TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Gt-500Kr® Handling Kit M-23000-Kr

supe

Got the alignment done at Ford this AM, the tech complemented us on how well we did on the install and our "seat of the pants" alignment. Nice to have a technician w/30 years of experience like your work

• 3 weeks later...

It should. They may have said 2008 cause the KR was only produced on the 08 and 09 model years. I'm not aware of any differences between the 07 and 08 models on the suspension side that would cause an issue.

Safe bet would be to call the guys at the Ford Racing tech line - http://www.fordracingparts.com/Contacts/ContactFrpp.asp

They can tell you for sure.

I've had my kit on for about a month now. Loving the ride, although I am thinking about cutting half a coil off the rears to level the stance a bit more. This may require an adjustable panhard bar though. I just wish I could drop the rear springs out easier. The craziness with the convertible bracing makes it a bit of a pain.

IMG_20140502_184955_132_zpsnmzgcvvu.jpg

Also, I really need to get darker tint on those front turn signals.

I've had my kit on for about a month now. Loving the ride, although I am thinking about cutting half a coil off the rears to level the stance a bit more....

I'd put some weight in the trunk and drive it around for a few weeks. The springs will probably settle some. The Vogtland springs that I put on my '08 Bullitt have settled a little in the rear, after the car was loaded up for a few road trips. If you cut, you may not like it later on... :)

It's been about a month, I don't expect them to settle anymore than they already have. Drop matches what most people claim to get out of these springs. For $200 I can buy a whole other set of shocks and springs if need be lol.

It's been about a month, I don't expect them to settle anymore than they already have. Drop matches what most people claim to get out of these springs. For $200 I can buy a whole other set of shocks and springs if need be lol.

I was going to say, when I had all the KR suspension pieces in place I too wasn't happy with how high the rear was either. They do settle (a hair) after the install but remain too high. You can't really cut them (properly) due to the way they are coiled. I'd just replace them with a pair of Roush's rear only springs and be done with it.

I was going to say, when I had all the KR suspension pieces in place I too wasn't happy with how high the rear was either. They do settle (a hair) after the install but remain too high. You can't really cut them (properly) due to the way they are coiled. I'd just replace them with a pair of Roush's rear only springs and be done with it.

Aah, just went and looked again and I'd forgotten that the final coil on both the top and bottom in the rear is a smaller diameter than the rest. Guess I'll just leave it as is or look into some different springs.

Installed the kit last Friday. Took about 5+ hours give or take using a lift. The hardware that came with the kit was not correct for the strut bolts up front had to reuse the old ones (4). The spring compressor that I borrowed from Auto Zone was totally useless but really didn't need it luckily was able to push down hard enough to start the nut.

Also was not able to get a torque reading on the upper rear shocks bolt due to the shock turning with the nut, was doing it alone.

I have bad shoulders and feel it now.

Anyway I like the lower look especially in the rear. Havent really pushed it to see any difference at higher speed.

Also have not had it alined not sure if I need to since it stays straight on the highway and doesn't appear to stray left or right.

Edited by cormy

Installed the kit last Friday. Took about 5+ hours give or take using a lift. The hardware that came with the kit was not correct for the strut bolts up front had to reuse the old ones (4). The spring compressor that I borrowed from Auto Zone was totally useless but really didn't need it luckily was able to push down hard enough to start the nut.

Also was not able to get a torque reading on the upper rear shocks bolt due to the shock turning with the nut, was doing it alone.

I have bad shoulders and feel it now.

Anyway I like the lower look especially in the rear. Havent really pushed it to see any difference at higher speed.

Also have not had it alined not sure if I need to since it stays straight on the highway and doesn't appear to stray left or right.

I had the same issue with the front strut hardware. There was a change in the components at some point where they moved to a much finer thread pitch on the front struts and the kit included the coarser thread nuts.

Million dollar question (for me) - will this kit work with 20 inch wheels? 315 35 in rear and 275 in front? Anyone?

Should not pose a problem at all. There is still a good sized gap between the fenders and the tires. This isn't the suspension to "slam the car", but you probably will need to add an adjustable rear panhard bar to the equation as lowering the rear any amount will push the axle off center.

...This isn't the suspension to "slam the car", but you probably will need to add an adjustable rear panhard bar to the equation as lowering the rear any amount will push the axle off center.

