TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Looking For A Member With Original Over The Top Stripes

mrfarmdog

I am working with a friend on replacing their over the top stripes on a 2006 coupe and part of their kit is not original. I am looking for someone that has original stripes to take detailed pictures of the stripes so I can replicate the install. I would need up close pics of the stripes for all locations including front bumper, under the front of the hood and rear of the hood, top of the vehicle, rear deck including with the trunk open to see how the stripes terminate under the deck lid, rear facia as well. I would also like it if they could show overlap of the stripes in all locations with measurements (holding a ruler up) to see the overlap. Measurements on spacing of all stripes and verification of width of stripes would be awesome too!

Is there anyone that would be willing to work with me to document these?

If so PM me your phone and email and I will call you to discuss.

Thanks!

John Farmer (AKA MrFarmdog)

I really wish you the best of luck Mr F! The one thing you need to understand is that the original stripes were not done as professional as they should have been. If you look closely at what you have thats original, you will see overlap, and uneven cutting. At least that is what mine was.

I ordered the correct stripes from Shelby and when the car was returned I lost a fairly good business aquaintance over the poor job they did replacing mine. The Shop I used are the ones that took all the pics before, while I was there with them, and they pointed out a whole bunch of poor work, and I agreed with them. Unfortunately, when they returned the car to me, the job they did was even worse

I was so unhappy with the job they did, that it almost came to a fist fight. I won't go into details, but I do have pics of the after, but I will never see the pics before..

I really wish I was the one taking the before pics but this company and I have been doing business for over 15 years and I never thought it would ever come to this.

See after pics below...

I have since reordered a few pieces, and had the problem areas redone by another company, and now it looks great!

I just don't think I would get too detailed as to how they were done originally, because it won't affect the value if they come out better.

new stripes-20130709-00223.jpg

new stripes-20130709-00225.jpg

new stripes-20130709-00226.jpg

new stripes-20130709-00223.jpg

new stripes-20130709-00225.jpg

new stripes-20130709-00226.jpg

On three of my 4 Shelby GT's I have had the stripes painted on. We just recently acquired a Hertz Vert and when they go bad we will have them done as well. I had them masked off to replicate the factory stripes to include around the washer on the hood. The only thing I did differently was had them paint through the rear license plate area and run the stripe through the plate. If they had been painted on at the factory, I am sure they would have been done that way (to save time) and if you look at any of the 1/18 models you will see they were done on the model that way. The tape goes around the plate because it was fast and avoided wrinkles and cutting issues. I had them masked identically to the original stripe stopping short of the trim around the windows just as the original tape stripes were done. I had the paint matched perfectly and then clear over so they will last for years to come. Mine have a ridge just as the tape does so they look just like the vinyl...The side stripes hold up better as they do not get the heat and sun so I left them tape from the factory. If you look at my cars the only thing you will notice is the stripes are shinier.

I blew a ton of money and time fooling with warranty claims and such on my cars. The oldest, our 07 White car went bad in two years with the new and improved stripes. Don't waste your time, go get them painted. With the new computer paint technology they can match the color and your car will look great for years to come. I really doubt that paint vs tape is going to change the value of these cars and if anything the cars with painted stripes for sale seem to be bringing a stronger number....or at least they will be easier to sell as any Shelby enthusiast knows about the stripe problem.

Corvette came out with a Silver stripe on its 427...was talking with the Corvette group at Carlisle two years ago. My wife suggested they Google Shelby stripe problem and the Corvette guy just about pooped a brick when he read it on his phone....they got a warranty problem coming big time as one of the test cars was already showing signs of the deterioration. Silver and gold vinyl do not hold up well in the heat and sun.

Just my 22 cents worth...Bobert

John I wish I could help but with the cold and snow around here I will let one of the better climate cars, like Gene or Jeff help.But if need something let me know.

I would suggest painting the stripes and forget about it. I have a set of tape stripes but decided to paint. I matched the tape as it relates to how it was applied with the exception of the deep draw hood which is not original. As far as cuts on the tape under the bumpers etc, mine were not even and done with any detail so I do not think a measurement will matter. How it will affect the car in the future, who knows and most likely will not matter in my life time. Enjoy and good luck. As others mentioned, 9" wide 1" gap front to rear. Here is a link to what I did. http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/79345-06h0050-painted-stripes/

ITHERZ66 has a great blog as well covering his project.

