TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Precise "1 Of #" Production Certificates

Will's Shelby

So, according to Matlock, I have a "1 of 3" 2014 Shelby GT500. In trusting this information, I have been trying to find a way to get a certified certificate to say as such.

The one I got from Elena Ford just states it's 1 of 220 Ingot Silver coupes. The certificate from Ford Show Parts gets a tad more specific, but when I called they told me that I would have to look at the attached build sheet with the options and could use that to show that it is a 1 of 3. That is fine, but I really would like something I could hang on my wall, take to shows, etc that says on the actual certificate that it is a 1 of 3 car.

With all of the cool vehicles everyone on this site owns or has owned, I know there are plenty that were "1 of #". In all of you all's experiences, have you been able to get a more precise certificate and where did you get it? (or what site, etc).

Thanks a bunch!

Will

They will never break them down that far at ford level. It's guys like madlock and dubbs that can sift through the mountains of information to do this for us and they ask for nothing in return. Great people in my book. With the number of orderable combos offered on this car I doubt we will ever get much more than the spreadsheet breakdown like I saw for the 13 cars. I hope mine is still a 1 off oddball but have not had this confirmed yet.

Well sure. But it's just nice when you have something that backs up a claim. I appreciate any info I can get from anyone, but at the end of the day, if I don't know someone, I don't know them. Besides, 20 years down the road, what do I have to go by other than just someone told me? Should be an understandable point to have documentation and historical literature that can only help make an automobile more valuable. We all know how proper documentation affects a cars value to the market, and to perhaps the next person who owns it if it's ever sold...

Ford can break down the MY production info to the last nut & bolt, it's just a matter of sorting the data.

The spread sheet breaks it down by options, which is half the work. One would think that for $ 46.00, you would get better data than " 1 0f 220 ".

Matlock got you to " 1 of 3 " somehow, what does he know that Ford doesn't ?

I completely agree idle-hour.

And I have no idea. lol. I've asked him his relation to Ford/Shelby/whatever, but his response was, well....let's just say it wasn't expected, and certainly not Ford related or answered my question. lol. It was humorous though.

Doesnt the spredsheet break down productions #s by options, body style, exterior paint codes, and stripes? If so then wouldnt it show the breakdown of our Shelbys in this way? According to Madlock mine is 1 of 5 with DIB w/ White Stripes, no option Convertible.

...when I called they told me that I would have to look at the attached build sheet with the options and could use that to show that it is a 1 of 3.

I'm not a stats major, but I don't see any way to get the level of detail you (and many of us) would like, based on what Ford provides. I realize Black is the most prevalent color, but I was interested in something better than the "908 of 1464" my certificate says. Based on the micro-printed data Ford included, my Black Coupe appears to be 1 of 800 with Black Recaros, 1 of 1072 with SVTTP, 1 of 1150 with Stripes, 1 of 1124 with the Electronics/Nav package, 1 of 1329 with SVTPP, 1 of 984 with Shaker 1000, and 1 of 934 with the Full Vehicle Cover. :sos:

Madlock sifted through all of that to tell me there were actually 1467 Black Coupes in the 2013 MY, 701 of which got black stripes, and that mine is 1 of 202 configured the way it is. With all due respect to Ford and every math teacher I had over the years, how are we mere mortals supposed to use the former data to derive the latter conclusion Madlock kindly provided? :shrug:

They will never break them down that far at ford level. It's guys like madlock and dubbs that can sift through the mountains of information to do this for us and they ask for nothing in return. Great people in my book.

+1.

But the sad thing is that Ford does know exactly what it's selling, it has to. The data is on a spreadsheet somewhere & just has to be sorted.

I would think this would be child's play for some IT guy. Remember we're looking @ less than 6,000 units,( MY 2014 ), not several million.

It should be as easy as selecting a body color & a set of option codes, hit sort, & a series of VIN #'s should come up.

What if " ALL " owners of 2007 thru 2014 GT500's contacted customer service & asked the same question ?

