TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Battery Charger

ChadBuckWeb

Does anyone have advice on a good battery charger to leave on my 14 Gt500. I want to just put it on there and leave it. The car will only get 500 Niels on it a year Nd it's in Iowa so cold winters. Looking for first hand recommendations of specific brands and models.

I have the 3300, bought it on amazon.

I do not leave it on all winter, I put it on every 2 weeks or so, after about 24 hours it is fully charged, I then switch it to my Porsche for about 24 hours. 2 or so weeks later I repeat and continue to do so until driving season comes again.

Works great for me.

I leave my CTEK on all winter. could not be any happier with the CTEK, used to use other brands but feel the CTEK is the most advanced and it is offered by some high end OEM's as a standard.

I have the 3300, bought it on amazon.

I do not leave it on all winter, I put it on every 2 weeks or so, after about 24 hours it is fully charged, I then switch it to my Porsche for about 24 hours. 2 or so weeks later I repeat and continue to do so until driving season comes again.

Works great for me.

Thanks! Just bought the ctek 3300. Love this forum. So helpful.

The new Shelby charger will work with all car batteries.

The project has taken a LONG time, but the end result will be worth it.

Jer

According to the Owner's Manual, my CTEK Mult US 7002 Charger will work with "all types of lead-acid batteries (wet, maintenance free, AGM, and most Gel)." The setting for AGM batteries is 14.7V (Normal wet battery setting is 14.4V).

That's the one I bought for mine

I just use the 4.3 model, but I have to ask why do you guys not like to leave on all winter? Just knowing that a charger on it and incase it fails?

I purchased one for my dad for his car and his bike at the time. For him, he will not leave on cause he thought it gave a false sense in keeping the battery charged and if out the battery may not start vehicle again.

I purchased the CTEK 3300 through Amazon, $53.25 last week. I hooked up to a dead battery and 3 days it was fully charged. I know it charges slower then the "old school" metal box charger boxes but I know the 3300 won't destroy my battery. I like it!

I just use the 4.3 model, but I have to ask why do you guys not like to leave on all winter? Just knowing that a charger on it and incase it fails?

This was, apparently, due to human error but it is nonetheless one of the reasons I won't leave my vehicles plugged-in on a long-term basis.

3 CTEK units have servied me well while in storage (October - April). Amazon seems to have them priced right.

+1. I got mine from Amazon, where I found the best deal.

I've used both and just had better luck with Deltran Battery Tenders.

In what way?

I purchased one for my dad for his car and his bike at the time. For him, he will not leave on cause he thought it gave a false sense in keeping the battery charged and if out the battery may not start vehicle again.

I just figure if there was some sort of a failure on the charger or battery - no use pushing the odds of an electrical fire or chemical (acid) damage. Especially in a $50 charger and a $70k automobile. To each his own - but it also gives me an excuse to tinker with the Shelby in the winter months..... :-)

John.

The newer battery chargers that are out there today and have a computer-controlled micro processing unit to control the charge..., with the battery temperature being monitored..

With the state of charge monitored and able to fully charge the battery to help prolong battery life..

Any of those should work well but the more it does.. say to not overcharge the battery when it is fully charged is the thing to look for.

I have one that I was watching all the time, since I also didn't want a problem.. but if the charger monitors the battery and the state of charge I think its a good one to use and leave on.

Perhaps the Shelby model will do all this as well.

Archived