The issue is pretty simple. The typical auto graphics guy can't maintain the 1" space between the stripes. The roof and hood are especially problematic as they are curved and if you lay them on straight you will see that the space in between will get wider in the middle and then come back in. It's the nature of it and unless the person is experienced with this they will be wrong. I've seen it over and over and over again. Paint will not have that issue. Either is fine as far as I'm concerned you just need to be VERY firm that the stripes are 1" apart ALL THE WAY AROUND. If they are not...they do them again.

Good luck!

I am working with a friend on replacing their over the top stripes on a 2006 coupe and part of their kit is not original. I am looking for someone that has original stripes to take detailed pictures of the stripes so I can replicate the install. I would need up close pics of the stripes for all locations including front bumper, under the front of the hood and rear of the hood, top of the vehicle, rear deck including with the trunk open to see how the stripes terminate under the deck lid, rear facia as well. I would also like it if they could show overlap of the stripes in all locations with measurements (holding a ruler up) to see the overlap. Measurements on spacing of all stripes and verification of width of stripes would be awesome too!

Is there anyone that would be willing to work with me to document these?

If so PM me your phone and email and I will call you to discuss.

Thanks!

John Farmer (AKA MrFarmdog)

John,

Call me about this.

Thanks,

Jer

ITHERTZ66

I read through your blog and can provide more info on the Oracal product. The 951 series vinyl replaced the 851 series and uses the same vinyl substrate (vinyl color) that the 851 does. The only difference is the 951 series has extra UV protection (clear over the vinyl substrate) so that the vinyl will last longer. According to Oracal a 951 series is a 9 year vinyl and as you pointed out it is not warranted for horizontal surfaces like car stripes. However, for people that take care of their cars and keep them in a garage and clean the material can last for years.

I would like to point out that Oracal offers another option other than the 951 series vinyl and that is the 970 series wrap material. It is a true wrap cast vinyl that is over double the thickness as the 951 series and is specifically made for wrap applications like cars. I use this material extensively for matte black stripes and it is awesome. It applies easier than the 951 series and can be removed easier as well.

Here is information on both products:

http://www.orafol.com/gp/europe/en/products/colour-films-product-details/items/oracal-951-metallic-premium-cast

http://www.orafol.com/gp/europe/en/products/car-wrapping-materials-product-details/items/oracal-970-premium-wrapping-cast

Also I realize the cutting and application of these stripes was much rougher than the later SGTs. My goal with this project is to give a quality install with correct dimensions but still keep true to the originality as much as possible.

Anyone that has pics of their stripe overlap and termination points please let me know if you are willing to share.

Thanks!

John (AKA MrFarmdog)

Thanks for the information John. After researching your link, your data appears inaccurate on the 951 warranty. The data sheet here from the site you provided: http://www.orafol.com/tl_files/content/downloads/technicaldatasheets/europe/en/oracal/oracal-951-premium-cast.pdf Indicates 6 years for the metallics, just like I mentioned on my blog. NOT 9, and again NOT for horizontals. It should also be noted that the shelf life is only 2 years when stored in optimal conditions.

In regards to finding original cars with original striping in 851, which (as you mentioned) is inferior to 951, I hold to my statement that finding original striped cars in excellent/like new condition would be very difficult given how these cars were stored outdoors in harsh environments while in fleet service. Since going back to original is impossible (no more 851), it seems appropriate that those who wish to PAINT their stripes should do so without worrying about perceived value based on originality. In my opinion, If done correctly, a painted stripe job should ADD much to the value of all the late model Shelbys.

Here's a shot of a painted panel with a couple small strips of the 951 I had on hand to compare it to. This is shot with sunlight directly on the panel. I think we got pretty darn close :)

IMG_20131209_133542.jpg

IMG_20131209_133805.jpg

ITHERTZ66

Perhaps I came across wrong in my earlier post so forgive me. Your information is accurate for the Gold Metallic. I was speaking in generalities as I have worked with a variety of the 951 series vinyl as well as the 651 series and 970RA. My intent was to provide some additional insight and also make people aware of potential options if they chose to go down the vinyl path. The 951 "series" (and I stress series because it covers a whole range of products including matte, basic color and metallic) in general is commonly referred to as a nine year vinyl (just like the 651 series is commonly referred to as a 6 year vinyl). The actual life expectancy of the 951 vinyl varies from 3-12 years depending on the product.

