TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Michelin Pilot Super Sport Vs Michelin Pilot A/s 3S In Warm Weather

yell03

For my 50th birthday I am getting a new set of rims for my Daily Driverlb_icon1.png 2011 GT500 Convertible making around 600rwhp after the TVS swap.

It currently runs 285/35/19 Michelin Piloticon1.png A/S 3s out back which are GREAT tires in any weather.

When Spring comes, I was thinking of swapping to Michelin Pilot Super Sportsicon1.png for the warmer weather, Spring & Summer and using the A/S 3s for the cooler months.

Would the Super Sports provided better tractionicon1.png in warmer weather than the A/S 3s, talking straight line traction of course?

The rims I am leaning towards are 19x9.5" SVE drifts which weigh about 26lb each, about 5lbs lighter than stock I believe.

• 4 weeks later...

I would do 19's in the front and 20's in the back. But I assume you want to get 4 19's so you can rotate your tires and get more miles out of them. I currently have super sports on my GT500. I have 275/35/19 in the front and 295/35/20 on the back. Before this set I had the stock Goodyears and they were hot garbage. These SS blow those tires right out of the water. Traction is much improved and wheel hop is all but gone. For reference I do have Whiteline's LCA's with relocation brackets installed. But I had them also while I had the Goodyears on so it doesn't change anything. The car hooks up and go's. I thought I wanted to get the NT05's, but there is no way that you get the same mileage out of those as you would from the Super Sports. Seeing how this is your daily driver, I would recommend the SS's as I also daily drive my GT500.

I would do 19's in the front and 20's in the back. But I assume you want to get 4 19's so you can rotate your tires and get more miles out of them. I currently have super sports on my GT500. I have 275/35/19 in the front and 295/35/20 on the back. Before this set I had the stock Goodyears and they were hot garbage. These SS blow those tires right out of the water. Traction is much improved and wheel hop is all but gone. For reference I do have Whiteline's LCA's with relocation brackets installed. But I had them also while I had the Goodyears on so it doesn't change anything. The car hooks up and go's. I thought I wanted to get the NT05's, but there is no way that you get the same mileage out of those as you would from the Super Sports. Seeing how this is your daily driver, I would recommend the SS's as I also daily drive my GT500.

I just put on Black AMR rims today, 19x8.5 front and 19x10 rear.

I am ordering MPSS 255/40/19s and 295/35/19s.

I might need to lower the car as the 8.5s make the front tires taller and the 10s make the rears shorter than the stock 9.5" rims.

It makes the rear wheel gap huge.

Rimsmorepics014_zps9ac5ec23.jpg

January112013rims031_zps4d02895a.jpg

Rimsmorepics016_zps39874bf6.jpg

Looks good! I just upgraded to A/S 3 last week on the rear and they are great, very sticky!

I am going to give the A/S 3s to my son for the spring, summer, and fall.

I gave him my stock rims.

In the winter I will run the A/S 3s, they are amazing tires in the cold, and still very good in warm weather, but with 600rwhp, if the MPSS are any better I will take all the traction I can get.

January112013rims008_zpsbf8e05cd.jpg

I just put on Black AMR rims today, 19x8.5 front and 19x10 rear.

I am ordering MPSS 255/40/19s and 295/35/19s.

I might need to lower the car as the 8.5s make the front tires taller and the 10s make the rears shorter than the stock 9.5" rims.

It makes the rear wheel gap huge.

Rimsmorepics014_zps9ac5ec23.jpg

January112013rims031_zps4d02895a.jpg

Rimsmorepics016_zps39874bf6.jpg

You might want to try a 265/35/19 on the front. It will fit. I have a 275/35/19 on the front. There is a gap there and I will be lowering my car next week. I'll post pic's once it's done.

Archived