TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Newbie,just Purchased 2014 Shelby Gt 500

Geneo4116

Just bought 14 shelby gt 500,all I could do is pull in garage,weather terrible here in WISCONSIN,sold my 13 gt mustang with 575 roush charger to buy the shelby it was a automatic with 373s,really don't know what to expect out of the shelby,but always wanted one since I was 15,anyway headin to Florida on dec 28th and will be driving the car,about a 1400 mile trip,was gonna ship it,but decided to drive it,will be down there thru march,will be 32 here day I'm leaving,that's the high,probably 15 in the morning,but checked weather and clear all thru where I will be traveling,stopping in St. Louis to see my mom,will be 55 degrees there,so hope all goes well,

Thanks for all the replies,kinda got me scarred,as far as the tires,as long as I keep my foot out of it should be okay till I get further down south,just keep it in a higher gear keep the rpms down should be okay I hope,car has like 9.5 miles on it,temperature is going to be 18 degrees in the morning when I get on the road, what say u

If the car has the F1, buy new all season tires right away, before your trip. They are like driving on big wheel tires at anything below 55 degrees. Very dangerous. Welcome to the club and Merry Christmas!!!

Congratultions on the new car and welcome to Team Shelby. Please post a picture or two when you can. I have read several of the postings from our 2014 members and the technology couple with the raw power makes for an amazing ride. Once you get to the warmer weather you'll have to let us know how she performs.

If you still have the GoodYears on it, read the attached notice.

Basically, if they are not recommended below 40 degrees, you need to warn them up before using them or they may crack.

My 13 was delivered in January to Vegas, 25 degrees that week, tires cracked on delivery.

Dealer replaced mine with Michelin Pilot Super Sports under warranty.

post-38126-0-83186600-1388026357_thumb.jpg

post-38126-0-83186600-1388026357_thumb.jpg

Welcome aboard and enjoy the new Shelby.

Good advice to follow regarding the tires. Have a safe trip, Merry Christmas and be sure to register with the Shelby Registry as the owner if you have not had a chance. Its in my signature below the link you need.

David

It's 18degrees here and it drives fine on dry pavement assuming you use common sense.

My only advice would be read the manual carefully on the break in period on the motor/trans. 200mi before full throttle accels, 1k mi before you push it hard. I spoke with SVT and they cautioned that they want you to vary the rpm and not stay at any one constant for long periods of time. Wish I'd known that, I drove mine back from a dealer with 7mi on the odo for 1600mi and ran into an odd break in issue that could have been avoided.

Color is oxford white with matte black stripes,only option is the trac pac,really can't swing new tires right now,and they would have to order them anyway couldn't get them by Saturday,gonna have to ride on goodyears,leavin Saturday,just have to drive on egg shells,every time i try to download pics it's says there to large,not very computer savvy

.... They are like driving on big wheel tires at anything below 55 degrees. Very dangerous.

Great description!

I got my 2014 convertible on December 6, and while it has been warm enough here (L.A.) to drive around with the top down I still feel like I'm driving a big wheel.

Granted, is has been a while since I drove a stick, but getting use to the throttle/clutch combination on this car has been a real challenge for me.

Burning lots of rubber may impress friends and neighbors, but my goal is to get more grip on the pavement.

Yeah getting out of here for a couple months,man I love Ashland go up there every summer since I was 12 yrs old,now 52,we take a dirt bike trip up to the chewomagen I'm sure spelled that wrong,usually around ino and iron river,now mainly 4 wheelers,always have a good time t here,but I don't envy the winters up there,I've had at least 20 mustangs,alot of 65-68 fastbacks,a 07 cs and a 13 gt with roush charger,always wanted a shelby,could of bought one in 1976 for 3000.00 but didn't have the cash,I had a 65 fastback in high school first car been mustang crazy ever since,kinda a love hate relationship,the shelby I dunno will see,looks fun but 60k for a car is just crazy,but had to have it,a friend told me to tragedies in life,NEVR GETTING WHAT YA WANT,AND GETTING WHAT U WANT,LOL WILL,SEE

If you still have the GoodYears on it, read the attached notice.

Basically, if they are not recommended below 40 degrees, you need to warn them up before using them or they may crack.

My 13 was delivered in January to Vegas, 25 degrees that week, tires cracked on delivery.

Dealer replaced mine with Michelin Pilot Super Sports under warranty.