For the Metallic Gold we are talking about, if it is applied correctly and cared for then the look of the vinyl should last longer than the life expectancy because they take into account that the material will be applied outside on a vertical surface that is exposed to the elements and UV rays. If you striped your car and kept it under a car cover in a garage then you could expect to have a decent looking car for a long time, certainly longer than six years. Obviously wear and look will vary with the amount of exposure to the elements the car has had so an owner should take that into account when making a decision on what route they want to take. Everyone has a choice of the direction they want to go with their car and some prefer paint and some prefer to keep it more stock looking and go with vinyl. I agree paint will provide a better result overall assuming it is done correctly but there is also the issue of cost, which I assume is why these cars came with vinyl stripes originally.

With all that said I really would like to focus on my original question which is how the stripes terminated on the body panels so I can discuss with my friend and let him decide the direction he wants to go.

Hood - Do the stripes pass under the plastic deep draw riveted hood vent (for lack of a better term)? Also do they wrap completely around and under the front and back of the hood, so in other words if the hood is open and you look at the back of the hood from the underside next to the windshield how much of the stripe can you see that is folded under the hood? What about under the front of the hood?

Top - Do the stripes fold down into the windshield channel on the front and back of the top or do they terminate on the top itself?

Rear Deck / Trunk - I assume the stripes fold into the trunk entry and also wrap around the rear deck both on the front and back. How much of the stripe is showing on the underside of the trunk?

Rear Bumper - I would really like to see a picture of the rear bumper with the trunk open to see how the stripes terminate where the deck lid closes. It could wrap around the bumper but I expect it does not. On the bottom of the rear bumper I know it is cut around the license plate opening but I would like to see pics of how the stripes terminated under the license plate opening.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Also pictures would be preferred.

Oh... HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Thanks for the information John. After researching your link, your data appears inaccurate on the 951 warranty. The data sheet here from the site you provided: http://www.orafol.com/tl_files/content/downloads/technicaldatasheets/europe/en/oracal/oracal-951-premium-cast.pdf Indicates 6 years for the metallics, just like I mentioned on my blog. NOT 9, and again NOT for horizontals. It should also be noted that the shelf life is only 2 years when stored in optimal conditions.

In regards to finding original cars with original striping in 851, which (as you mentioned) is inferior to 951, I hold to my statement that finding original striped cars in excellent/like new condition would be very difficult given how these cars were stored outdoors in harsh environments while in fleet service. Since going back to original is impossible (no more 851), it seems appropriate that those who wish to PAINT their stripes should do so without worrying about perceived value based on originality. In my opinion, If done correctly, a painted stripe job should ADD much to the value of all the late model Shelbys

The issue is pretty simple. The typical auto graphics guy can't maintain the 1" space between the stripes. The roof and hood are especially problematic as they are curved and if you lay them on straight you will see that the space in between will get wider in the middle and then come back in. It's the nature of it and unless the person is experienced with this they will be wrong. I've seen it over and over and over again. Paint will not have that issue. Either is fine as far as I'm concerned you just need to be VERY firm that the stripes are 1" apart ALL THE WAY AROUND. If they are not...they do them again.

Good luck!

Just curious, if the curves on the car pose a challenge for laying on replacement stripes with respect to spacing (wider/narrower), how is it different when paint shop guys tape it off for painting? Also, does anyone have any tips for finding a good paint shop, particularly H0050 and ITHERTZ66? Thanks...

Fine line tape is much easier to lay and mask off with than 9" wide sheets of vinyl.... Finding a good shop? Join a club, ask around at car shows, etc.. Find a guy who is used to having picky customers and doing two tone paint jobs like a hot rod shop. Find a guy who will stand by his work, and who has a great reputation - ask around for references and inspect other cars he's completed. People who have been treated well by a paint/body shop will have no trouble passing along referrals and praising the shop they used. Good luck.