Even the stock KRs had the axle shifted slightly off center. First mod to my KR was to replace the stock panhard with an adjustable; couldn't stand one wheel 1/2" further out than the other. Besides the centering, the aftermarket panhards have stiffer bushings, helping the rear end feel less "shifty" when cornering on less than perfect surfaces. :)

• 3 months later...

Today Tana's 500 and my 500 went into Vancouver Ford to get alignments since we have the KR handling kit on our cars now. I made sure I had a Master Tech do the work on their brand new Hunter Hawk Eye alignment machine. The new machine did not scratch the wheels at all. The probes are real small and he used some lube on them to insert them between the rubber and the rim. Each car cost $89 dollars less my 10% discount for belonging to NW Mustangs and Classic Fords car club.

Robsprintout.jpg

Tanasprintout.jpg

10460716_709357369145953_269245346944087

10603400_709358045812552_466458213994160

10644447_709358049145885_459809945448558

10620548_709358042479219_586783795687144

10614403_709357362479287_319762650916880

10593041_709357355812621_152477654259706

10517531_709357365812620_830339534586610

Looks like the cars were in the "green" aside from a little extra toe in before any adjustments were made? Good to know. I've been debating going lower with mine but will be waiting to get new wheels first.

Just for the record the combination of the KR handling pack + factory sized Nitto NT-555's and I've not seen one bit of wheelhop on the street. I'm sure on a sticky enough track it may raise it's head. But with those two being my only suspension/tire related mods the car is either hooking or spinning, but never hopping even with the added horsepower.

• 3 months later...

As you know I changed both my GT500 and my wifes GT500 to all the KR suspension parts recently and I was unable to locate the front sway bars anywhere. I just ordered 2 of them for our His and Hers 500's. $50 bucks each and $15.15 each on the shipping on the SPP site here.

$ 50.00 each. These sway bars are surplus from the 2008-2009 Shelby GT500KR program. They may contain minor cosmetic scratches from storage.

7R33-5482-BA-2KRfrontswaybar-1.jpg

How do these compare with the factory front swaybars?

See the part in bold below

In the name of better turn-in and more grip from the Mustang chassis, SVT has made another pass at the GT500's suspension. Slightly stiffer springs and a lighter-rate front antiroll bar are fitted, and the rebound damping is nearly twice that of the GT500. A more aggressive front-end alignment adds negative camber and removes the toe-in found at the front of the GT500, helping the softer-compound (a 180 treadwear rating compared to the GT500's 220) Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires to bite the tarmac with increased tenacity.

I thought I'd read that they went with the lighter front bar (some say it's from the V6 program as was the rear wing). Given the amount of chassis roll I wonder if it was an attempt to change the front vs rear roll balance without going to a bigger bar out back? It's just interesting as it's the only example I've seen where the "upgrade" for the front bar consists of a lighter bar than provided from the factory. I'd ask you how it drives with the new bar, but I'm not sure you've had much compatible weather in the pacific northwest recently.

Edited by mavisky

I thought I'd read that they went with the lighter front bar (some say it's from the V6 program as was the rear wing). Given the amount of chassis roll I wonder if it was an attempt to change the front vs rear roll balance without going to a bigger bar out back? It's just interesting as it's the only example I've seen where the "upgrade" for the front bar consists of a lighter bar than provided from the factory. I'd ask you how it drives with the new bar, but I'm not sure you've had much compatible weather in the pacific northwest recently.

The front sway bars are not the same bar that is in the V6 Mustangs. They are special engineered for the KR. That is why I could not find them anywhere. Now a few have surfaced and it is the only part I am missing on our 2 KR suspension systems. I will let you know how it drives once I receive the part and install it.

The tag number 7R33-5482-BA on the "KR" sway bar is also found on the standard GT sway bar and I think it was also used on 07-09 GT500 convertibles. At the time they did the KR they didn't have a larger rear bar in the parts bin. I replaced mine when I installed the kit so I can't say how much difference the sway bar makes. I've read that the GT500 front sway bar is the same 34 mm diameter as the GT with 5.8 vs 5.1 wall thickness.

Grabber, can I request that you take your standard level of high quality photos of this item when it arrives. If it is in fact the same bar I already have on my 09 convertible I'd like to know before I mistakenly order a duplicate.

Grabber, can I request that you take your standard level of high quality photos of this item when it arrives. If it is in fact the same bar I already have on my 09 convertible I'd like to know before I mistakenly order a duplicate.

I will see what I can do. The items have not shipped yet for some reason.