Give your MY, VIN #, and ask how many cars like yours were built ? It may get Ford's attention !

But the sad thing is that Ford does know exactly what it's selling, it has to. The data is on a spreadsheet somewhere & just has to be sorted.

I would think this would be child's play for some IT guy. Remember we're looking @ less than 6,000 units,( MY 2014 ), not several million.

It should be as easy as selecting a body color & a set of option codes, hit sort, & a series of VIN #'s should come up.

What if " ALL " owners of 2007 thru 2014 GT500's contacted customer service & asked the same question ?

Give your MY, VIN #, and ask how many cars like yours were built ? It may get Ford's attention !

+1 +1 +1 !

Can somebody post a link to the "Matlock" site for certificates? I google searched without success. Thanks

Ha. Isn't this what it has come down to though? I mean, just reading that and I couldn't help but laugh. Matlock is so trusted with numbers we have people asking for the "Matlock site" (no offense Blackhawkpilot), but we can't get any additional backing of authenticity on those numbers.

Again, I have to say that we appreciate whatever Matlock does to get these. It's just funny how this is our only avenue. Through someone who won't say how they get them, who they are or what they do to lay a concrete basis of these numbers being true....much less a certificate stating such from Ford or Shelby. Matlock told me that hey, they make money on certificates just saying you have # of 90000....well, i'd pay an additional $ just to get something that says on a true letterhead that I have, for certain, a # of # car. Not just the fact I have a 1 of 5675. To me, I already know that!

You go through Ford Show Parts, and they feed you one number. You go through another site, and they give you another number. I mean what are we paying for here? To me, if they can't be accurate, I'm a fool for paying for a non precise sheet.

Though in my opinion, the Shelby is a fantastic deal, but it's still a lot of money. And for that amount of $, we should be able to know how many others just like ours is out there, especially when one of the many reasons we buy/collect cars is based upon rarity of certain models/options/etc. Matlock certainly can get the numbers...why is it so hard to get a hard document stamped by Ford stating such. Should be an easy thing, and, they would make money doing it. Sounds like a no-brainer. They make more money, we are happy customers.

Matlock...set it up man.

After reading this thread over the past few days, I too wanted to contact "Matlock" and ask him to see what he could find out about my car. Who wouldn't want to know if their car is somehow that elusive 1-of-1 combination of colors and options.

However, I figure that Matlock would be swamped with requests now that the word is out that he is the go to guy for this information. Because of that, I haven't contacted him yet, and figured I'd wait until after the holidays Even if he enjoys helping out Team Shelby members find information on their cars that ,apparently, others can't (or are unwilling to) provide, I still consider it an imposition on the man.

On the other hand, if he charged a nominal fee, and provided some sort of legitimate looking certificate stating the numbers he had determined, I would have already sent the man a check!

.....guess I'll put a note to myself to send him a PM some time in January.

Z-man

Several years ago, TS member Burning Blue Star lV use to post detailed build info for new and current GT500 owners. Apparently, Ford took notice of the threads and put a lid on it. Here's one thread that survived the purge.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/45619-the-waiting-game-version-20/

PS: Does anybody know what became of BBSlV ???

They will never break them down that far at ford level. It's guys like madlock and dubbs that can sift through the mountains of information to do this for us and they ask for nothing in return. Great people in my book. With the number of orderable combos offered on this car I doubt we will ever get much more than the spreadsheet breakdown like I saw for the 13 cars. I hope mine is still a 1 off oddball but have not had this confirmed yet.

I appreciate the compliment, but only Madlock has done the work that goes into that.

This puts me in a really tight spot here guys. Since becoming friends with some of our best people at Ford, I have had the honor to learn some of the neatest things Ford is doing and working on for the future. I try to share what I can, and at the very least, provide information of that kind to you all because THIS is where the people that care the most reside. (Forums like TS and SVTP)

I once got several people in major trouble with the Ford glass tower for inadvertently revealing the 2013 specs here on Team Shelby before it was released publicly.(I was informed it was announced at a TS Dearborn event, but it had not been) A few of you may actually remember that thread. I vowed to never do that again. Now my focus is to give subtle nudges and hints to information NOT disclosed to me under secrecy, and to dispel misinformation over leaking secrets that just arent true. Sometimes that's a tough job.