I was surprised to read that in the Shelby supplement. Even in San Diego I have driven something else on a trip to New Mexico for that reason. Not a huge deal,in the grand scheme of things. But sure would have been a fun drive in the Shelby.The supplement warns if performance package(19" fronts and 20" rears) is installed do so with exact brand, size and construction as originally equipped. I take that to mean Goodyear F1 summer tires. The supplement indicates even same size different brand can result in insuffient clearances causing puncture and vehicle damage. I have not replaced with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports(Only set available) because of that. I would really like to hear everyone's thought, fact, opinion, and conjecture on this one.

C402,

The Goodyear F1 G:2's found on GT500's with the SVTPP option from 2011 forward are good (albeit not great) performance tires on the street and track when driving surface temperatures are at least 60+ degrees (even better at 70+ degrees) and dry. I found my similarly equipped 2011 Shelby to "stick" under those conditions here in NorCal. I can also report that their "hockey puck" reputation in sub-50 degree temperatures is accurate and requires caution using the skinny pedal. I would think in San Diego, you'd be OK with the Goodyears.

We'll in valdosta Georgia ,stopped for the night,I can say everything u guys told me about the factory goodyears,true very true,drove very easy till I got to St. Louis still drove easy,but stopped at my brother in laws grave,on the way out of the cemetery,was in the parking lot about a 200 x 100 parking lot in first gear,mind ya it's in the 30s,I hit down on it about half throttle at most,spun me in a 180,very surprised but was in control of it no problems,but pretty big surprise,so just drove easy,but when I got going thru Chattanooga a camaro got in behind me on the interstate trying to tempt me into a race,I was in 5th gear running about 60, now mind ya it's 44 degrees, so I throw it in 3rd hit it about half way,car fishtailes I let off it straightens out,so yeah good years suck in cold weather,haven't got to Florida yet here in valdosta,leaving this morning,any HAPPY NEW YEARS GUYS,VERY GLAD FOR ALL THE INFO,DEFINETLY SAVED MY BUT ON THIS TRIP DOWN,BUT YA KNOW IF YA DRIVE IT EASY UR OKAY,BUT THIS CAR IS GONNA BE FUN !!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on the new Shelby and great color choice :yahoo: . Sounds like a great trip. I kind of did the same thing when I got mine. Took a drive up to North Carolina the first week I had it so my son could tint the windows. What an awesome ride. Where in Florida? Happy New Year and enjoy the ride :happy feet:

Just outta orlando,in a little town called davenport,I can say love the car,it's hard to believe they made a car like this,it's so mild mannered,till u want it to be different,I had a 2013 gt before I bought this,had a roush charger on it 575hp automatic with 373s,nice car,but man nothing like the shelby,and I really thought I had the car with the gt,but this shelby is just awesome,but must give it respect it deserves it,I had a 65 fastback in high school ,and I guy across the street had a 66 shelby I would have cut my left xxx for, and he would of sold it for 3000.00 but in 1976 didn't have any way of getting 3000.00 was 15 then, have has several fastbacks thru the years 67 68 69 been hooked for along time,the shelby really is a complete different vehicle than the mustang,didn't believe it till I owned one,drove it on a 1400 mile trip never regretted it,my gt with roush charger,never drove that far on a trip,but the shelby just had to,only problem with the shelby,CANT GET TRACTION WITH GOODYEARS UNLESS 65 degrees better the warmer,but cant say enough,how much I love the car,very proud to own it!!!!!!!

I am in Brandon, the east side of Tampa. It definitely is an awesome car and such a blast to drive. Yep, the tires are not good in those low temps. They aren't too bad in the summer. I tried out the launch control after break in and WOW!!! she takes off like a bat out of hell :yahoo: . Enjoy :happy feet:

Congrats and welcome, OP!

The OEM GY Eagle F1 tires definitely leave a lot to be desired, but they're manageable even in colder temps IF you know what you're doing and never forget what you're driving. Thankfully, I hadn't read the Bulletin WJinLV referenced above before I drove mine home (to Colorado) from Seattle over Veterans' Day in 2012. My son and I had an uneventful road trip home, despite SNOW on an eastern Oregon mountain pass and BLACK ICE in western Wyoming, both with temps in the TEENS and TWENTIES. It CAN be done, SLOWLY and CAREFULLY...

Archived