TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Winter Tires Gt500

ali_paris_hasan

Just bought my first 2007 Shelby GT500 with plenty of mods, and I am aware the tires don't grip well below 40F. This is the only winter season I will be driving the Shelby around (the driving is extremely minimal, work is 3 minutes away and college is 5), I will be getting my moms jeep in the summer to use as a winter car, but in the mean time I will need winter tires that could handle temperatures between (20-40F on average), little snow, and rain. Like I said driving, will be minimal but I might have to move around a bit, and I will be driving extremely slow. Any tire suggestions? I have been searching by nobody posted a tire size, only one person said 255/40/18? That seems like a lot of stretch to me. They will be mounted in stock wheels since I have another pair of chrome wheels for the summer, so the size is 18x9.5 on stock wheels. Any suggestions? tips? I really need help with tire sizes too. I truly appreciate all your input. Thanks!

My recommendation is to find another inexpensive winter car, at least until you get the jeep.

Put the GT500 on standing insurance, and store it in a good sheltered space.

The GT500s have way too much hp and torque to be practical in poor weather conditions.

When it gets down to 60F my car is all over the place even with medium throttle, and can easily spin right around on you with the traction control on.

Usually what you really have to worry about is the people that are driving around you, which you will have zero control over.

As for driving distance, an amazing amount of accidents occur to people only minutes from where they live.

Plus you have a very cool car, make the effort to keep it in as good a condition as you can.

That may not be an option for you, but I definitely think it is worth considering.

I've been pleased with the Michelin's on my car and will drive it when it is cold, but you have to feather the throttle wherever you go. These tires seem to do "OK" until it gets below 35 degrees, but then the car is not very fun to drive. The Goodyear's were useless under 50 degrees and unpredictable under 60 degrees. That's why I have two other vehicles.

I think your equipment is a factor but you will be the biggest factor. I read thrwad after thread about how you cant drive these cars under xx deg. Im running the stock crappy f1s until monday and ive driven mine down to around 20deg. Can you roll the throttle hard? No but the car is driveable if you have experience with higher hp cars

stay away from DRs. Im putting NT555's on the rear. And probably invos up front.

I think your equipment is a factor but you will be the biggest factor. I read thrwad after thread about how you cant drive these cars under xx deg. Im running the stock crappy f1s until monday and ive driven mine down to around 20deg. Can you roll the throttle hard? No but the car is driveable if you have experience with higher hp cars

stay away from DRs. Im putting NT555's on the rear. And probably invos up front.

Same here.......... Nitto 555"s all around..........Daily driver............no problems! :happy feet:

+1

The only thing that really keeps me from driving during winter is the :swear: salt they pour on the roads.

I have Nitto Invos and love them.

Archived