What we have here is a totally different thing. Lets just say that information is available to the person willing to spend- well, I cant even begin to imagine- the hundreds? of hours for a given year model. I know how to do it, but just dont have that kind of time. And if you guys knew how Madlock did this, you would be in AWE of what he has done. I wont say how he does it, so dont ask. What we dont want is another Blue Star issue.

The biggest problem with that kind of information is that you have to account for every single build done, so you have nothing until you have every one accounted for.

Guys, if you want to PM Madlock, I just ask that you treat him with respect, offer him something for his time, and remember he does this because he LOVES it, not because it is his job. It is NOT his job to provide this information to anyone.

Thanks everybody.

All understood; however, the subject line of this thread remains.

Through the many responses to this thread, it is certainly evident of the amount of people who wish the same. There have been many other automobiles that have been certified as being this or that in the past. I appreciate your heart-felt wanting for all of us to know what goes into these things, and perhaps due to us not knowing exactly how these numbers come about (Matlock), we tend to not realize the hard work that potentially goes into finding these numbers.

On the same hand, the conversation that I had with Madlock was pretty quick. I asked the question, and within hours he had the exact (3) VIN numbers with my color/options/etc.To me, that isn't someone sweating over a desk of paperwork forever and a day. Now, "hours" is not to be qualified as exceptionally fast if he spent every minute of those hours dwindling those numbers down, but as someone above once said, there is no way someone at Ford can't just pull these numbers up. A mega-factory such as Flatrock I'm sure has the tightest of inventory control of autos built there, dispersed, and sold off. I commend Madlock on whatever he does to get these, but simply saying, a company as large as Ford to be thought of not having something in place so that they know exactly what number of items they build with all the different bells and whistles, well I think that would simply be an insult. All I'm asking if for an ACCURATE certificate that narrows down items more than the inconsistent, non-verified possibly, inaccurate numbers that we get. As said before between Madlock and I...the number I got on my build sheet from Mrs. Ford was off by 7 coupes from the info Madlock had no more than 5 days later. That to me, is really kinda embarrassing as far as them sending out certified sheets to us on this stuff that not only are not really broken down very far, but I kinda feel ripped off... if they are going to be inaccurate, then they should wait until the production is over before printing such a thing. Can you imagine 50 years from now, 2 people, same car stating "mine is 1 of 100" and the other person saying, "well mine is 1 of 10" so it's worth more than yours cause it says so.

Now lets narrow this down even further. We aren't asking for numbers on the best selling full-size truck in America, or a 1992 Ford Taurus, etc. We are asking for the numbers on a very special vehicle, made in MUCH smaller amounts, and dealt with on a different level than just Ford alone. (Shelby, SVT). We want a certificate (accurate mind you) of how really rare our automobiles are (and there are a few of us!). This is after all one of the buying points at times (they get auctioned off on Barrett Jackson and Mecum all the time with the main point being the first one of this, last one of that, and also only one of that, etc. Do you REALLY think they don't have paperwork saying such??? Madlock is not on stage with the mic saying this and we all go "oh wow, ok, we now know". No we want documentation!)

In short:

Production ends. Due to the fact that counts of vehicles are counted in various configurations and tallied as production goes on, they should be able to give a "precise # of #" certificate for the SVT or Shelby automobiles. And an ACCURATE one at that. We will (and listen to this one SVT) PAY MONEY for this simple piece of paper that not only will increase customer satisfaction and put more money on your bottom line (small i know, but you take what you can get in these times financially), but creates less confusion years from now between all of the people that have these inaccurate certs that aren't even broken down and will also increase the future value of your collectible automobiles since we will now know the true rarity of each one.

