer and I'm wondering how much worse the 'vert will handle as apposed to the coupe.

I would like to hear from the 'vert owners about why you ordered yours instead of the coupe and are you happy with the decision.

I have not ordered my '08 convertible yet but am hesitating a bit about ordering the 'vert over the coupe. I've read several articles about the suspensin being softer and I'm wondering how much worse the 'vert will handle as apposed to the coupe.

I would like to hear from the 'vert owners about why you ordered yours instead of the coupe and are you happy with the decision.

VERY happy with NO regrets what so ever. Handling is tight, suspension is perfectly adaquite for being stock, and the only difference between the two models is that the convertible weighs more. I've driven both and can tell you that the handling between the two is identical.

VERY happy with NO regrets what so ever. Handling is tight, suspension is perfectly adaquite for being stock, and the only difference between the two models is that the convertible weighs more. I've driven both and can tell you that the handling between the two is identical.

+1 What he said. Love mine.

I have yet to be in either a coupe or vert but i did not order my vert to worry about handling or quarter mile racing, i bought it to cruise with the top down on nice days and just enjoy driving a legend!!!. If you are thinking of running the car hard i would get a coupe for sure. I already have a drag car so that is the main reason i chose a vert. By no means is my statement mean that a vert wont haul azz, i am sure there would be more than enough car there to have some serious fun with. Otherwise it would not say shelby on it!! :happy feet: Good luck with your decision.

Scott.

I'm glad I have a vert. It's like having two cars for the price of one! No regrets.

Guest markham51

I have both and the difference is only slightly noticable on bumpy roads. The ridgidity of the vert is WAY better than last generation Mustangs. If you like top down motoring....buy the vert, you will NOT be dissapointed.

A convertible Shelby…..what’s to think about!!!! With the roof rolled back on a warm sunny day (only time to take it out if you ask me), this car is flat out beautiful. I really don’t think on the performance end you will feel short changed….its plenty quick, stays on the road and looks beautiful doing so……what could be bad with that???

GET THE VERT!!

I have both and the vert is a smoother ride and feels just as quick as the coupe.

On a warm day with the top down you can't beat it.

I've never owned a vert before and was apprehensive also. I have no regrets.

Buy it. You'll love it.

If your goal is to road race on a track then the coupe would probably be a better choice, but if you are just planning on driving it around town and having fun with it the vert is the best choice (in my opinion). I would not trade it for anything!

I have had both the Fox body Convertible SVT and now the Shelby.

The Shelby Convertible has a better ride and better handling then the Fox body SVT.

Nothing better then the top down on a warm sunny day!

I love my vert. I tend to bastardize what ever I get but do at times wish I had the coupe. I hate getting stuck in the rain in the vert. No issues just hate that. I would like the lower weight (but will counter with extra power :) and save weight in other places.

Would I go the other route - no. I like both, I like the look of the coupe with over the vert with the top up but I love the vert with the top down. I've upgraded the suspention the same as I would on a coupe and will keep doing so. THe only regret I really have is some aftermarket places (no names mentioned eibach) like to put out things for the coup before the vert (sway bars etc.)

The vert with the top up as a really quiet ride with no leaks and with out air whistling though like in old cars. It's not as quiet as a hard top but damn close. With the few upgrades I've done on suspension my ride is better than any stock coupe...the rear stiffened nicely with the panhard and brace. I like that I can drop the top and it is the next best thing to a Harley as far as freedom on the road (I actually prefer this car and am selling my bike). The sound of the modded exhast is better with the top down from the inside. The stereo is plenty loud stock for any driving top down, the top up provides us larger people a little extra headroom over the hard top which is what really drove my choice....along with if I stick my son and/or wife in the car on a nice day and can drive with the top down nothing beats it. Eventually my little girl will be old enough to enjoy it too....for now just sitting still seems to work out well.

The vert is great - I would like both to be honest but have no more garage space.

post-3980-1179753459_thumb.jpg

post-3980-1179753474_thumb.jpg

post-3980-1179753459_thumb.jpg

post-3980-1179753474_thumb.jpg

If you have little ones then having a vert makes it VERY easy to get them in the car and manage car seats. On the down side, it is a bit windier in the back and they may complain about getting cold. I tend to ride more with the top up with little ones in the back just so they can be confortible. My kids love it though, even my 17 month old. When I am washing the car she wants inside it.

What's a coupe??? I believe Shelby's first snakes didn't even come with a top!

:hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2:

I've had nothing but a vert...from my 88 McLaren Mustang and now the GT500, there's nothing like the top down and doing the speed limit, not breaking any state or local traffic laws!

:shift:

my 03 and 04 cobra's were both verts, but when i ordered my shelby i wanted a more performance oriented setup that wouldn't get my balls busted for running 11's at the track without a cage. So I ordered a coupe. I must admit on the beautiful 70-80 degree days I miss dropping the top, but you get used to it. Rolling the windows down does not give the same sensation. Also, you can take much better in car racing videos with a vert (top down). :D

I have yet to be sorry about getting the vert... The handling and speed are great and my wife and I love to go cruising around with the top down on clear Texas evenings. As for being a little bumpy... well at heart its a Mustang and they all are, its part of the charm.

I've had 4 Mustang verts and 3 hardtops over the years but I prefer the convertible. There's just nothing like a nice day with the top down.

But on to a more objective comparison. I've had an '05 GT coupe and now have an '07 GT/CS convertible. The '05 was a tighter and better handling ride - but it was a bit harsher ride as well. The 1st thing I noticed about the '07 was it's softer ride in the front and it's slightly less precise handling. Now having said that, the differences between the two are not major - but they are there. With the vert you also get the "header shake" but again, it's not major and you do become accustomed to it. Vert all the way for me..but keep in mind - I'm not racing (either drag not road) this car - it really all comes down to what you like and what your plans for the car are.

Archived