Just curious, if the curves on the car pose a challenge for laying on replacement stripes with respect to spacing (wider/narrower), how is it different when paint shop guys tape it off for painting? Also, does anyone have any tips for finding a good paint shop, particularly H0050 and ITHERTZ66? Thanks...

Gary / Jeff

Someone that knows what they are doing can lay stripes straight on compound curved surfaces like hoods or roofs. They just have to take the time to do it right. We are very picky about our cars and it is hard to find a shop that has that same level of care. Wet installs are best for this as you can lay the vinyl down and set one end in place and then gradually work your way front to back making sure the vinyl is aligned correctly. Not hard to do but it can be time consuming.

In regards to finding original cars with original striping in 851, which (as you mentioned) is inferior to 951, I hold to my statement that finding original striped cars in excellent/like new condition would be very difficult given how these cars were stored outdoors in harsh environments while in fleet service. Since going back to original is impossible (no more 851), it seems appropriate that those who wish to PAINT their stripes should do so without worrying about perceived value based on originality. In my opinion, If done correctly, a painted stripe job should ADD much to the value of all the late model Shelbys.

Here's a shot of a painted panel with a couple small strips of the 951 I had on hand to compare it to. This is shot with sunlight directly on the panel. I think we got pretty darn close :)

IMG_20131209_133542.jpg

IMG_20131209_133805.jpg

I sure like the way the flake in the painted section looks!! :camera:

• 2 weeks later...

Fine line tape is much easier to lay and mask off with than 9" wide sheets of vinyl.... Finding a good shop? Join a club, ask around at car shows, etc.. Find a guy who is used to having picky customers and doing two tone paint jobs like a hot rod shop. Find a guy who will stand by his work, and who has a great reputation - ask around for references and inspect other cars he's completed. People who have been treated well by a paint/body shop will have no trouble passing along referrals and praising the shop they used. Good luck.

Gary, I agree with ITHERTZ66 comment. Just do some due diligent work. Also the 2006 HERTZ cars stripes did not have the relief between the roof and windows like the SGTs and other Shelby cars now being done. So for me to get the stripe as close as possible with paint my painter suggested to remove the glass. I am glad I did. I think taping it off would have created a flaw unless I wanted the relief line which is not prominent on the 2006 cars. I think Troy may even have pictures of that part of the project in his blog. I cannot speak for the 2007 GT-H, I will have to look at one some time. Either way good luck with the restripe project whether tape or paint.

Yea, they layed/pressed in the vinyl under/between the front/rear glass and the body. Easy to press in with a spatula or something during instal - Tough to remove (:

Here's a shot of the area with the windshield removed that was painted. The vinyl laid in here in a similar fashion. I was told that the w/s would likely crack when removed, and the expert was right, so plan on a new w/s in your budget if you elect to do this.

012.JPG

Thanks to everyone who provided their thoughts/suggestions/advice. Now the decision to re-stripe or paint. Recently spoke to some really old school Mustang/Shelby collectors at a car show and they all said to re-stripe it to keep it original. I think it will still be original even if it's painted (as long as it's the correct color), but there are differing opinions regarding how it will affect future value. Decisions, decisions!! It'll be a while anyway before I do anything. Current stripes are in good shape, as she is always garaged/covered with a breathable Covercraft cover.

Question though for Jeff and Harald - did you only have the top of your cars painted when the stripes were done, or the entire car? If only the top, where were the blend lines?

For me, I just did the roof, trunk/bumpers and hood. Roof has those inserts so that is where we stopped. Hood is a Terlingua Deep draw so the entire hood was done. Original hood is put away. I did not paint side rockers as ithas the Shelby GT-H/SC stripes. This allows to go back to original GT-H rocker if so desired but why? As for original, I am not sure that painted stripes will affect collectability. Its one thing if the car was a never rented single or double digit mileage car or one of the coveted manual trans cars. But one that has been in the rental fleet with now 35 k on the odometer, who knows.

Couple links:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/79345-06h0050-painted-stripes/

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/77498-deep-draw-hood/

Jeff J and ITHERTZ did a full on repaint. I am sure they will chime in and share.

Archived