For all those who possibly have a 1 of 1...I feel bad for them 30 years from now when they can't prove it! We could be talking thousands, or in the land of 70 hemi cudas.....a mill or 2.

I want an accurate certificate that says my bad ass automobile is 1 of 3. It should be super easy to do, I'd pay money for it, and it will show you listened to your fans.

I ask anyone who may have some pull to help us all make this a reality.

Thanks.

Will

I guess what you are missing it the point that ford OWES us nothing! They have our money they are not obligated to break it down. My 97 cobra certificate is no different. 372 PAC green verts. 365 with saddle top/ saddle leather. Mine is a Canadian car. Know how I found out how many were in Canada? I called every svt dealer and talked to the manager. This was way back In 97! The number I got was 6. This was later confirmed by another owner who called ford and pestered them until they told him. They kept telling him that the number on the certificate was all they felt like releasing.

But giving inaccurate numbers is bad on many fronts. I was given one number, Madlock was given another. Both from Ford.

If you are going to put a number on a paper, it should be accurate. Period. I want a paper with an accurate number. I think there are lots from my last post that you are missing, but you can't please everyone. You can't tell me that you don't wish you had a cert at the end of production that gave you an accurate number. Sounds to me like it would have saved you a lot of your time...and that's what I'm trying to do. I can't possibly imagine anyone who would be against having something that certifies your car. So, either there is support, or there is none the way I look at it. I'm still going to pursue whether there are non-supporters or not. You have to see the good in the efforts.

Oh I know exact ally what you are saying. I trust madlocks info way more than fords at this point. He has a good post over on svtp right now on basically how the info on certificates is gathered. Is it a bit troubling that they can give out seemingly misleading info? Sure is, especially when you are paying for it! In all reality I would love to have a paper stating my car is a 1of1 ( if it still is) but the fact is I don't know if anyone will have the ability or the authority to give us a document that we seek. Picture this, I somehow get all the data and sort it. I figure out every shelby built in 14. Ok, so now I print up a certificate for everyone . The world just says " who is this clown with these papers?" They still mean nothing unless ford does the work and verifies it

Well well...what do we have here? Turns out, the certificates from Ford Show Parts actually used to show what I have been wanting to see. According to a post one of the other forums (instant message me if you want the address), they used to put the "1 of #" based upon the FULL customer build configuration...

BuildDataLetter001

If you look where I highlighted it, it distinctly says..."One of two produced with this vehicle configuration".
This not only confirms my initial beliefs that they know these numbers, but that it couldn't have been that hard to come by. And not only that, they even used to put it on the darn certificate. So, next step at this point (other than the email that I sent to Ford earlier today) is who to network through to try and lobby to get this put back on. And really in a nutshell, this is all I was asking for. And I am sure everyone would be happy to see this back on the certificate for all of the reasons mentioned through all of my posts. Yes, the inaccurate numbers situation mentioned before still need to be dealt with, but if we can get the "1 of #" put back on, that would certainly be a start.
It does make me wonder, and I'm betting they took it off for a reason, why it was taken off anyways. Hopefully I will hear more soon...

post-42180-0-03751200-1387581274_thumb.jpg

post-42180-0-03751200-1387581274_thumb.jpg

Addressing Will-

Yes, I agree. Ford is happy to sell you a car based on its exclusivity, but then when you ask for a simple breakdown of YOUR car in relation to general build data, they don't seem interested in going that extra step. I own a 14, and I get it. In fact, Im gonna talk to the people that do the SVT certificates and find out what I can. I will just say that one wrinkle is if they do that for 14, then everyone with a 2007 up is gonna be knocking down doors to get it.

If Ford is as interested in the Shelby registry as they claim to be, they should already have that information ready to hand over as the GT500 is by far the largest number of Shelby's to compile, and nearly impossible for a Shelby registrar to figure out without them.

I can guarantee you that Matlock information is the most accurate due to the process in which he gathers it. It leaves no way for a gt500 to get by without being accounted for.

Archived